Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #1

K-01 - future value over time

Just wanted to gauge peoples' thoughts on this controversial and short lived camera. Will this end up in the scrap heap (like most consumer electronics) in years to come or retain/increase in value - wishful thinking?

06-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt any digital cameras increase in value, simply because they contain outdated technology. With SLRs it was different - you could always insert the newest film and take great photos even if the camera had only "M mode" and Manual focus. With digital cameras, a sensor made 5 years from now will simply make all current technology look bad in comparison. But it would be cool to see the K-01 become a cult camera long after it was discontinued
06-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
It would look good on the mantlepiece or as a paperweight
06-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-01 will only be of value to Pentaxians unless Mark Newson dies in a plane crash or his work becomes super hot and anything he "touched" becomes collectable. For me, I own one because I collect Pentax when I can. The K-01 represents the first MILC from Pentax that took a K-Mount. It also represents a mistake in that they did not include HDMI out in video mode which ultimately killed the concept of the K-01's video upgrade from the other Pentax cameras at the time. As for being a true Pentax collectable outside of Pentaxians? Not likely.

06-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The K-01 will only be of value to Pentaxians unless Mark Newson dies in a plane crash or his work becomes super hot and anything he "touched" becomes collectable. For me, I own one because I collect Pentax when I can. The K-01 represents the first MILC from Pentax that took a K-Mount. It also represents a mistake in that they did not include HDMI out in video mode which ultimately killed the concept of the K-01's video upgrade from the other Pentax cameras at the time. As for being a true Pentax collectable outside of Pentaxians? Not likely.
+1 and I would add that at $150 or so for the body it made a descent backup to the K-5 and now the K-5IIs.
06-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
+1 and I would add that at $150 or so for the body it made a descent backup to the K-5 and now the K-5IIs.
True. For the fire sales of the K-01, it doesn't make sense for anyone that has K lenses to not own one. The K-01 grew on me, and I don't hate it. After using it, I kinda like the way it feels in my hands.

If Pentax ever tries again with a MILC with a K mount, they have a good start with the K-01.

This was the K-01 prototype shown at Photokina

Pentax should have stayed with the above design instead of going with Mark Newson.
06-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Hmm..... make sure he's alone on the plane.
The rest can be arranged...

Seriously, I often look at my 2nd hand 5D and ponder how much it was worth when it was launched.
Now its probably 1/5 of that price if not less.
Despite it still being relevant when it comes to being able to take good photos.
So, I don't think any digital camera will be worth much in the next 10yrs.
Beyond that, maybe some sort of odd future fad for old stuff or when Mark Newson passes on rich people decide to 'elevate his works to godly status in price'
06-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Speaking of collecting, I have ALL of the early Pentax digital cameras before they were called Optios. My pride and joy is an EI-C90 still in the BOX!!!

06-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

+1, I doubt that camera will increase value over time as more advanced technology will make the k-01 obsolete and less appealing to use.
06-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Talk about ugly!

True. For the fire sales of the K-01, it doesn't make sense for anyone that has K lenses to not own one. The K-01 grew on me, and I don't hate it. After using it, I kinda like the way it feels in my hands.

If Pentax ever tries again with a MILC with a K mount, they have a good start with the K-01.

Pentax should have stayed with the above design instead of going with Mark Newson.
I'd take a K-01 any time
06-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am sorry but this is uber ugly. Make me unsee it please.

06-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
I'd take a K-01 any time
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
I am sorry but this is uber ugly. Make me unsee it please.
LOL. Beauty, as they say pokes you in the eye. Oh, wait. Is in the eye of the beholder. Like I said - pokes you in the eye!

Unless you're wearing contact lenses, most things in an eye hurt - especially Apples.

Kidding aside, it doesn't (and shouldn't matter) what a tool looks like. Cameras are tools first. The lack-luster sales of the K-01 when it came out showed that as a tool and aesthetic, the K-01 failed on both fronts for both types of owners.

I like my K-01, no doubt, but I could just as easily have loved the prototype if the prototype came to market earlier instead of waiting for a "make-over" and a skimp on the "camera" parts.
06-11-2013, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

That was a 1997 'Pentax Design Studio' concept mirrorless, ahead of it's time, never released.
06-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Unlike a lot of people, I think K01 has great and distinctive design and great craftsmanship.
There are a few shortcomings, but considering $299 price that I payed, I am willing not to see them.

LOL. Beauty, as they say pokes you in the eye. Oh, wait. Is in the eye of the beholder. Like I said - pokes you in the eye!

Unless you're wearing contact lenses, most things in an eye hurt - especially Apples.

Kidding aside, it doesn't (and shouldn't matter) what a tool looks like. Cameras are tools first. The lack-luster sales of the K-01 when it came out showed that as a tool and aesthetic, the K-01 failed on both fronts for both types of owners.

I like my K-01, no doubt, but I could just as easily have loved the prototype if the prototype came to market earlier instead of waiting for a "make-over" and a skimp on the "camera" parts.
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The fun thing about the K-01 is, that I do not remember a camera body that has been /that/ polarizing: it seems to leave nobody indifferent. Some hate it with a vengeance, others love it. The latter tend to tell the former "bah, that's because you haven't tried one, so you can't possibly know".

For that alone, it is actually an interesting piece of equipment.

What is interesting also is, that it's a very capable body, quirks notwithstanding. It's got a quite capable sensor, and if the samples that have been shown on this forum are to go by, some truly amazing pictures can come out of it.

It's clear that it's not everything to everybody, of course.

Future value? Hard to say, I do not buy cameras as investments - other than investments in years of fun and souvenirs. It's likely that it'll not become a collectors item like that gold LX and such, but will see the same fate as, say, the *istD: keep taking good pictures, but eventually become obsolete in the (used) marketplace.

That said, I still use my *istD now 10 years later. In 10 years, I hope that I'll still use the K-01 (and the *istD). That seems like a "good investment" and of "high value"...to me.