Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Gordy's Strap + K-01

Hi,

Does anyone use the Gordy's Strap w/ the K-01?

What is the recommended length? Also for the strap bumper, is it really needed? What is the difference between the three (o-ring, octagonal, integral)?

Thanks a lot!

05-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, they're great.

Get the Long or X-long or you'll be sorry.

Get an o-ring, it will protext your camera from scratches from the metal attachment split-ring.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-16-2013 at 04:50 AM.
05-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great strap, don't get the smallest one unless you've got wrists like Kate Moss.

Heres the review page that Rob --^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ - (up there above) and I contributed to earlier.

Gordy's Wrist strap reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
05-16-2013, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Great strap, don't get the smallest one unless you've got wrists like Kate Moss.

Heres the review page that Rob --^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ - (up there above) and I contributed to earlier.

Gordy's Wrist strap reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Here's my K-01 with its Gordy -

And here is Steve's camera with the Gordy -

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-16-2013 at 04:48 AM.
05-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Gordy's Strap with the string attachment rather than the metal ring. I only use the rings on SLR's with traditional chrome nubs. The O-ring works better with those (and I also use the leather protectors in some cases). I ruined the paint on a Q strap slot sliding the ring over the metal.
05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I use the Gordy's Strap with the string attachment rather than the metal ring. I only use the rings on SLR's with traditional chrome nubs. The O-ring works better with those (and I also use the leather protectors in some cases). I ruined the paint on a Q strap slot sliding the ring over the metal.
Not a bad suggestion but I was concerned that the K-01 would be too heavy for the string attachment. I have had no problem with paint on the K-01 attachment, although I have a gouge in the mental from the initial attempt to place the ring
05-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not a bad suggestion but I was concerned that the K-01 would be too heavy for the string attachment. I have had no problem with paint on the K-01 attachment, although I have a gouge in the mental from the initial attempt to place the ring
I haven't had to "test" it yet.

05-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Here is my yellow K-01 and the Gordy Strap. I got the regular size BEFORE reading Robert's review and so I did make a mistake. The strap works okay with my wrist but I have to deliberately wiggle my hand into it. Wish I had gotten the large or x-large. Anyway, once I have my hand through the strap, though, it feels great with the K-01!

05-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I started out with an Optex wrist strap supposedly designed for DSLR's. Within a few weeks. the sharp edges on my K-x lugs cut through the nylon string, and my camera fell. Fortunately it was only a drop of a couple of inches. The lugs on my K-01 look the similar to the ones on the K-x, maybe not as sharp, but I would not recommend a string attachment. A split ring is a very secure attachment. As long as you use it with an O-ring, it will not damage the camera body.

I strongly recommend the longer Gordy's strap, my standard version is a constant annoyance to slip on and off. I bought the strap with the optional wrist protector, but I cut the wrist shield off because it makes the short strap even tighter.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-16-2013 at 08:16 AM.
05-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dan,

Thanks for sharing that about the string. I use one on my Q because of its size and weight but the K-01 is HEAVY and I just can't see using one with it.

I have the Long Gordy's and frequently wish I had the XL, but the Long is good enough that I don't need to get the XL. If I buy another in the future though it will be the XL.
05-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing that about the string. I use one on my Q because of its size and weight but the K-01 is HEAVY and I just can't see using one with it.
Same here. I've used a standard p&s wrist strap with my Canon 720 for years and no issues. I use an iPod wrist strap on my Q, which has a nylon string for attaching to the camera. I'm not worried about it because the Q is so much lighter than a K-01 or DSLR.

I tried my Gordy's strap on the Q and it just looks clunky.
05-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Same here. I've used a standard p&s wrist strap with my Canon 720 for years and no issues. I use an iPod wrist strap on my Q, which has a nylon string for attaching to the camera. I'm not worried about it because the Q is so much lighter than a K-01 or DSLR.

I tried my Gordy's strap on the Q and it just looks clunky.
I'm using a Wii strap on my white Q because it has a slide to secure it and is also white.
05-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I started out with an Optex wrist strap supposedly designed for DSLR's. Within a few weeks. the sharp edges on my K-x lugs cut through the nylon string, and my camera fell. Fortunately it was only a drop of a couple of inches. The lugs on my K-01 look the similar to the ones on the K-x, maybe not as sharp, but I would not recommend a string attachment. A split ring is a very secure attachment. As long as you use it with an O-ring, it will not damage the camera body.

I strongly recommend the longer Gordy's strap, my standard version is a constant annoyance to slip on and off. I bought the strap with the optional wrist protector, but I cut the wrist shield off because it makes the short strap even tighter.
I haven't had this problem yet but I am going to inspect the string tonight for signs of wear. The loop is pretty tight adn doesn't seem to flex at all around the slot.

If wear is present I will just have to deal with installing the split ring carefully. I bought extra O-rings and leather tabs to protect my SLR's.

Yes, there is a hyphen.
05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's how my Gordy's strap looked initially. I've cut the wrist protector off, but only because it was making the too-short wrist strap harder to slip on and off. I did like the look of the wrist protector, but it's not terribly useful. I also removed the second O-ring for tightening the strap. That was definitely useless, the strap is more than tight enough without it.

I no longer use the K-x, I moved the Gordy's strap over to my white K-01.
05-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm using a Wii strap on my white Q because it has a slide to secure it and is also white.
DOH! That's what I have too, a Wii wrist strap (black for my black Q). Mine has a buckle, I may replace it with the sliding type. I'm flush, I can afford another buck and a half.