Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is limiting my k-01's video recording?

I've recently been using my k-01 to record video, and I've been having some trouble with recording length.

I am using a Sandisk 32gb Ultra (30mbps). I searched on this forum, and this thread suggest that the 30mbps is sufficient. I am shooting Full HD, 30fps. When I press the shutter button, it shows me an available recording time of ~16 minutes. This varies of course, but it's been my experience. What happens is that, as it records, it eventually stops itself around the 8-10 minute mark. This is confusing to me, and a little random as well. When it stops, it shows the hourglass symbol. Based on that, I am assuming it has to do with the write-speed/buffer available.

Now, the confusing part to me is that - I haven't seen this issue pop up on this forum. I'll admit, I haven't really paid too much attention to the k-01 forum until recently, but looking back 4 pages I still don't see anything about this subject. So, my question is:

Is the soft limit of 8-10 minutes of recording my SD card? Or is the sensor overheating? Or is it the natural buffer limitations of the Prime M engine? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jin

06-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I've recently been using my k-01 to record video, and I've been having some trouble with recording length.

I am using a Sandisk 32gb Ultra (30mbps). I searched on this forum, and this thread suggest that the 30mbps is sufficient. I am shooting Full HD, 30fps. When I press the shutter button, it shows me an available recording time of ~16 minutes. This varies of course, but it's been my experience. What happens is that, as it records, it eventually stops itself around the 8-10 minute mark. This is confusing to me, and a little random as well. When it stops, it shows the hourglass symbol. Based on that, I am assuming it has to do with the write-speed/buffer available.

Now, the confusing part to me is that - I haven't seen this issue pop up on this forum. I'll admit, I haven't really paid too much attention to the k-01 forum until recently, but looking back 4 pages I still don't see anything about this subject. So, my question is:

Is the soft limit of 8-10 minutes of recording my SD card? Or is the sensor overheating? Or is it the natural buffer limitations of the Prime M engine? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jin
The maximum file size in your SD card's filesystem is 4gb. So once the camera can no longer write to the card, it will stop recording. Other manufacturers, such as Canon, will automatically split the video file into multiple parts, but Pentax doesn't have this feature yet, so you have to manually re-start the recording.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh I see! I didn't even bother checking for that. Thanks - seems like a simple enough answer. I'll confirm my files are 4gb when I get home.
06-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Banned

Strange, you should get 16 minutes 23 seconds (or around that).

06-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Strange, you should get 16 minutes 23 seconds (or around that).
It would be nice if it did. I'll run a few tests when I get home.

I am not really complaining about the length recording, but rather that mine stops between 8 to 10 minutes. Not knowing the exact time it will stop is very annoying - if my camera would stop at 16 minutes give or take 20 seconds, that would be a lot better than give or take a minute.
06-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

16+ minutes would be about right for HD 30fps, it's a bit over 19 minutes for HD 25fps.

I'm having no problems recording up to the full time, whereas you say it's dropping out at around half that Jin ?
I'd think if that's the case, maybe check that the card is formatted to FAT32, and not FAT16 -> The 'SD' standard calls for FAT16, 'SDHC' specifies FAT32.
The 32Gb card you mention should be SDHC and FAT32

Oddly enough, when recording to FAT32 formatted cards (as formatted in the camera), the 19+ minutes I get, only appears to be 2.6Gb in file size. Will have to double check this with a test recording.
06-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One other thing to check, and this applies to all of us as consumers, and that is to verify that you've got a genuine Sandisk card - there have been fakes in the past, with lower performance levels, or with half or less the space claimed on the label.

IIRC, the 'H2' memory card test app will do speed and space checks to see how well the card performs.