Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
So let me get this straight, you will quote the passage from the PENTAX site about the Optio i-10 using Digital SR in movie mode to try and tell me that the K-01 does the same, yet you dismiss the quote from the very same PENTAX site that also say's the K-01 Sensor Shift system is useful in movie mode.

You can't have it both ways pal, Sorry.
I seek official conformation one way or the other, not conjecture.

Let's give this one a miss now shall we because we are a bit off topic for the OP
Both ways?
I only use optio and K30 as refference what the Movie SR does, nothing more nothing less, would be stupid for me to use a optio to proof the K-01 has a certain fetaure...

Official conformation is in the manual of the K-01, it says it use movie SR mode during filming about 6 times and in the camera the SR for filming is called movie SR.
With the K5 mkII which use sensorshift SR this feature is simply called SR, it's not even a seperate mode like with the Optio's, K30 and K-01 which uses Movie SR.
And there are enough user reports about this, don't know what more do you want?

If you're still in doubt then please contact Pentax directly.

05-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Lol, You already know what I want
QuoteQuote:
I seek official confirmation one way or the other, not conjecture.
FYI: I have already contacted Pentax directly more than 6 days ago after seeing two threads here at PF about the subject.. Obviously I'm still waiting on a reply.
05-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #33

Original Poster
Friends! excuse me for a false alarm. I compared the records from two different cameras: the noise is identical!

however, it should be noted that the background noise k-01 is high.
05-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #34
Pentaxian

SR,... bickering,...

Menu C 3 item 15, set SR to Mode 2

Put camera in "P" (next to "movie") mode, put ear to LCD, move camera sideways, you can hear the sensor shift mechanism operating (I couldn't feel it, but I can hear it).

Click dial to Movie mode, repeat action with ear to LCD, cannot hear Sensor Shift.

My test suggests the "Movie SR" is a Digital floating of the image, the way "SteadiShot" is done on 98% of Consumer Video Cameras.
(Optical SteadiShot like in the Canon XL range, is done in the lens, not with the sensor.)

itscool: after downloading the sample file, I'd call that noise "background hiss", using the on-board mic on any consumer level camera (video, or stills in video mode) in a quiet environment, and Automatic Gain Control will amplify the background noise, or Limit loud noises.
It equates to the hiss you'd hear between tracks on an LP or cassette tape, it's always there in the background, but it's usually masked by louder sounds around it when a track is playing.

I have my K-01 audio set to manual levels, and I noticed while filming GT Sportscars at Phillip Island on Saturday, that when the race started, the roar of the engines caused the audio limiter to kick in, yet when I was down at the Honda hair pin curve, one or two cars alone was not loud enough to engage the limiter.

With the K-01 limited to a sample rate or 32kHz, it's on-board recording via internal or external mic, should really only be used as a "guide track" when editing, with a separate audio recorder used, such as a Zoom H4n.
I'm looking at a Tascam DR-60D for this purpose, as it has more options for monitoring audio and extra outputs so you can send decent audio to the mic input of a camera.

05-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #35

Original Poster
PiDicus Rex Thank you. I think you're absolutely right. And you perfectly summed up the theme.
05-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #36
Pentaxian

<bows> Thank you.

Now, the question remains, what has caused a change to make it so much more noticeable now compared to what you had previously.