Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01 LCD Viewfinder

I can see couple of cheap LCD viewfinder on ebay. Just wondering which one fits K-01, any experience.

Thanks
Yusuf

05-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #3

anyone tried any of the dirt cheap LCD viewfinders from china?
05-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well ... is not dirt cheap ... but one of the SWIVI viewfinders is the best bet for your K-01.
I have one and is built very good. You find them around $100 - $150 depending on the seller.

05-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just bought this, let's see, will keep posted here

Hot 2 8x LCD V3 Viewfinder Loupes for Canon 600D 60D 7D T3i X097 | eBay
05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

This one from b&h seems like a low cost alternative:

XIT Professional LCD Viewfinder Loupe for 3" DSLR XTLCDMV
05-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #7

@yusuf - If you have the chance to change your order, please do. The version 3 of that LCD Viewfinder is not compatible for the k-01. Buy the Version 2 or the one for Canon 550d.
05-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimbotheScot Quote
Not yet, but I bought the AV cable in anticipation of using a separate screen with both the Q and the K-01. The cheapest screens have very low resolution so I'm looking for one with 800x600 or so. Those seem to run around $50-60 which is at the upper end of cost value for this experiment. The cheap screens are 480 along the long edge which is too low in my estimation. The pro monitors (close to real HD) seem to run $350-450 which is more than I paid for either camera so that's not worth it to me. Since I haven't actually tried any of these, I don't know exactly how much resolution is needed to support what I need which is basically focus peaking. For composition, almost any screen resolution would work.

Then there this issue of power - most of these cheap screens were designed for cars where 12v flows like water. I wouldn't want to stay tethered to a car nor would I want to lug a car battery around a shooting location.

There's another thread where someone attached a pair of myvu goggles to their camera. The idea is very cool but I don't want block my normal vision so a separate screen is likely the way I'll go.

05-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Esposizione Quote
@yusuf - If you have the chance to change your order, please do. The version 3 of that LCD Viewfinder is not compatible for the k-01. Buy the Version 2 or the one for Canon 550d.
Oops, looks like seller already shipped it. I went with it because of 3" LCD. Do you think it can be modified ? If not, I need to order another one.
05-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimbotheScot Quote
I bought one of the Perfect 3.0X from Dealextreme.
Seems good so far, although the diopter adjustment is limited.
05-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem with the cheap loupes is they don't have any diopter adjustment, OK if you have good eyesight, not OK if, like me, you haven't.

There are sometimes bargains to be had with Hoodman loupes, it seems that some of them have a protective film on the optics which is not obvious and glossed over in the instructions, a lot of people take them out of the box, try them, are horrified at the image quality and put them strait onto eBay to get some of their money back. Now we know better. Hoodman loupes are optically good, their bungee rubber fixing is a bit Heath Robinson, but it works and means you can use it on most any camera.

Chris
05-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #12

@yusuf - I don't think so, if you can see in the product's picture of the v3 the magnetic plate that attaches to the camera is integrated for the tripod mount. I don't think the k-01 and 600d have the same clearance between the lcd and tripod mount. The version 2 have a stick on magnetic plate so it is compatible with almost all 4:3 3" screens. here is a pretty good deal on dx.com. 2.8X LED Viewfinder for Canon EOS 550D - Free Shipping - DealExtreme mine arrived in 20 days as i live in the Philippines.
05-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
The problem with the cheap loupes is they don't have any diopter adjustment, OK if you have good eyesight, not OK if, like me, you haven't.

There are sometimes bargains to be had with Hoodman loupes, it seems that some of them have a protective film on the optics which is not obvious and glossed over in the instructions, a lot of people take them out of the box, try them, are horrified at the image quality and put them strait onto eBay to get some of their money back. Now we know better. Hoodman loupes are optically good, their bungee rubber fixing is a bit Heath Robinson, but it works and means you can use it on most any camera.

Chris
Chris, you Sir are a Mensch!
-Robert
05-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Esposizione Quote
@yusuf - I don't think so, if you can see in the product's picture of the v3 the magnetic plate that attaches to the camera is integrated for the tripod mount. I don't think the k-01 and 600d have the same clearance between the lcd and tripod mount. The version 2 have a stick on magnetic plate so it is compatible with almost all 4:3 3" screens. here is a pretty good deal on dx.com. 2.8X LED Viewfinder for Canon EOS 550D - Free Shipping - DealExtreme mine arrived in 20 days as i live in the Philippines.
The one I ordered mentions magnetic sticker, do you think that will help?

QuoteQuote:
Package including:
1 x 2.8X LCD viewfinder V3
1 xMagnetic Sticker
05-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The main difference in the cheap viewers are the metal wire frames that attache to the tripod socket. Everything is the same otherwise. For the K, I opted to reverse the frame & epoxy a hot shoe mount to the metal .. a custom fit. For the Q, I only had to file out to enlarge the existing opening& the rubber pad, so it mounts to the tripod socket. Works out pretty good in practice, but they magnify the lcd pixels, so it's not perfect but helps a lot with tele lenses.