Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help!!! I have had 3 k01's, ALL with focus issues

I am on my 3rd K01. I tested all on a tripod doing a focus test in several conditions. I also own 2 K5's. ALL my lenses (about 15 of them) work just fine with my K5's. HOWEVER, the first K01 I returned for shutdowns, the second due to incosistent focusing with a Tamron 28-75 and DA 16-45. Now my 3rd K01 focuses good with a 40mm XS I got with it, and it focuses good with my DA16-45. BUT, I am still having issues with the Tamron 28-75.

I have installed firmware v1.03 on all cams. I even reverted back to v1.01 on the first 2 with no success.

The behavior is as follows....Tripoded, I focus at the target (using both spot or select) the K01 focuses upon first half press, misses with a back focus (bf), then i recompose, and it hits. BUT, without moving, I recompose again, i get bf, recompose again, it centers, etc etc. In other words, the K01 will alternate centering focus, then back focusing, centering focus, then back focusing, with every shutter press.

WHAT A WEIRD ISSUE. I love this camera, but this 3rd one is going to have to go if this persists.

SO, I just wanna know from K01 users:
1- has anyone had this issue with the Tamron 28-75
2- has anyone had this issue with other lenses
3- has anyone seen a fix for this???

What is anyone's recommendations.

I am about to just give up.......

04-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've just bought a K-01 and 40XS kit. At first it seemed OK, but upon reviewing the pics on a larger monitor, I see misfocuses in quite a few images. Pity, I loved the little thing to bits. Still do TBH.

Last edited by Giklab; 04-27-2013 at 01:36 PM.
04-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #3

Mine focuses ok with the 40XS wile away from the subject, but miss focuses a lot in close ups, I use my 6D for that or manual focus Still, love the funky K01
04-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I've just bought a K-01 and 40XS kit. At first it seemed OK, but upon reviewing the pics on a larger monitor, I see misfocuses in quite a few images. Pity, I loved the little thing to bits. Still do TBH.
What percent of your shots are misses? I see miss focuses from any system or lens/cam combo. But I am exactly missing 50% or more of my shots with the 28-75/K01 combo

I am shocked the 40mm XS is giving issues. Did you tripod and recompose between each shot?

04-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JF Jayhawk Quote
I am on my 3rd K01. I tested all on a tripod doing a focus test in several conditions. I also own 2 K5's. ALL my lenses (about 15 of them) work just fine with my K5's. HOWEVER, the first K01 I returned for shutdowns, the second due to incosistent focusing with a Tamron 28-75 and DA 16-45. Now my 3rd K01 focuses good with a 40mm XS I got with it, and it focuses good with my DA16-45. BUT, I am still having issues with the Tamron 28-75.

I have installed firmware v1.03 on all cams. I even reverted back to v1.01 on the first 2 with no success.

The behavior is as follows....Tripoded, I focus at the target (using both spot or select) the K01 focuses upon first half press, misses with a back focus (bf), then i recompose, and it hits. BUT, without moving, I recompose again, i get bf, recompose again, it centers, etc etc. In other words, the K01 will alternate centering focus, then back focusing, centering focus, then back focusing, with every shutter press.

WHAT A WEIRD ISSUE. I love this camera, but this 3rd one is going to have to go if this persists.

SO, I just wanna know from K01 users:
1- has anyone had this issue with the Tamron 28-75
2- has anyone had this issue with other lenses
3- has anyone seen a fix for this???

What is anyone's recommendations.

I am about to just give up.......
The concept of front focus/back focus doesn't really apply to the K-01 as it uses contrast detect AF only. It sounds like the camera is simply not focusing where you want it to focus. This could potentially happen when the area you're trying to focus on includes things at varying distances from your camera. So I'd recommend either making your AF area smaller, or pointing it somewhere else on the frame. Since contrast detect AF averages a given region to obtain the highest contrast, it tries to maximize the sharpness of the whole region, and their could be multiple maxima.

