Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

schmutz! help with sensor cleaning

Alright--

I wanna make sure I am not screwing things up worse than I already have here. First of all, here's the situation (I think). I think I had a speck of shutter lubricant (possibly? Does the K-o1 leaf shutter use a lubricant that can splash on the sensor?) and tried to remove it thinking it was dust using the Promaster knock-off of the Pentax cleaning kit (the gummy stick). I have removed dust on my other K-o1 with it successfully. Problem is, I redistributed schmutz all over the sensor. I firmly believe it is a grime and oil type of residue.

So here's the question: I have noticed that there are various cleaning products around. Some with alcohol, some with methanol, some with no harsh solvent. I am inclined toward the strongest crap I can find -- methanol sounds good. Fast evaporation. However, the further I dug into some of the wet cleaning solutions, the more I am discovering that there can be issues with reactivity depending on sensor coatings. For instance, the tin oxide coating on some Nikon sensors.

I have even gone so far as to ask a friend who is a scientist what she uses on her optics. Her answer was methanol, acetate, methanol in that order. Sometimes 99.999% isop. alc.

So--specific to the K-o1, are there any considerations that I am unaware of? I read in another post that maybe the K-o1 doesnt have all the layers on the sensor that the k-5 has or something? Want to be sure I am not removing anything or putting something in there that is going to corrode the interior.

Thanks!

05-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Following this thread out of interest.

Mike
05-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you got on to it cristigj
Sooner cleaned the better
05-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used lab grade methanol on my bodies (pentax and canon) with no ill effects, but I don't have the k-01. I use a pec-pad or kim-wipe wrapped around a swab and a couple drops of methanol and blower if needed. I do have a o-ick1 but as you found it is only good on dry dust. Sensor cleaning is a real drag and I've learned to not try for perfectly clean at f22 because it will be even more irritating when it gets dirty again.

05-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I found a really good article on photo.net
Cleaning your DSLR Sensor: Tips and Advice - photo.net

It is a little ways down in the article but they recommend this company Cleaning Digital Sensors, Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions - Photographic Solutions

I have not used any of their products personally but it seems like they are legit.
05-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Iso-propyl alcohol is generally seen as a good general-purpose solvent for subtle cleaning jobs and it can solve oils (Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but it is not aggressive. It doesn't solve plastics. I have seen it was also used to remove fungus from lens elements, elsewhere on this forum.