Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't seem like a 1.05 with new features is in the cards. Just a few bug fixes and support for newer products (lenses and/or flashes) as necessary...

12-28-2013, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hope springs eternal,...

And of course, if we keep making our point succinctly, our favorite camera company learns what their loyal customers really want, and will add future features to meet demand as they develop new products.
12-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
HDMI out filming please!
12-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Going to edit that again,... HDMI Clean Feed Output, Without disabling LCD.

12-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Time for an Edit! Still would love what's missing to pop up in v1.05
New sections in Bold Type.

Most of this will make sense to Videographers and Film Makers,..
Feel free to add suggestions, with any luck the Pentax engineers will have a read and take up the challenge.

Edit: So lets see if editing the post works, and I'll try list everyone's suggestions here.
I'm splitting them in to Photo, Video and General categories.

Video,.
(Yes, I'm that self interested,...)

- Clean Feed HDMI output during recording - for use with external recorders like the Atamos with it's own LCD.
Not done yet,... but we can hope.
And please, leave the LCD Enabled when HDMI is plugged in, there's no reason to disable it. Having the LCD and the HDMI working together will make the camera extremely useful for Live Streaming use, when feeding HDMI based Vision Switchers like the BMD Atem.

- 48, 96, 144 and 192 shutter speeds - the multiples of 48 for when shooting video at 24fps.
Please Please Please Pentax ???

- 60, 120, 240, 480 etc - Shutter speeds for 30fps video.
Ditto!

- Options to choose higher MP4 bit rates - matching the 40 plus mbit/sec of the Canon's will make mixing footage in edits easy.
- Option to choose a Constant Bit Rate, at 30, 40 or 50 mbit/sec if the CPU can handle it.
Can't repeat these loudly enough. 21Mbits is just not enough, it's okay for basic editing, but starts to show limitations when Colour Grading.

- Option to 'click on, click off' the exposure preview when using manual lenses - this would mean not having to record on camera if the HDMI can be enabled. (Especially as the firmware already supports switching off the power saving options)
No longer an issue since the ISO Auto Gain was fixed, now if only we could have Clean Feed HDMI Output in 1.05 ???

- Option to swap Focus Peaking colour.

- Option to bump the audio sampling rate up to 44.1 or 48kHz

- Audio Level Meters in the OSD

- Option to set Log curves to sensor data - Adding a 'Custom' user defined setting instead of editing a preset.

- Option to be able to fix or turn off the auto ramping of the ISO when iris set to f-stop instead of 'A'
Yay for this being done in 1.04

- Support of ExFat formatted cards and file sizes. - No file size limits when recording.

- Split File Recording - Automatically start a new recording when the maximum file size is reached on FAT32 SD Cards.

- Cinema DNG Raw Compressed video ?
( That's just so I won't have to buy a BMD Pocket Cine camera and MFT to K-Mount adapter. )

- "Film" profile that records all of the sensor dynamic range in to the video file, instead of just the REC 709 standard dynamic range.

- No sensor cropping when SR is set OFF in video mode, so the whole width of the sensor is used.

Photo,.
Anyone care to let me know about which of these was done?

- The ability to assign a custom button to "set focal length" so I can use my manual zooms more easily

- The ability to use the red button to meter my manual lenses.

- Allow internal flash to master for external P-ttl slave flashes

- Sensor tilt-shift using the shake reducer

- Leave lenses fully open during focusing, both A and M focusing

- Bracketing with remote

- 5 shot bracketing

- Support for Tethered Shooting in Adobe Lightroom.

General,.

- WYSIWYG Preview Mode. i.e. the LCD image shows what the exposure is.

- Option to adjust EV when MANUAL and AUTO ISO are in use together
With the ISO in Auto in Av or P modes, hitting the +/- button brings up the EV adjustment.
Ditto with Av and P in Video Mode.
In Manual mode, same button brings up the EV, but it seems to be linked to the shutter speed. My test was with the lens set to a manual Iris position. When set to "A" the EV function disappears. Also when the Iris is set manually, the camera displays TAv instead of M in the LCD.

- Lower ISO numbers in both Photo and Video modes.