With that said, sometimes the system just doesn't get things right. It can even miss the point of focus entirely. But that's not going to vary from camera to camera with the K-01

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The concept of front focus/back focus doesn't really apply to the K-01 as it uses contrast detect AF only. It sounds like the camera is simply not focusing where you want it to focus. This could potentially happen when the area you're trying to focus on includes things at varying distances from your camera. So I'd recommend either making your AF area smaller, or pointing it somewhere else on the frame. Since contrast detect AF averages a given region to obtain the highest contrast, it tries to maximize the sharpness of the whole region, and their could be multiple maxima.

With that said, sometimes the system just doesn't get things right. It can even miss the point of focus entirely. But that's not going to vary from camera to camera with the K-01
First, thank you for the response.

Secondly, I understand Phase Detect vs Contrast Detect and how it functions.

Third, let me reiterate more clearly. I am VERY detailed with test methods. I place a stuffed animal with a spot light on it, tripoded 2 K5's using BOTH Contrast Detect and Phase Detect on THE SAME EXACT FOCAL POINT.

Fourth, I did the exact same thing with the K01.

Fifth, all images are framed so perfectly, you cannot tell the images apart other than blur/focal points.

Sixth, the K01 changes point of focus in perfect alternation (on center, next composition, back focus, etc etc) using the Tamron 28-75, but achieved perfect focus with the 40mm XS and DA16-45.

Seventh, to recompose, I did not move the camera or the subject. I did half press, got back focus, did half press, got center focus, did half press etc etc.

Eight, the 'focus area' contained a perfect emblem that had texture and color which varied from the area outside the focus area, in other words, it was perfectly distinguishable.

This K01 focus issue cannot have anything to do with Contrast Detect systems in and of themselves, it is the K01...2 K5's I have had no issues using contrast detect.

Most importantly, this is the behavior of the K01 in every situation using the 28-75, but NEVER with my K5's in any situation, contrast detect or phase detect.

Thank you.
04-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, maybe there is just some communication problem between the K-01 and Tamronlens. So if you have a few Pentax lenses that do work, then maybe live with the shortcoming on this lens.
04-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well, maybe there is just some communication problem between the K-01 and Tamronlens. So if you have a few Pentax lenses that do work, then maybe live with the shortcoming on this lens.
I agree with this comment. I have a K-01 and it works perfectly with all but the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 macro. It just doesn't focus with this lens. I have only tried this combination for distance shots though. It just continually hunts. I expect it is the combination with the non-Pentax lens. I use my K-01 with a 15 limited, FA 50, the XS, a DA* 16-50 and a FA 100 macro, all work fine. Don't totally blame the camera. And yes I have done focus tests with a focus test target.

04-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the K-01 myself, and so does my son. We have used the FA Ltd trio, the 40 XS, 18-135, Sigma 17-50, FA50 f1.7, F28 f2.8, all focus most excellently on both cameras.
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmm interesting. I've never had any problems with my tammy.
04-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

What percent of your shots are misses? I see miss focuses from any system or lens/cam combo. But I am exactly missing 50% or more of my shots with the 28-75/K01 combo

I am shocked the 40mm XS is giving issues. Did you tripod and recompose between each shot?
I didn't do controlled tests, I just noticed a higher number of misfocuses that I was used to. Also, for example, a flower about 50cm away in full daylight doesn't require a tripod IMO.

Or maybe it's just me having high expectations.
04-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Interesting test JF! If I am reading you correctly, it sounds like there might be a problem with the K-01/Tamron combo when the lens is pre-focused. That is, if when you half-press the shutter, the lens was already in focus, then it won't actually come back to this point and you get an out-of focus shot. To establish if this is the case, I would try alternating shots of two objects back and forth (at different distances, obviously). If those shots are consistently in focus, then you have confirmed that this is the problem, and I don't think you need to worry too much about the problem. In real-world scenarios, you're probably unlikely to encounter many cases where your lens is precisely focused prior to you engaging the AF system. If you still get AF issues in the new test, then maybe there's indeed a (different, more serious) problem...

Last edited by Doundounba; 04-28-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add ref to OP