Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

Help with K-01 problem: Dies every time I try to take a pic!

Update: I'm able to take videos! It only crashes when I attempt to take pics.

My brand new pentax k-01 dies every time I try to take a pic! The only way to bring it back to life is to take the battery out and charge it for a little bit. Battery says full charge!

When it dies, the camera totally shuts off and won't turn back on.

It is only 10 days old and I've been thoroughly enjoying it :-(

Any hope? I can't find anything specific in the forums.

I've tried everything.
Reset
change sd card
Format sd card
Reinstall firmware v.1.03
Change lenses
Change camera modes.
With or without flash.
Sensor cleaning didn't crash it
Dust removal didn't crash it
Pixel mapping did.
Interval shooting crashes to

Any way to access error logs on the camera?

Please help!

Last edited by bjelde; 06-18-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added new info
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bjelde Quote
My brand new pentax k-01 ...It is only 10 days old
Return it and get a new one
06-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Return it and get a new one
I'd like to exchange for a new one but seems out of stock everywhere :-(
06-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

It's under warranty. THey should take care of it.

06-18-2013, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
charge it for a little bit. Battery says full charge!
Whatever the icon on the LCD says, your battery is likely not fully charged. In fact it is likely barely charged. You should recondition your battery.
  1. Fully exhaust the battery by leaving your K-01 running, no Power Off timers, etc, until the battery is actually fully drained.
  2. Fully charge the battery until the charger light is extingusined. This can take several hours - even overnight.
  3. Fully exhaust the battery again without turning the camera off - take pictures, do whatever, but don't turn off the camera
  4. Fully recharge the battery
  5. Do the cycle again.
If that doesn't work, before returning your camera, try a replacement battery. Pentax may have a few replacement bodies in reserve but you likely won't be able to choose your color.
06-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to exchange for a new one but seems out of stock everywhere :-(
Do you have a second battery? "Charge for a little bit" sounds suspect, as it takes a good amount of time to charge a battery.
Does the CHARGER indicate full charge?
06-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
It's under warranty. THey should take care of it.
Thanks. Sounds like maybe this one is toast. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a troubleshooting route I didn't know about.
06-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
Do you have a second battery? "Charge for a little bit" sounds suspect, as it takes a good amount of time to charge a battery.
Does the CHARGER indicate full charge?
Yes both the charger and the LCD indicate full charge. I just tried again after a 2 hr charge and the problem persists.

06-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whatever the icon on the LCD says, your battery is likely not fully charged. In fact it is likely barely charged. You should recondition your battery.
  1. Fully exhaust the battery by leaving your K-01 running, no Power Off timers, etc, until the battery is actually fully drained.
  2. Fully charge the battery until the charger light is extingusined. This can take several hours - even overnight.
  3. Fully exhaust the battery again without turning the camera off - take pictures, do whatever, but don't turn off the camera
  5. Do the cycle again.
If that doesn't work, before returning your camera, try a replacement battery. Pentax may have a few replacement bodies in reserve but you likely won't be able to choose your color.
Thanks for these specific tips. I will drain it now.
06-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just discovered that I can still take videos. Neither the video mode nor the red button trigger a crash.

This rules out battery problems I'm guessing.

If only there is a way to do a full factory reset.....

Last edited by bjelde; 06-18-2013 at 12:10 PM.
05-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #11

hi,

i bought a k-01 last year, around may. have you ever been able to find a solution to this problem? i'm experiencing the same thing. i tried having it sent for repairs but it appeared to have been working when it got to the technician. it's still under warranty til the end of the month. i'm currently trying out draining the battery. the weird thing is that i have been able to use it without problems last week, after the tech suggested i try a fresh memory card since it was working when he looked at it. then it had the same problem the next day.
05-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The only way to bring it back to life is to take the battery out and charge it for a little bit. Battery says full charge!
Ditto what Monochrome advises - charging just a little bit has probably damaged your battery.

If only there is a way to do a full factory reset.....
Take battery out, leave it to charge, camera boots fresh when you put you battery back in and turn on.

You can also reset to factory set-up, that's in the menus with the spanner symbol, second menu, bottom item.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-12-2014 at 08:10 AM.
05-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, it may be worth a shot to upgrade the firmware to the latest if you have not done that yet.
06-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #14

I had exactly this, and returned the original battery under warranty. With the replacement there was no problem. It also works fine with some cheap (DSTE) clone batteries.
06-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  5. Do the cycle again.
I have experienced the same problem. Wouldn't a problem with the battery be out-ruled by the fact that the problem does not occur while shooting video?

On another thread someone reported the same problem was solved after some repair related to the shutter.

Cheers,