Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Wow, you guys are really getting in to the spirit of this

I'll edit the original post again, m8o, lower ISO's would be cool, I've had the CHDK firmware added to a Ixus105 for a while, and the ability to customise the ISO up or down added quite a bit of flexibility for some experimental shots.

Hypernotactive: Separate activation of Bright and Dark, I'd overlooked that one, too used to just having Zebra at 70, 80, 90, 100 %,...

Kameraten: Adjust Auto ISO range from bottom, or top. Check!
So, any thoughts on how to get Pentax' attention to this list?

I'd figure it a great opportunity for Pentax to build some goodwill around here, if they had an engineer pop in and say "These things are not possible with the current K-01 platform because of ....(not enough processor, circuitry not wired for it, ...) but we'll look at it for a future body; and these other things are possible in a firmware upgrade, we'll discuss it with our product mgmt team and get back to you".

It'd also allow them to say something like "Pentax: cameras designed with photographers for photographers"

I'd love to see a lot of this going into the K-01, and I'd be a lot more inclined to buy into a K-01++ if knowing that Pentax was taking such feedback to heart.

05-16-2013, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, here we are doing free R&D for them !
I think they really could do themselves some good by updating the firmware
with some of the doable suggestions in this thread.
The camera might be discontinued but people are still buying lenses for it !
05-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Not putting out a follow-up model would be a big mistake IMHO, the potential is great exactly because it uses the same lenses as the DLSR:s.

And oh, did I mention the four-way controller should default to focus point selection, not function selection.?
05-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Not putting out a follow-up model would be a big mistake IMHO, the potential is great exactly because it uses the same lenses as the DLSR:s.

And oh, did I mention the four-way controller should default to focus point selection, not function selection.?
While we are at that....how do you do focus point selection on the K-01?

I have never used anything but center spot focus on any of my AF cameras, but was actually playing around with it today (had a 2h train ride to kill, and had the K-01 - but no manual, of course, with me) and couldn't figure it out.....

05-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #65
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote

I have never used anything but center spot focus on any of my AF cameras, but was actually playing around with it today (had a 2h train ride to kill, and had the K-01 - but no manual, of course, with me) and couldn't figure it out.....

I know that in K-5 live view you press OK and the simple square transform in square with arrows in all directions and with the joystick you move the square with arrows on screen where you want to select focus...

Discontinue means imo a cease of production and selling but not the support itself..Is like the Windows XP ...They stopped selling it but you still get patches and security updates...
05-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Yes, here we are doing free R&D for them !
I think they really could do themselves some good by updating the firmware
with some of the doable suggestions in this thread.
Well, not really R&D, more like market survey and product functionality requests. R&D is what the good engineers at Pentax should do, to transform our requests into lines of code for firmware, and circuits for the K-02
05-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote

Info button to choose what focus mode you want:

Face recognition, tracking, focus selection, center spot.

Choosing focus selection, you can press "ok" to move the focus point or to change focus point size (e-dial).

05-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Info button to choose what focus mode you want:

Face recognition, tracking, focus selection, center spot.

Choosing focus selection, you can press "ok" to move the focus point or to change focus point size (e-dial).
So obvious, and yet I missed it. Thanks a ton!
05-21-2013, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sensor shake reduction for video. Digital SR is nasty in this implementation.

Astro Tracer. They've admitted it is in there, waiting.

Switch off auto focus during video. It is also a hopeless implementation.

05-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #70
Forum Member

Can anyone tell me how is the focus in low light with 1.03 firmware version?
05-23-2013, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #71
Forum Member

I am waiting for Astrotracer as well.
05-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mutters: Sensor shake stabilization - I'm not sure if that would work in Video, if the motors can move the sensor fast enough to match the performance ?

Switching off the Auto Focus during video? Okie, I've only got manual lenses, I don't use Auto for focusing, couldn't you just use the switch at the base of the lens to switch out the AF once you've got the focus set?
05-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okie, surfed over to the link for North American service ( Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA ), will need someone from the US to send it in, as its for US and Canadian residents, and I'm in Australia, so will chase up my local distributors and the International one.
05-28-2013, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you mention burst mode? The bust mode seems to be crippled and there is no burst mode HI when shooting raw. Its weird because if you use bracketing, the photos are taken in a faster succession than if you use burst mode. Clearly, the hardware allows it.
Also, I would really like to see the camera to allow using both bracketing and timer or burst at the same time. It would be great to use combinations, instead of having to choose between them.
And the last thing is - focus peaking sensitivity, especially for ultra wide angle lenses and for slow lenses. The camera should take this into account and increase the sensitivity of focus peaking. Right now, with a 14mm lens, focus peaking is almost useless, unless you are focusing as close as possible.
But that is a pretty good list. If they add this to the firmware update, it would be a huge boost for the K-01 useability. They could also test out features this way, see how they are received on the K-01, then maybe add them to the K-02 or whatever their next cameras will be. A lot of the things on the list would be great
05-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Mutters: Sensor shake stabilization - I'm not sure if that would work in Video, if the motors can move the sensor fast enough to match the performance ?

Switching off the Auto Focus during video? Okie, I've only got manual lenses, I don't use Auto for focusing, couldn't you just use the switch at the base of the lens to switch out the AF once you've got the focus set?
SR has become a bit of a bone of contention around here. One forum member in particular is obsessed with the idea that it uses sensor shift, against all evidence to the contrary.

I can't see a problem using sensor shift for video SR. The whole K-5 series do it, and the K-7. The K-x does it. It does look like the K-30 uses digital SR though.

Also digital SR crops the sensor, effectively making every lens just that little bit longer in focal length. Wide angle is the loser here.

Auto focus during video atm is slug slow - basically useless. But it is offered and it unfortunately taints the whole experience.

Switch it to manual focus for sure.

AB