Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

control minimum shutter speed in aperture priority

Can this be done? I find that the camera defaults to 1/30th, then adjusts the ISO. Is there some setting that I can tell it what's the minimum shutter speed to use in Av mode (sort of how we tell it what's the max ISO to go to)?

Thanks.

05-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's what TAv is used for. You can run TAv by switching into M mode and setting ISO to Auto. Then you can set the shutter and aperture settings to what you want them to go to.

Have fun with your K-01!
05-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
I know how Tav works ... I was looking for something different.
Thinking of the situation where:

I control aperture, while the camera controls shutter and ISO ... without going lower than a specified shutter speed nor higher than the given ISO.

WIth tav, I still control the shutter manually.

My gut feeling is that it can't be done.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by muzee; 05-30-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
05-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It can't be done, you need to control one parameter by yoursef or try to use the ISO range to restrict the shutter speed to the range you want. I understand why you want to do it though I and would like that functionality myself.

05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. Just as I figured.

Pentax engineers should listen - and implement this via a firmware patch.

Would make the k-01 so sweet
05-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

In k-5, if you set the program line to "speed" or "sports", the shutter will stays above 1/125 I believe. Unfortunately, it is not implemented in k-01; but then, this differentiates a beginner-level camera versus advanced-level camera.
05-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by muzee Quote
Thinking of the situation where:

I control aperture, while the camera controls shutter and ISO ... without going lower than a specified shutter speed nor higher than the given ISO.
With all these restrictions, you might as well use manual (auto iso or not)... I thought about this functionality and sounds great but becouse of how automatic or semiautomatic programs (same thing) work, it does not help.

Suppose you had this functionality:
You limit the speed to 1/125
Set ISO range: 80-1600

If the camera was choosing 1/30 before you set the limit, you "stole" two stops so now ISO has to increase two stops...
Now you point at a subjet where the camera would have chosen 1/30 speed but does not need those 2 extra ISO stops... the camera will default to 1/125 again...
It is how any automatic mode works..

I think my explanation is not the best but it works like that.
Try TAv and use ISO range and exposure compensation tu restrict the possible selections... that should be enough. You will realize you donīt have to tweak shutter speed that much
05-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I think your best choice is P mode and then shifting the shutter speed if its too slow.
You can try using one of the "scene" modes. I know that "landscape" tried to keep aperture around f8-12, so maybe a "sport" or "children&animals" type scene mode can help you out.
But you are right, I also often find the shutter speed that the camera thinks is still acceptable is much too slow for me. TAv and scene modes are the best you can do. And P, and then shift using the right wheel.

05-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies.

Will give the suggestions a try.
06-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

One more thing that occured to me. I donīt know if you can set it on the K-01 but in the menu, when settin "Auto ISO settings" you cna choose between Slow, Normal and Fast. For the ISO. So if you choose "Fast" you will get higher shutter speeds.