Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
That's good to hear about the Alpha.

Yep, K-01 has flaws, but they are easily overcome, and the IQ is fantastic if you use the camera properly.

I've added some Sigma lenses to my collection this past week - 70-200 KA zoom, 28-80 and 28-200 KAF zoom (wholey carp, I bought AF glass,...), looking forward to using some to film bands at "The Tote" in Fitzroy (Melbourne),.. It's funny the reaction you get from 'serious photographers' when they see the lack of viewfinder, or hear that I bought the camera to do video first and foremost.

Tryed the function where AF is put on the AF/AE-L button, then hit it for AF during video, yeah, don't do it,....
So you mean I'm doing something wrong with it? Got any idea what? Because I'm out of ideas.

I've tested on a tripod with shake reduction off. All in M-mode in the menue while in movie mode on the mode dial, so I have manual control on ISO, shutter speed and aperture, and my changes to these is reflected in the footage, so I'm pretty sure it's working correctly (except with a totally manual lens where M-mode is broken, SMC Pentax K 135mm f/2.5). I'm using full HD, 1080p and quality level is on full (three stars). Focus is correct, I've tested wide open and stopped down to f/5.6 and f/8 where sharpness is at its best. I've tested with various custom image pre-sets and I've also changed one to where it's all flat so I can fix it in post and get more dynamic range and details in the recorded footage. I've tested with a fully manual lens which messes up M-mode, and with various automatic lenses which all have great image quality, and still I get an image that looks like it's upscaled DVD resolution. The camera gives great image quality for photography, I've used it a lot since I got it, so I know the camera can give great image quality. And I'm pretty sure it's not a bit rate issue as the Nokia 808 PureView has less bit rate, but better details.

Do you have a sample clip I can see where you feel it's great image quality?

06-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
Pentaxian

@netrex:
I believe you are doing everything right and all you are seeing is the subsampling that is done in video mode.
In order to speed up read-out and data processing, not every sensel from the sensor is used. The respective skipping is the source of mushyness and also of moiré.
06-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I still didn't see any footage from the topic starter to see your problem.

This short interview in Dutch with the teamcaptain off the Dutch National Soccer team:

Shot handheld (so a little wobly), K-01 with FA31mm and Rode stereo videomic.
06-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

This short interview in Dutch with the teamcaptain off the Dutch National Soccer team:

Anouk Hoogendijk - Oranjeleeuwin 2012 - YouTube

Great looking video Ron. My two year old grandson likes my K-01 home videos I loaded on my 64GB iPad with retina display since the AVCHD 1080p60 videos from my Panasonic and Sony cameras don't work well with the iPad.

06-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
@netrex:
I believe you are doing everything right and all you are seeing is the subsampling that is done in video mode.
In order to speed up read-out and data processing, not every sensel from the sensor is used. The respective skipping is the source of mushyness and also of moiré.
That's what I believe as well. And why the image from the much smaller sensor of the Nokia 808 is so much better as it resizes down each frame from the 38 megapixels available for 16:9 ratio of the sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Anouk Hoogendijk - Oranjeleeuwin 2012 - YouTube

That video looks pretty good. I'll make a video to show you my problem within the next few days. I'm preparing for a vacation, so I'm not sure when it will be up.
07-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #36
mbp

Photos: Albums
So you mean I'm doing something wrong with it? Got any idea what? Because I'm out of ideas.

I've tested on a tripod with shake reduction off. All in M-mode in the menue while in movie mode on the mode dial, so I have manual control on ISO, shutter speed and aperture, and my changes to these is reflected in the footage, so I'm pretty sure it's working correctly (except with a totally manual lens where M-mode is broken, SMC Pentax K 135mm f/2.5). I'm using full HD, 1080p and quality level is on full (three stars). Focus is correct, I've tested wide open and stopped down to f/5.6 and f/8 where sharpness is at its best. I've tested with various custom image pre-sets and I've also changed one to where it's all flat so I can fix it in post and get more dynamic range and details in the recorded footage. I've tested with a fully manual lens which messes up M-mode, and with various automatic lenses which all have great image quality, and still I get an image that looks like it's upscaled DVD resolution. The camera gives great image quality for photography, I've used it a lot since I got it, so I know the camera can give great image quality. And I'm pretty sure it's not a bit rate issue as the Nokia 808 PureView has less bit rate, but better details.

