Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
high res video - IMAGES

use this link:
video of performance is with k01
2nd video is a Sony a77 shot
3rd is a short docu where both k01 & canon 600d shots are mixed
Thanks you for the uploads I'm still not sold on the image quality :/ I can only hope a future Pentax camera has better quality. Since I'm sure it's not a bitrate issue as the Nokia has less than half the bitrate, but better image quality, it must be before the encoding starts, so I hope they pull the image from the sensor in a better way in later models. The K-30 has the same problem.

The camera is still great for manual focus photography, so it's not a waste at all still, just not all I hoped it would be.
06-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I chose the sony a77 as the "kitlens is great for video, steady shot makes filming handheld real nice, viewfinder can be used for filming as well
Alphas,... I know a couple of people who've had them, yes they're good camera's for the price points, but some have a tendency to overheat and shut down during prolonged video shooting.

I don't think it's endemic, but it does seem to be more likely to happen with the Alpha's then with Canikon's, and I've done several hours on a couple events with no sign of my K-01 overheating, but it is winter here in Melbourne.
06-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
but some have a tendency to overheat and shut down during prolonged video shooting.
I hope to do a video of a performance on friday where i want to continuously film with the A77 from one angle & do close up shots with my k01. If i do, i will let you know my findings.

I hope you are incorrect :-)
I do recall that there were indeed postings about overheating on the prior series of Alphas.
I must say, with the K01 and the canons i have indeed never experienced an overheat issue.

06-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Last time I had to deal with the on-set delays of an alpha, pretty sure it was a 55(?)

Working with the owner of that one on the 29th, he now shoots on Nikon, but enjoyed playing with the K-01 last Saturday.

A wrestling gig I did a few weeks back, camera was running for 1 & 1/2 hours for the first half, 2 hours for the second half, no issues at all, DVD producer loving the angle and video quality.
Was shot on Astron 28-80 f1:3.5-4.5
06-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Netrex: Which lenses are you using, and at which f-stop ?

The Nokia is a tiny sensor with nearly infinite depth of field, whereas an f3.5 zoom, or 2.0 prime, will have an exceptionally shallow depth of field in comparison.
Does the vision get sharper if you close the Iris down?

Wait,....
QuoteQuote:
I bought the K-01 to use for manual focus photography as I have several manual focus lenses.
Are you using K or KM lenses? If you are, of if you're running a KA lens with a manual Iris setting, the K-01 ignores the ISO setting, it effectively switches to Auto ISO, and you can end up with a metric f-ton of noise in the image - it will shift from 100 to 6400 as per what it judges is needed to get correct exposure, Even with the Exposure set to 'M'.
06-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
netrex: Which lenses are you using, and at which f-stop ?

The Nokia is a tiny sensor with nearly infinite depth of field, whereas an f3.5 zoom, or 2.0 prime, will have an exceptionally shallow depth of field in comparison.
Does the vision get sharper if you close the Iris down?

Wait,....

Are you using K or KM lenses? If you are, of if you're running a KA lens with a manual Iris setting, the K-01 ignores the ISO setting, it effectively switches to Auto ISO, and you can end up with a metric f-ton of noise in the image - it will shift from 100 to 6400 as per what it judges is needed to get correct exposure, Even with the Exposure set to 'M'.
The sensor isn't that small, it's 3,24 x crop factor :P Big for a phone.

Anyway, yes, I know the effects of big and small aperture openings. I tested with f/8 in the screenshots I shared, and focus was placed correctly to get everything in view in focus. The lens used was the Tamron 17-50mm which is plenty sharp enough, I have no problem with sharpness with my lenses and photography, but all look bad in video on the K-5 and K-01.

I only have one K-lens, the SMC Pentax K 135mm f/2.5, so the broken M-mode for video only gives me problems with this lens.

06-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
The sensor isn't that small, it's 3,24 x crop factor :P Big for a phone.

Anyway, yes, I know the effects of big and small aperture openings. I tested with f/8 in the screenshots I shared, and focus was placed correctly to get everything in view in focus. The lens used was the Tamron 17-50mm which is plenty sharp enough, I have no problem with sharpness with my lenses and photography, but all look bad in video on the K-5 and K-01.

I only have one K-lens, the SMC Pentax K 135mm f/2.5, so the broken M-mode for video only gives me problems with this lens.
Well maybe it is your lens troubeling and not just the K-01.

The crop for moviemode with the K-01 is around 1,7x.
06-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

What surprises me is that you say k5 video looks bad too. I hear good things about it. except for lack of manual control and big files..
Maybe Ron has a point..
06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

That's where I'd be heading too - looking at the lenses for contamination on the glass, or swapping to the opposite mode of focus for a test shoot - see if you get better or worse results by using AF if your doing in manually, or manual if your using AF already.
Normally I'd tell everyone to always focus video manually.
06-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Alphas,... I know a couple of people who've had them, yes they're good camera's for the price points, but some have a tendency to overheat and shut down during prolonged video shooting.
As mentioned, i filmed a band performance last friday. No overheating whatsoever on the sony.
I must say that the sony & it's 16-50 2.8, together with the K01 and A70-210f4 for close ups is a solid combination.
The A70-210 gives great results! I'll post a link when i'm done with post.

Must say, while the k01 has its flaws, i'm very happy to have one!
06-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

That's good to hear about the Alpha.

Yep, K-01 has flaws, but they are easily overcome, and the IQ is fantastic if you use the camera properly.

I've added some Sigma lenses to my collection this past week - 70-200 KA zoom, 28-80 and 28-200 KAF zoom (wholey carp, I bought AF glass,...), looking forward to using some to film bands at "The Tote" in Fitzroy (Melbourne),.. It's funny the reaction you get from 'serious photographers' when they see the lack of viewfinder, or hear that I bought the camera to do video first and foremost.

Tryed the function where AF is put on the AF/AE-L button, then hit it for AF during video, yeah, don't do it,....
06-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #28

That's good to hear about the Alpha.

Yep, K-01 has flaws, but they are easily overcome, and the IQ is fantastic if you use the camera properly.

I've added some Sigma lenses to my collection this past week - 70-200 KA zoom, 28-80 and 28-200 KAF zoom (wholey carp, I bought AF glass,...), looking forward to using some to film bands at "The Tote" in Fitzroy (Melbourne),.. It's funny the reaction you get from 'serious photographers' when they see the lack of viewfinder, or hear that I bought the camera to do video first and foremost.

Tryed the function where AF is put on the AF/AE-L button, then hit it for AF during video, yeah, don't do it,....
I mess with the 'serious' photographers this way - There's a Swivi on the back, a big mic mounted on but away from the camera, and I carry a lot of mostly MF glass. Most don't even know what on Earth the camera is!

Maybe I should fake a label and tell them it's a just-released mirrorless version of the Pentax 645D using movie mode!
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

You'd be telling them it was 4k film mode then..
06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #30

Sure, why not? I'll tell 'em everything is in firmware, completely menu controlled, no unsightly buttons like on those Canon Cinema EOS cameras! I wonder how far I could take it before I break out laughing.