Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

K-01 for Sports, oops

Well, I'm new on the forum here - hello to all ,
I've read on the forums here, a lot , to late. I didn't realize the K-01 was not gonna be a good sports / action type camera. I bought the body " white " , and I'm trying to use my old lenses.
which are 300's. Man is this thing painfully slow. Although it does take some good still pic's.
I mainly bought it for my wife to use since my daughter is starting into cheer leading at foofball " usa" ,,,,, She's tried to use it around the house a few times but its absolutely not what she was hoping for. She was hoping to be able to take some quick shots on the move....... I just wish I'd found this forum before I bough it.
So is there anything I could do to kick this thing up, or should I take the kick in the pocket and go find something else. And what should that something else be ?

thanks for any " HELP " ,,,,, .

06-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pmccook1 Quote
Well, I'm new on the forum here - hello to all ,
I've read on the forums here, a lot , to late. I didn't realize the K-01 was not gonna be a good sports / action type camera. I bought the body " white " , and I'm trying to use my old lenses.
which are 300's. Man is this thing painfully slow. Although it does take some good still pic's.
I mainly bought it for my wife to use since my daughter is starting into cheer leading at foofball " usa" ,,,,, She's tried to use it around the house a few times but its absolutely not what she was hoping for. She was hoping to be able to take some quick shots on the move....... I just wish I'd found this forum before I bough it.
So is there anything I could do to kick this thing up, or should I take the kick in the pocket and go find something else. And what should that something else be ?

thanks for any " HELP " ,,,,, .
DSLRs continue to be the best for sports. I'd say that the best bang for the buck right now is the Nikon D5200, with a 39-point AF system that it inherited from the D7000. If you want to say with Pentax, take a look at the K-5 II, which is the best in terms of AF speed but still not quite as fast as the competition (hopefully that will change soon).

Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera 1501 B&H Photo (Body, Black) D5200 24 Reviews
Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera 12016 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-01 isn't your best choice for sports. It's possible, but only if you really know what your doing. Else it is a wast off time and images.
06-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
but only if you really know what your doing <-----------------------------

that could be our biggest problem......

thanks for your suggestions.

06-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It's the difference between phase detect focusing and contrast detect. (K0-1 being the later)
To be honest, it's a shame we're all becoming so reliant on Auto Focusing. In the old days there was no AF and sports photographers managed. There's a focus ring on your lens, try that (also, use focus peaking when manually focusing). You can also set to manual and then set the camera to a hyper focal distance. Even pre focusing works well. I use pre focusing often even with my K-7 at motor sports events.

Sounds like you wife would be better off with a point'n'shoot with large optical zoom.
06-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
" I use pre focusing often even with my K-7 at motor sports events."
Pre-focusing + MF + Hi continuous shooting is a very common technique to photograph fast speed events, not just motorsports, but also for dog running, fast cycling.... with a digital camera.

It will work fine with the K-01, but you need to learn to use your camera and your lens for optimum results.

How does it work?

1- Set the camera to MF (eventually the lens also, with some non-Pentax lenses)

2- Set the shooting mode to Hi continuous shooting - Personally I recommend to shoot Jpeg [**] or [*] to increase the burst duration

3- Using the focal distance on the lens, pre-focus the lens to the distance between you and the focus point - You may wish to do some preliminary tests with your camera+lens to ensure that the lens focus ring is correctly calibrated, and adjust according.

4- When your target (car, person, animal) is coming towards the focus point, start a burst of Hi continuous shots, and ends once the target has passed our focus point

Depending upon the target, the aperture and your own skills, you may bet a few good (possibly great) shots to none for each burst.

Personally I use very successfully this technique with both my K-7 and K-01. I found that MF lenses have a much more precise focus ring, thus helping a more accurate pre-focusing.

Hope that the comment may help.
06-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I will just add that it also depends on the lens, I got suprising results on some of my lenses when I tested them. My biggish Sigma 17-70 without HSM was fine but my Teeny FA35-70 was rubbish.
I suspect the K-01 will work best with long primes as opposed to zooms but that is without personal experience.
Personally the K01 in my setup is the walkaround camera, especially with primes. Then the more control I need it goes on the K7, easier handling, faster, better AF, better controls and of course OVF.
06-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well the K-01 isn't your best choice for sports. It's possible, but only if you really know what your doing. Else it is a wast off time and images.
Ron is the resident master of sports with the K01 so his words are gospel on this subject

06-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pmccook1 Quote
but only if you really know what your doing <-----------------------------

that could be our biggest problem......
Well this was not to put you down in any way. Even the simplyist dslr from 6 years ago will be easier to take sportsimages with then the K-01. So you really want to take those images with your K-01 to make so much extra efford to get satisfying images. On the other hand the K-01 is capable off making excellent image quality, so there is a bonus when you succeed. But in reality the K-30/K-50 can do that same job more easier.
06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I went through the same dilemma and went back to my ist-DS for sports for a short time, specifically for my daughter's soccer games. I found that I preferred using the screen over the viewfinder so I went back to the K-01. Here's how I made it work for soccer photos -

1. I'm using a consumer zoom (FA 80-320mm) which is a decent performer except at the very long end but the largest f-stop is pretty small, 5.6 or greater at the long end. This causes the CDAF to front focus as the camera's focus algorithm seems to declare focus a little early. If I wanted sharp photos at the longer ranges, I had to prefocus in front of the action.

2. The AF doesn't track once the shutter is fully pressed so adjust accordingly during a sequence of shots.

3. On jpeg, the hi burst mode is good. I use it by shooting 3-5 shot bursts. This seemed to result in more keepers than going for single shots because timing of the shutter button is less critical.

4. AF on long lenses is just a tad slow for action shots so again, pre-focus really helps.

Some folks like to go to MF but I couldn't make it work for me.
06-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
Some folks like to go to MF but I couldn't make it work for me.
Yeh it's next to impossible on the LCD in bright sun, but it works great if you have a Hoodman Loupe (or similar)
06-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Yeh it's next to impossible on the LCD in bright sun, but it works great if you have a Hoodman Loupe (or similar)
I use the cheap Delkin shade and it works great. I simply couldn't keep up with the action using MF.