Do you have a sample clip I can see where you feel it's great image quality?

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/227936-low-video-quality-comp...#ixzz2ZakW2mLU

Umm, interesting observation. I too had some rather unwanted problems with the video quality of the k01, but I have finally figured it. So here is my two cents:

1-Always use a higher fps (30fps for 1080p) and (30fps or 60fps at 720p). This substantially reduces blocky artifacts
2-Turn OFF SR, not only does the SR give a jello affect; it also makes the camera skip fps and it gives a jittery video. I forgot to do this on my sample video, and it looks like the video is skipping all over the place! Turning off SR will cure this.
I also noticed that if you turn on "Remote Control" for video it will completely turn off SR. It won't even allow you to select it on the "info" menu. Cool!
3- This is VERY important part: REDUCE SHARPNESS. Pressing "info" then "custom image" then "info (parameter adj.)" you can do this. The affect is a more filmy and smooth video.
4-This is the MOST important part. When using manual and/or M42 lenses you must lock you exposure so that both shutter speed and ISO will not automatically change (but you can still change the aperture). NO matter if you set your ISO at 200 on Manual Mode, the K01 will STILL try to compensate for too little or too much light, often reducing image quality because of High ISO.
-AF/AE-L Lock (exposure lock) will ONLY work if you set your ISO on "Auto" when using a manual/M42 lens. Pentax F and FA lens do not need this lock because they are truly full manual with the K01.
5- I am going to get a lot of heat for this, but I had a bad problem with the K01 always clipping the highlights and underexposed subjects. I fixed this by setting "highlight correction" on auto and "shadow correction" on High. Trust me, it works, but try not to set your highlight correction on high because it bends colors like the water drops of a rainbow.
6-Finally, it is partitive to get the highest bit rate you can on post, if there is a way for you to change this, do it. I use freeware "Blender.org" and change the bit rate from 6000k/bs (default) to 10000k/bs. It makes a huge difference with blocky artifacts and image IQ at the expense of file size.
-Try to get the correct fps on post as well, setting a different fps on post from what the K01 was shot at will give you and uneven and jagged fps.

The result is this, more or less:

Video was shot in 1080p, but vimeo downsampled it to 720p because I do not have a pro account. Video has no sound, so grab a cup of tea and put on some music :-)
07-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member

This is something I shot on my K-01, with a Astron (rebranded Sigma) 28-70 f3.5-4.5 lens.
This was dropped down to Standard Def, so the client could play it anywhere she needed for a Local Council planning permit objection.

I'll have a look through some of the live Bands footage and see if I can post a video of shots that show off the K-01's attributes.

Ron: that interview with the Dutch Soccer Captain was one of the video I saw before buying my camera, that basically help clinch the decision, as the shaky use actually shows the amount of rolling shutter honestly, allowing for a decent assesment of the camera.

Grispie:
QuoteQuote:
3rd is a short docu where both k01 & canon 600d shots are mixed"
Did you have any issues with mixing the K-01 with the 600D?
A short film project I'm D.o.P. for may fall back to using the Writer/Directors 600D and my K-01, if we can't get enough light for our first choice camera - we're planning to use a Sony FX-1 with Redrock M2 35mm adapter, plus the collection of his and my lenses - my Pentax glass is all full-frame, and shouldn't vignette in the M2 like some of his APS-c lenses. We're trying to avoid having the same 'look' as all the other DSLR and RED short films.

07-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #38
mbp

Photos: Albums
Here's another video example.
07-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Grispie - that "Just a friend of Mine" video is nice, couple of shots with the skin tones over exposed, and the singers stockings making the same interference pattern that you get from some horizontal striped shirts with TV camera. Where were the beach scenes and cityscape shot?
08-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well, I'm happy with the video quality I get out of my K-01

Edit: Damned if the Vimeo upload process didn't cause a huge frak up of the vision, just re-uploaded it.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 08-07-2013 at 08:07 AM.