Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
mbp

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi john_kc. I have used the k01 for 4 months now and I can tell you for certain that there isn't really a perfect solution for the problem. Anyone who tells you that they didn't experienced it with their k01 either do not film in dark/difficult lighting or never really cared to "look" for blocky artifacts.
Rons post helped me a lot, so try this:
1) Always film at best quality level, 3 stars
2) Always record on it's fullest framerate (1080p-30fps/720p-60fps)
3) Decrease sharpness level to 0, and work to get the best WB possible.
Of course, computer hardware and software are equally important. Many times one will see blocky pixels in the cpu screen, but that's just an under-powered computer trying to load the files; the finished video file will probably not have the blocky critters. :-)
Also, always try to smoothly pan your camera...
Well, that's all. For the most part all of this have tremendously decreased the blocky critters.
Wish you all the best!

10-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Tried the v1.04 firmware with filming in low light?
10-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by mbp Quote
Hi john_kc. I have used the k01 for 4 months now and I can tell you for certain that there isn't really a perfect solution for the problem. Anyone who tells you that they didn't experienced it with their k01 either do not film in dark/difficult lighting or never really cared to "look" for blocky artifacts.
Rons post helped me a lot, so try this:
1) Always film at best quality level, 3 stars
2) Always record on it's fullest framerate (1080p-30fps/720p-60fps)
3) Decrease sharpness level to 0, and work to get the best WB possible.
Of course, computer hardware and software are equally important. Many times one will see blocky pixels in the cpu screen, but that's just an under-powered computer trying to load the files; the finished video file will probably not have the blocky critters. :-)
Also, always try to smoothly pan your camera...
Well, that's all. For the most part all of this have tremendously decreased the blocky critters.
Wish you all the best!
thank you very much mbp.. i did tried all of those sir..we actually used k-01 side by side with the 60d in 1080@24p (which i believe gives more of those blocky artifacts) with one of our broadcast re-enactments... as far as the editor said.. white balance are one of his issues and the artifacts that sometimes but not all the time shows.. i'm just afraid that when the right moments come in the videos,that's when the artifacts will show and will ruin the shot! that''s why im so interested with the k3 especially that it does have dual cards slots,mic in and headphone out that beats the 60d in hardware.. i'm really looking forward in the video capabilities of k3
10-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Tried the v1.04 firmware with filming in low light?
yes sir! i'ved been testing it for quite a while now and just relieved that i haven't seen one blocky artifacts yet..i hope it does the job. but still with concerning to details.. no luck.

10-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
mbp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john_kc Quote
yes sir! i'ved been testing it for quite a while now and just relieved that i haven't seen one blocky artifacts yet..i hope it does the job. but still with concerning to details.. no luck.
Like PiDicus Rex mentioned, the latest update completely rids the K01 of any artifacts. Concerning details, try playing with in camera and pos exposure, contrast, and most importantly the lens... I usually find my videos too sharp, but I guess sharpness is a matter of preference.
10-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by mbp Quote
Like PiDicus Rex mentioned, the latest update completely rids the K01 of any artifacts. Concerning details, try playing with in camera and pos exposure, contrast, and most importantly the lens... I usually find my videos too sharp, but I guess sharpness is a matter of preference.
wow! thanks sir! i would now put it to a test!..
10-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yup, don't know exactly what they did, but I'm seeing a substantial improvement over v1.03.

I'll see if I can post some samples up to a Vimeo page later, but here are some quick single frame grabs, completely ungraded, but resized to 1280x720 for the forum size limits.

800 ISO for the frames of Whitney and John, and 1600 for the Taxi - I really hope the Pentax boffins can give us a wider range of ISO number to choose from, 1250 would have been better for the Taxi, and I could have use 640 for the indoors stuff, instead of 800 and close down the Iris a could of steps.

These are all shot with the image profile set to 'Muted'.

EDIT: Ewwww, the resize and upload was really unkind to the original frames, the noise pattern has gone Blotchy, which is not representative of how random the noise pattern ( grain,..) looks in the original footage.

Attached Images

10-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Yup, don't know exactly what they did, but I'm seeing a substantial improvement over v1.03.

I'll see if I can post some samples up to a Vimeo page later, but here are some quick single frame grabs, completely ungraded, but resized to 1280x720 for the forum size limits.

800 ISO for the frames of Whitney and John, and 1600 for the Taxi - I really hope the Pentax boffins can give us a wider range of ISO number to choose from, 1250 would have been better for the Taxi, and I could have use 640 for the indoors stuff, instead of 800 and close down the Iris a could of steps.

These are all shot with the image profile set to 'Muted'.

EDIT: Ewwww, the resize and upload was really unkind to the original frames, the noise pattern has gone Blotchy, which is not representative of how random the noise pattern ( grain,..) looks in the original footage.
yes sir! definitely..there are no blocky artifacts at the latest firmware! thank God they did improved that..and for the quality..yes..i can see much more improvement.. with sharpness off and grading it on post..definitely there is something new. but really a upgrade in bit rate would help..
10-15-2013, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Upgrade the Data Rate, Totally in Agreement..
10-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
mbp

Original Poster
Video Test with new V1.04 firmware.
Video was shot handheld with SR off, so it's pretty shaky.
Full HD at 24fps, and 1/30s.

I have come to the conclusion that my k-01 is impervious to water, since it was raining during the shot. Well...it might not be weather resistant, but the k-01 can sure handle a little drizzle.