- More ISO settings between the current numbers - 60/80/120/160/240/320/480/640/960/1280/1920/2400/2560
Strangely enough, I had a situation where I more then enough light to shoot with, and was recording video with the ISO set to Auto IIRC, and was able to watch the ISO numbers going up and down, displaying numbers that are not selectable by the user.,
Been a few months and didn't think much of it at the time, and I'm stuffed if I can repeat it while trying tonight....,

- Ability to set Auto Ranges at the low end of the ISO range.

- Option for the histogram to display the predicted exposure result. (particularly useful when the lens is wide open for focus peaking)

- Support of GPS unit O-GPS1, specifically support for "Simple Nav" and "Astrotracer" products.

- Ability to assign Red and Green button to 'Next' or 'Previous' image during Playback mode, to navigate without exiting 'Zoom'.

- Option to switch green button to red and red to green. Make any function assignable to either.
The list of assignments appears identical with the exception of being able to swap the buttons themselves.

- Option to assign Focus Magnification to the Red/Green buttons

- More options with non-A lenses so we don't need to put tape on the lens contacts.
I think the correction of the ISO Auto Gain with Manual Iris and K-Manual lenses has negated the need to modify lenses.

- General improvements to Autofocus performance.
Yay for the improvements everyone has noticed so far.

- Ability to turn on or off single items in the On Screen Display

- Ability to activate Only Bright or Only Dark area display, and to be able to change the colour used for each.

And that's about it, I think I've edited in everyone's suggestions so far.

My personal experience is just getting better.,
I expected I'd get good photo's from my brand spanking new K-01, and so far the video is good, Rolling Shutter Skew on tripod is no better or worse then any other DSLR. It's got the potential to be, well, close to perfect, especially if the data rate could be lifted.
I can't praise the Pentax engineers enough, having had a P30n for the last 22 years, and getting a value-priced K-01 to use classic manual lenses on short films and music videos.

One extra note,.. Video Time Remaining Countdown,... YES YES YES THANKYOU !
I can't tell you how much of a big step up from 'other' DSLR brands that it, which just offer a number counting down to zero with no reference to space or time.
Ditto for the same display in playback.
hope the AF at low light performance could be improved
01-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #96

Remove "hiss" from audio recording?
01-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sergio:

The Hiss is resultant from using 32kHz sampling with the noise floor set too high - which is just one of the reasons that all cameras should record audio at 44.1kHz ( CD Quality ) or preferably at 48kHz, which is the film/tv industry defacto standard. I know of at least one video application that won't open video files unless the audio is 48kHz ( gee, thanks for that BlackMagic,... )

Jiangnan: We all want better low light AF

01-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Even Samsung Galaxy S2 uses 48kHz audio sample rate for video!
01-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #99

Thanks PiDicus Rex for the explanation. I guess that is a hardware issue. Too bad.
01-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #100
mbp

Umm... if only there was an option to record more vertical resolution in order to use a 2x anamorphic lens on the k01.
01-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
mbp : yuuuuuuuup

Seen these? Letus Anamorphic Lens Adapters
01-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Side note,... I've been doing more reading on CinemaDNG - turns out, the full raw version is just sensor data written to a TIFF Sequence, with one image per frame of video.

Compressed CinemaDNG is similar, but with JPEG compression inside the TIFF.

So, Compressed CinemaDNG is basically an open standard platform equivalent of MJPEG, but with the full dynamic range of the sensor.

This makes me have :lolz.

Crucially though, it means the ability to record CinemaDNG is dependent more on the bandwidth of the storage media's interface, then it is on the devices ability to do complex compression calculation.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 01-17-2014 at 07:00 AM.
01-17-2014, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Crucially though, it means the ability to record CinemaDNG is dependent more on the bandwidth of the storage media's interface, then it is on the devices ability to do complex compression calculation.
Click Me
01-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #104
mbp

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Haha. I used to be such a nazie grammar when people typed "then" instead of "than," but *than* () I realized I subconsciously make mistakes too. I particularly still have trouble with plural possessive nouns
I enjoyed the video you posted.

But going back to the topic, an 1.33x anamorphic lens would be more desirable, but they are waaaaay out of my price range.
01-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Meh,.... I'll blame the differences between US English and Australian English, after all, you blokes can't ever spell Colour right.

I'm not sure if the Letus Anamorphic was 2:1 or 1.33:1 - I'd just like to shoot 2.39 without cropping in post.