Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bradsarno Quote
One of my very favorite lenses is the Pentax-F 35-70mm. It's a fast auto-focus on the K-01 and the image quality is nearly as good as the prime lenses. It's a real gem and a price that can't be beat. It rivals $600+ lenses..
That is weird. I think I read someone else saying this. But I had the F35-70 when I had the K-01 briefly and found the focus speed really disappointing on that particular lens. I agree it is a great lens though and great value.

01-02-2014, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
I am currently very tempted to buy a K-01, but also thinking it might be a stupid idea, and would appreciate people's thoughts - particularly in relation to a couple of particular points.

I have just bought a Pentax Q, and really like it. And I actually like the lack of viewfinder. With my K30 I tend to prefer using live view when using a tripod or bean bag - I also like not having to have the camera at eye level, shooting from the ground level for example without having to lie on the floor - but I also don't like live view on DSLRs compared to mirrorless cameras. (I also like focus peaking, and really like the way it works with quick shift lenses, but again this isn't as nice to use on a DSLR.)

Also, I really like my K30, but I don't like the noise. That is, not the high ISO perfomance but the loud shutter. It seems obtrusive.

The Q and the K-01 are so much quieter. The K5 is also quieter, but I found it noticeably heavier than the K30. (And the K-01 would be even lighter.)

So for these reasons I am tempted to try the K-01.

The problem is, I tried the K-01 but returned it, because I was disappointed with the AF speed.

However, I have two reasons for wondering if it is worth another try.

1) I never updated the firmware. I believe this improves the AF speed. Was this improvement significant?

2) I found the AF, more or less, okay with my prime lenses, but really wasn't happy with it with my zoom lenses. But I didn't own the 18-135 when I had the K-01. But it is recommended to be used with the K-01 here Pentax K-01 Lens Guide - Photographic Articles - PentaxForums.com - is AF with this lens as quick as with the primes? (I have the DA40 XS and the DA 70.)

Alternatively, I might give up zooms completely and get the DA 15.

I can't justify spending any more really, so buying the K-01 would mean selling the K30, and buying the DA 15 would mean selling the 18-135.

(And if I want something like the flexibility of a zoom, I could always carry the K-01 and the Q - and would probably still be lighter than the K30 with the 18-135.)

Do I really want to give up my 18-135 though?

Any thoughts appreciated, but especially if you have answers to my two questions above.
When I first unboxed my K-01, I was extremely disappointed. The focus speed was glacial, and getting it to actually lock focus in a room with reasonable lighting was actually very difficult. I had only paid $346 for it, but that's a lot of cash for a camera I was now sure I hated.

But, I figured before I returned it, I'd at least update the firmware. I didn't think the entire nature of a camera could change just from a firmware upgrade, but it did. The K-01 became fast enough (I had never expected PDAF quickness, but I did expect quite a bit better than K-x LiveView focusing), and it locks even in very low light. With the focus assist light on, it focuses even in darkness, assuming the lens isn't really slow.

I can run some tests later, but only one of my lenses doesn't work well with the K-01. (28-210 Phoenix superzoom. It has trouble locking focus in LiveView on my K-30 too, though). Everything else is either adequate or fast.

I will say, despite it being a little slower overall, it is by far my favorite camera (I have two Qs, a K-x, a K-30, ME Super, and an SF-1). I use it more than any other, I take it with me often, even when it's inconvenient to. I'll often take my Q but then not take any photos with it. If I take my K-01, I almost always end up using it. It's just more fun to shoot with than any of my other cameras.

Charles.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 01-02-2014 at 04:53 PM.
01-02-2014, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Three more reasons:

1. It's cool.
2. The clean design makes operating it very efficient.
3. It looks and feels different, and will make you photograph accordingly. Creatively.

I have two.