Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fwiw...

As of a few minutes ago, total number of posts per forum here:
  1. K-5: 83,071
  2. K-01: 19,959
  3. Q: 18,458
  4. K-r: 15,836
  5. K-30: 11,520

Not bad for a camera that was supposedly a flop...

06-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Not bad for a camera that was supposedly a flop...
I guess you love it or hate it.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any real information on whether the camera really was a 'flop' though. That seems to be forum wisdom, and based on the falling prices I can see why most folks think that, but has there been any official facts from anywhere to state this was really not a success?
06-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I guess you love it or hate it.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any real information on whether the camera really was a 'flop' though. That seems to be forum wisdom, and based on the falling prices I can see why most folks think that, but has there been any official facts from anywhere to state this was really not a success?
If it wasn't, the price wouldn't have fallen to less than 35% of the original MSRP in less than a year After all, that's when it really started selling.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If it wasn't, the price wouldn't have fallen to less than 35% of the original MSRP in less than a year
Probably true, and I don't disagree. I do wonder whether Pentax considers it a failure or success. I think it was grossly overpriced at launch and got a lot of bad publicity because of that and because it was not a dslr. But all that really counts is if Pentax made money on it, and they are not talking.

Yes, it took off when the price dropped, but Pentax (or maybe Ricoh) seems to be doing market research with their pricing anyway. So by selling it at a variety of prices points they have data on where the 'sweet spot' is for sales. I guess the answer will be obvious depending on whether there is a follow on model or if the line dies.

06-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, it certainly hasn't generated the revenue that Pentax was hoping it would. However, the numbers (above) indicate that it has generated a lot of interest, discussion, and photographs! That is not a bad thing.

I think those of us that have purchased one have been overwhelmingly very pleased with the quality of the product we acquired - though perhaps only after FW1.01 for the very early adopters. I for one am happy that Pentax produces cameras that are not only technically excellent, but also distinctive. The K-01 is my very first Pentax camera, and now when I look at DSLR offerings from Nikon or Canon, they just look boring. Here's hoping Pentax doesn't become just another bland option...
06-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

The K-01 is my very first Pentax camera, and now when I look at DSLR offerings from Nikon or Canon, they just look boring. Here's hoping Pentax doesn't become just another bland option...
Style isn't everything, but it does feel kinda cool when complete strangers shout 'awesome camera' to you from across the room,
06-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
Style isn't everything, but it does feel kinda cool when complete strangers shout 'awesome camera' to you from across the room,
Agreed! Everytime I pick up my brother's Canon T3i I can't help but feel disappointed. So cheap and boring looking. I am envious of the flip out LCD though.
06-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Agreed! Everytime I pick up my brother's Canon T3i I can't help but feel disappointed. So cheap and boring looking. I am envious of the flip out LCD though.
I don't at all... once a stranger handed over to me to help them with a group shot... it really looks cheap and flimsy.
Although I would think for videos, an articulating LCD would help.

06-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hm, true that the K-01's price dropped a lot, but so did the Q. And even generally Pentax prices seem to be on a roller-coaster ride. Going up, down, then way up again, maybe not. I think Pentax just started the K-01 at a premium price, hoping it would catch on (due to Mark Newson-effect) more than it did. But even the current price probably isn't a huge loss for them. I mean, look at the K-30 - its WR, has OVF, but its price still went down quite a lot from the original MSRP.
I too would like to see some statistics, so we can see how well the K-01 really did.
06-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The K-01 was a controversial camera, so maybe the number of posts on a forum isn't the best measure of how well it sold.
06-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
The K-01 was a controversial camera, so maybe the number of posts on a forum isn't the best measure of how well it sold.
It's not a measure of how well it sold at all, but it is (simply) another kind of metric. Unit sales aren't the only thing that makes something successful. I for one was surprised to see that the K-01 forum has almost twice the number of posts of the K-30 one, despite the K-30 being a generally more lauded camera in reviews. I'd also be curious about a graph plotting number of posts per week for each week since the K-01 was launched, but I doubt that data is easily available (short of scraping the forum)...
06-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not a measure of how well it sold at all, but it is (simply) another kind of metric. Unit sales aren't the only thing that makes something successful. I for one was surprised to see that the K-01 forum has almost twice the number of posts of the K-30 one, despite the K-30 being a generally more lauded camera in reviews. I'd also be curious about a graph plotting number of posts per week for each week since the K-01 was launched, but I doubt that data is easily available (short of scraping the forum)...
If you only count technical / troubleshooting / how-do-I / check-this-out posts, the K-30 probably has more posts in less time. As it was a conventional design, there weren't any "it's crap / no, it's great / no, it's crap" debates or "what they SHOULD have done" threads, and people could just get on with using the camera.
06-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
THoog: I'd have thought you were correct, but I just checked one equivalent photo-thread, and...
That's about the same 2x ratio...
06-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, but those with K-01 are more proud with of it and thus are more visible around.
06-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yeah, but those with K-01 are more proud with of it and thus are more visible around.
That's one way to put it - I think of it as the "novelty" factor (as well as a certain element of proving it's not as bad as the critics say). The "Let's share shots with Q!" thread is less than two months older than the K-01 thread, and has 2,598 posts!