Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Well, I did actually ask if he had accidentally turned up the gain, which is a possible explanation for it getting worse.

He didn't answer, so he mustn't have!

AB
Good point missed that my bad

05-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by transit Quote
good point missed that my bad
No worries

ab
05-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #18

Original Poster
No, friends, it's not a gain. I have tried all modes.
I repeat: I use the camera for a long time, but the problem appeared only recently.
05-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Are you sure? Because I'm not.
My understanding is that uses the sensor-shift system.
PENTAX site implies this too

Attachment 172320
Pentax K-01 Compact System Camera Video - Review

Pentax K-01 Video: Image Stabilization

Although the Pentax K-01's incorporates a sensor shift-type image stabilization system, this is disabled during video recording, in favor of what Pentax calls 'Movie SR'; in essence, digital image stabilization. Unlike a mechanical system, this allows completely silent operation, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. The system works by creating the video feed from a 'window' of pixels in one particular location on the sensor, with the location of the window moved around the sensor as needed to correct for motion. For this system to function, you need to leave a band of "spare" pixels around the periphery of the sensor, and in the process, the K-01 effectively increases the effective focal length crop significantly. While for telephoto videos this may in fact be desirable, it means that if you want the widest possible field of view, you'll want to disable image stabilization.

Note that even if you disable Movie SR, you don't recoup the wide-angle capabilities. The crop is increased at all times when in movie mode.

05-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itscool Quote
No, friends, it's not a gain. I have tried all modes.
I repeat: I use the camera for a long time, but the problem appeared only recently.
It does not come out of no where.
Where do you hear the audio, on your computer or also in camera?
05-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Although the Pentax K-01's incorporates a sensor shift-type image stabilization system, this is disabled during video recording, in favor of what Pentax calls 'Movie SR'
Yet confusingly, PENTAX write that the Sensor-Shift stabilization system is used during videography.
I would wonder why an official PENTAX website would get it wrong?

K-01 PENTAX Australia

Attachment 172697

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
05-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Don't ask me, i don't work for Pentax.

The manual calls it Movie SR and this is how Pentax explain that mode.
It is preciesly what happens with the K-01 and K30

Movie SR mode**
PENTAX Movie SR mode allows the Optio I-10 to digitally minimize camera shake to prevent blurry footage in movie recording mode.
** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.

05-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

K-30?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Note: The camera’s shake reduction mode is switched to digital movie SR during movie recording..
05-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't ask me, i don't work for Pentax.
Was a rhetorical question, not one for you

The manual calls it Movie SR and this is how Pentax explain that mode.
Yes I'm aware that the K-01 manual refers to it as Movie SR (having already looked through the manual for an answer).

But no-where in the K-01 manual does it describe Movie SR as 'Movie SR mode' or explains what it is as thus;
--
Movie SR mode**
PENTAX Movie SR mode allows the Optio I-10 to digitally minimize camera shake to prevent blurry footage in movie recording mode.
** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.

--
I am certain they have many cameras with digital SR, quoting something relevant to the Optio I-10 when the discussion is about the K-01 is ridiculous. I'm just trying to find out for certain whether the K-01 is using the sensor shift or not.. So far two official PENTAX sites have said they do.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying that with so much conflicting information I'm not yet convinced one way or the other.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 05-18-2013 at 04:38 PM.
05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

K-30?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Note: The camera’s shake reduction mode is switched to digital movie SR during movie recording..
This is about the K-01. What the K-30 does is irrelevant.
05-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #26

Original Poster
Where do you hear the audio, on your computer or also in camera?
noise is clearly audible on the computer and camera
05-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
This is about the K-01. What the K-30 does is irrelevant.
Actually... K-01 and K30 are very much alike when it comes to software and hardware.

As for the Optio, it uses sensor shift and uses digital SR for movie mode. There are to many simularities to ignore it.

If you're still in doubt, users say they can feel the SR move during video with the K5 but not with the K-01, that's a clear indication the sensor is fixed.

edit:
actually you should feel tthe differnce on the K-01 when comparing liveview with movie.
05-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itscool Quote
noise is clearly audible on the computer and camera
Thanks for clearing that up, i thought it might be codec or something but more is going on... Time to contact Pentax i think
05-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

So let me get this straight, you will quote the passage from the PENTAX site about the Optio i-10 using Digital SR in movie mode to try and tell me that the K-01 does the same, yet you dismiss the quote from the very same PENTAX site that also say's the K-01 Sensor Shift system is useful in movie mode.

You can't have it both ways pal, Sorry.
I seek official conformation one way or the other, not conjecture.

Let's give this one a miss now shall we because we are a bit off topic for the OP
05-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could it be AVC? Auto volume control, if the noise level lowers the gain automatically increases to try to record at a constant volume with the limited bandwidth available, AVC will slowly increase gain which introduces hiss during silence, as soon as it detects noise it will instantly reduce gain (and hiss).

As there is no audio meter on the K-01 and no volume control way of adjusting gain on the fly as there is in dedicated video recorders, I presume they use an AVC system in camera to alter the audio gain, if you try to record silence AVC systems will always give you copious amounts of hiss as it automatically turns the gain up, which is what is in the recording you posted.

To be honest I don't know of any stills camera that records good sound, video is an 'add on' for most, a separate sound recording system and just ignoring the camera recorded sound when editing is loads better.

SR mode in video doesn't move the sensor, there are 'spare pixels' around the image available, SR mode switches these around (silently) in an effort to keep the image centred.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 05-19-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: addition