Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #1

High levels of audible noise when recording video

There is a problem - when recording video appeared background noise in the audio track. Previously, it was not so. Tried to change the firmware, reset the settings - it is useless. What could be wrong?

05-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you referring to a mechanical grinding sound churning at about 5 times a second in the background? If so, it is probably the SR mechanism responsible. Which camera is it? If its a bother to you, switch SR off in video mode and try recording again.
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Which camera is it? If its a bother to you, switch SR off in video mode and try recording again.
Well it's posted inside the K-01 forum

As far as i know the SR on that version is software based so it can't be the SR.
05-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
This is not the SR. The noise of the other. Also, I tried to disconnect SR. There is no difference.

05-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Here's a sample.
05-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd like to help but I can find no published audio specs for your camera. It's not even listed on the Pentax site anymore so I can't even ascertain whether or not the camera has a mic/line input. With so little info all I can surmise is that the audio specs are well below most consumer grade standards; it simply sounds like the camera has a very poor s/n ratio. If you have a mic/line input I would suggest taking your camera to a music store and auditioning several mics. Heck even a cheap Sony ECM-MS907 might be better than the on-board mic.

There is a solution if you don't have a mic input on the camera, however. The bad news is, it's not very simple. The good news is, you have total control over your audio quality and can upgrade that quality whenever you like. The other good news is, dual system recording isn't nearly as difficult for consumers to pull off as it was even just a few years ago. The other bad news is, dual system recording isn't very "point and shoot" but with practice you can learn to be quick.

If you're in SoCal you might be able to talk me into a one-on-one all day field recording workshop for a reasonable rate, lunch included of course.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.
05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the detailed answer. But I want to draw your attention to: the noise was not there before. He has recently appeared suddenly. And it's too strong to be "very poor s/n ratio".

05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itscool Quote
Thanks for the detailed answer. But I want to draw your attention to: the noise was not there before. He has recently appeared suddenly. And it's too strong to be "very poor s/n ratio".
It is, clearly, a signal to noise ratio problem; there's just not enough info to say where the s/n ratio fell apart.

I may regret this but provide detailed info about your capture workflow. Everything.
05-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #9

Original Poster
MD Optofonik, thank you for your response
05-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check your gain settings

I feel It is just bad s/n ratio, picking up ambient sounds.

Check to see you haven't accidentally increased the volume (gain) to full level in the info panel.

The in-camera mics and external mics are controlled independently, btw. You can have the either at any setting and the camera remembers those settings when you plug or unplug.

Also the K-01 shake reduction is done digitally during video recording, so that explains why it made no difference when turned off.

AB
05-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #11

The audio on the K-01 (for lack of a better word) blows. It is very noisy.... and, of course, more noticeable in quieter situations. We use our K-01s professionally for broadcast purposes, but usually record audio on a separate recorder. I have plugged a wireless mic directly into the K-01 with useful results, but EQ is needed to get rid of the "hiss" created by the camera.
05-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #12

Original Poster
Soon I will come another k-01. I'll try to compare. I will write results
05-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

All the answers miss the point that the OP said it had got a lot worse.
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Well it's posted inside the K-01 forum

As far as i know the SR on that version is software based so it can't be the SR.
Are you sure? Because I'm not.
My understanding is that uses the sensor-shift system.
PENTAX site implies this too
Pentax K-01 - Digital Mirrorless - PENTAX Photo

Attachment 172320

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
05-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
All the answers miss the point that the OP said it had got a lot worse.
Well, I did actually ask if he had accidentally turned up the gain, which is a possible explanation for it getting worse.

He didn't answer, so he mustn't have!

AB