Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lenses for video

I recently purchased the K01. Couldn't resist as it was so cheap. My question is about quality of lenses for video. Am I correct to assume that a lenses still images qualities will be similar in video.

For example I was using the 43 Ltd and accidently pressed the red button (Is it possible top reset the red buttons function) and videoed my daughter and was amazed by the quality. How different would this be to the kit lens?

05-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

43 behaves as 65mm. my impression is that with tele the image becomes sharper (when closing in on a subject). On the wide angle the k01 is weaker in resolving detail. I read somewhere on the net, this is something all apsc sensor deal with (some more than others).

In the woods at 28mm e.g. the video sometimes breaks down completely. too much detail for the codec...

Whether a high quality lens vs a lesser one matters for video, on the same focal length, i don't know.
I'm also interested in what others experienced...

Since you have the 43ltd and, i assume, a kitlens, maybe run the quick comparison?

ps: yes, you can change the function of the red button. I found putting it on focus peaking very useful. does not work during video but does before starting.
05-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I also use the red button for FP.
05-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
43 behaves as 65mm. my impression is that with tele the image becomes sharper (when closing in on a subject). On the wide angle the k01 is weaker in resolving detail. I read somewhere on the net, this is something all apsc sensor deal with (some more than others).

In the woods at 28mm e.g. the video sometimes breaks down completely. too much detail for the codec...

Whether a high quality lens vs a lesser one matters for video, on the same focal length, i don't know.
I'm also interested in what others experienced...

Since you have the 43ltd and, i assume, a kitlens, maybe run the quick comparison?

ps: yes, you can change the function of the red button. I found putting it on focus peaking very useful. does not work during video but does before starting.
Thanks for the reply. Changing the red button to focus peaking sounds like a good idea.

05-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If anything, due to the lower resolution of video compared to stills (HD is 1920x1080, Stills are 4928x3264 in 3:2 and 4926x2776 in 16:9), you should be able to 'get away' with a lower quality lens on video.

That said, the same things that make a good Stills lens, also make a good Video lens - quality glass, good coatings, smooth movement, decent build quality.

For zooms, a Parfocal lens is a must for zooming while recording, Parfocal keeps the focus set at the same point during a zoom, so you don't have to chase focus while zooming.

'Breathing' during focus is also an issue - it's where the frame size appears to change as you move focus between subjects - particularly noticeable during dramatic scenes where you're pulling focus between two performers. SLR lenses are particularly susceptible to this, whereas in 'Broadcast' and 'Cinema' lenses it is virtually eliminated.

This factor alone is why those high end lenses cost 10 to 100 times what a good stills lens does.