Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
Didn't the original Q get focus peaking when it was discontinued?

Cheers,
It very much did, yeah.

Providing new features for existing K-01 users by way of firmware updates seems a very cost-efficient way to (i) get us to keep investing in lenses, and (ii) hold on and be ready to upgrade until Marc Newson has finished designing a K-02 body

05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, that is good news then chaps,...

It means that the video processing side of things is able to output two video streams simultaneously, suggesting that the SOC in the heart of the K-01 has more processing power then those found in the Canon products,...

Oh, and one more feature I'd like, and again it's all about video, is for the camera to be able to format and use SD Cards with ExFat instead of Fat32.
This would do away with needing to stop recording video once each file reaches 4 gigabytes in size, or just under 20 minutes with the current data rate.

Hrm,... I think I'll have to go through the suggestions and edit them all in to my original post.
05-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've edited the first post,... now to see if I can find a Sale/Marketing/Service/Etc rep to get to read it
05-06-2013, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using the K-30 and GRD4 a lot lately, and now when I take the K-01 I miss the horizon level meter.

05-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That would require either accelerometers or the GPS - I noticed the Compass symbol is greyed out in the current choices for the OSD - or some way to look at the horizon in the image.

I'd be inclined to use on of the free apps for my BlackBerry PlayBook to do that one, with the PlayBook held upright on the top of the camera like a builders spirit level.
05-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
That would require either accelerometers or the GPS - I noticed the Compass symbol is greyed out in the current choices for the OSD - or some way to look at the horizon in the image.

I'd be inclined to use on of the free apps for my BlackBerry PlayBook to do that one, with the PlayBook held upright on the top of the camera like a builders spirit level.
I think that the Compass symbol in the K-01 is grayed out when the O-GPS1 isn't attached. I do not know if the K-01 has accelerometers, it has *something* permitting it to detect camera orientation, but it may be nothing more than the modern equivalent of a mercury-switch (yes, I know, showing age here...) and thus not sufficient precise for artificial horizon....
05-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I've edited the first post,... now to see if I can find a Sale/Marketing/Service/Etc rep to get to read it
Send it to Pentax USA Customer Support, Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA. In April last year I reported the early problem with the green button and screw-mount lenses, Customer Support passed it on to engineers in Japan, and it was fixed in v. 1.01. They do listen.
05-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Actually, to your edits of the first post....O-GPS1 works fine for geotagging. It is "simple nav" and "astrotracer" that doesn't work / isn't supported on K-01.

"simple nav" is relatively useless for me, but astrotracer would be nice.

05-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't do much in that area beside some nice Bulb mode shots of clouds and cityscapes and the like,... Tell me more about Astrotracer T.C..

Mercury reed switch still have their places, fluid level switches in water tanks, simple door open sensors, even excessive G-Load switches.

Great tip nparsons !!

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
05-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #40
m8o
Veteran Member

My wish list, after just a few hours of use w/my newly un-boxed K-01...

1) add 8x and 10x LiveView zoom please

2) I'll echo others that focus peaking would be better with an adaptable sensitivity and different peaking color. And I find it to be pretty much useless using my MF Vivitar 7mm lens even wide open @ f/3.5, negating the main reason I got the K-01. I have not tried it on my 55mm f/1.2 yet but I have hope it will be more useful with that.

3) an "Auto" option in the ISO selector would be much apreciated. That could get operating the K-01 'closer' to my most used mode on the K10D and K-5, TAv mode. After just a few hours I'm surprised at learning I sssooo miss TAv and hate being locked to an ISO and not being able to have it automatically adjusted by the camera.

4) Oh, one more. This may be there and I just have to read the manual to find how; but I sure couldn't find it pressing every button while viewing a zoomed-in photo. The ability to advance forward/back between two pictures that are zoomed in. I got the K10D because it had front & rear dials, and I was so happy the K-5 had it too, and I could always use the front dial to move forward/back between two zoomed in images. I avoided buying a body that doesn't have the two dials, and now that I have I've confirmed that I miss the extra dial. This forward/back featrue of a zoomed picture view is sorely missed in my few hours w/the K-01.

Last edited by m8o; 05-08-2013 at 04:32 PM.
05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
3) an "Auto" option in the ISO selector would be much apreciated. That could get operating the K-01 'closer' to my most used mode on the K10D and K-5, TAv mode. After just a few hours I'm surprised at learning I sssooo miss TAv and hate being locked to an ISO and not being able to have it automatically adjusted by the camera.
Maybe I don't understand you're problem here, but there is an Auto option in ISO selection (see p. 79 in the manual). For example, using a lens with A on the aperture ring, to get TAv mode set your lens aperture ring on A and the mode dial on M, then press the ISO button (^), scroll up to highlight the Auto ISO line, and press OK. "TAv" will appear on the LCD.
05-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #42
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
Maybe I don't understand you're problem here, but there is an Auto option in ISO selection (see p. 79 in the manual). For example, using a lens with A on the aperture ring, to get TAv mode set your lens aperture ring on A and the mode dial on M, then press the ISO button (^), scroll up to highlight the Auto ISO line, and press OK. "TAv" will appear on the LCD.
Ack, that's what that line means! I thought that was only setting the range permissible for setting of ISO; it didn't occur to me I could leave the selection on that line. I should have realized what you just described (given that 'Auto' to the left). Silly me. Thanx very much. (I just got the camera today and even said to myself earlier today "I need to read that manual" when I walked back into the kitchen and saw it on the table.)
05-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
m8o,. Points 2) & 4) are in the lists already

Point 3) -> I'm same, still reading the manual again and again and finding more and more the camera can do. I was thinking of suggesting Zebra patterns till I found the 'Light & Dark' option.

Point 1) I'll have to check after recharging, but have you tried spinning the dial when in the Expanded Focus (digital zoom) mode - it alters the amount of digital zoom.
05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
For example, using a lens with A on the aperture ring, to get TAv mode set your lens aperture ring on A and the mode dial on M, then press the ISO button (^), scroll up to highlight the Auto ISO line, and press OK. "TAv" will appear on the LCD.
I didn't mean to imply that this works only with lenses with A on the aperture ring. It does the same with any lens with automatic aperture and no ring, such as DAs, DALs, FAJs.
05-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #45

Shake Reduction

Hi,

I am missing a SR option.
There is only "always on" and "image shot".
Why not if release button is pressed half way.

I am wondering why there is nobody who seems to miss this behaviour.
I am using a manual tele, where I need SR for focusing in live view.
If I use "always on" its making a lot of movements and noise during camera handling which does not feel nice and healthy.

So I would like to add this SR - Feature to the 1.04 wishlist.

Best regards,
Martin