Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Focusing issues with Sigma 105mm macro

Hi,

I received my new Pantax k-01 yesterday as a replacement for my, now somewhat aged, Samsung GX-10 (pentax K10d clone), and so far am absolutely delighted with its performance and capabilities.

However, one of the main appeals of the K-01 was the ability to use the lenses I already own, one of which is the Sigma 105mm macro.

Although the motor does drive it and autofocus seems to eventually work, when focusing it makes a horrible grinding noise and travels incredibly slowly (as in milimetres a second up the barrel... not just slowly!) Since the lens is relatively heavy and the travel is long, I was wondering if this is liable to simply be because of an innate weakness in the K-01's motor (which seems unlikely considering its relative bulk and the comparative youthfulness compared to my gx-10) or if it could point to my having received a faulty camera? Similarly, the kit 18-55 I have seems to be a beat slower, again, not in the act of focusing but the actual movement of the lens barrel.

Having read a number of other threads, I have upgraded to the most recent firmware so that shouldn't be the cause of the problem.

Basically, I was wondering if such slow travel was a known issue when using similar lenses with the k-01, and something I'll just have to deal in (most likely by simply using manual focus since I'm otherwise happy with the camera) or something that could be resolved with a replacement model.

Thanks in advance!

05-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is right. Although your description seems to be even slower, I just tried the wife's 105 on our K-01 it does focus slow, but does focus. Not much good for fast moving objects, like bees. On her K30 it is quite fast, not as fast as an SDM lens, but very usable. Must be a feature. I just gave my FA 100 macro and it also focuses slowly. I know with the Sigma 70-200 macro it just hunts and never locks on focus.
05-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I've heard about the weaker motor in the K-01 without experiencing it myself and that in combination with the incredibly heavy focusing 105mm could be an issue I guess. If have the focusing ring engaged while pointing it upwards or downwards I can even hear my K-5 struggling when the barrel moves upwards, so much that I try to avoid it as it sounds quite bad, like a drill about to stop.
06-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some of the Sigma lenses (50-150mm is one) having issues with liveview. Although you have updated the firmware, this could be a possibility.

06-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The Sigma 105mm focusses slowly on all bodies including K5IIs. Being a macro manual focus is the way to go anyway.

Dale