Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #1

What about a K-02

I would love to see a new Pentax mirrorless camera with the following features:
- Size of a sony Nex or a bit bigger for a better grip
- APS-C Sensor
- Focal register (Flange focal distance) of around 20mm so that you can put "any" lens on it, sold with a clever adapter for K-mount (autofocus, metering, etc)
- good amount of hard buttons for most used functions. And 2 analogical dials.
- Eletronic View Finder on the left side, like the nex6, (it is perfect to shoot with the both eyes open)
- Menu layout like we are used to and all the Pentax Goodies, like Focus Peaking, etc.
*(or a NEX-6 with Pentax approach to controls and menu... )

I personally think that Pentax is missing out on the Mirrorless Market, because the K01 was not much attractive to most people for its size and design (I actually liked the atempt, but dont find confortable to use). The Q is also great for its size and functionality, but still I think Pentax should have a camera to compete against Sony Nex, Samsung NX, Fuji X, Canon EOSM, and the micro-four-thirds.
I would also be very happy with such a camera because of the new metabones speedbooster adapter, that allows you to adapt a Full Frame lens on a mirrorless camera "increasing the maximum aperture by 1 stop" and you get almoust the same FOV of the a Fullframe lens on a full frame body | Speed Booster |

What do you think?
If more people like the idea, maybe would convince someone at Pentax to have a look at it.

06-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely not something I would be interested in. If I wanted a mirrorless that doesn't use my k-mount lenses I would just buy a Sony Nex. I would be interested in a k-02 but that would be a k-mount camera, I don't think even Pentax with their inscrutable naming conventions would name a non-K-mount camera the k-02

You may be right, Pentax may be be missing out on this market, but tossing out yet another mount to add to the growing collection just to enter a market already dominated by the competition does not seem like an appropriate use of resources. They already have the mirrorless k-01 which despite perhaps not selling as they expected is still a concept that deserves pursuit, as well as the Q line which based on the number of new models must be selling well for them or they would not have continued development.

I would rather they concentrate on their existing lines and grow the business. I think a K-02 is a viable entry but as a k-mount successor to the k-01 not a new camera line.
06-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax has the Q for the mirrorless market.
Don't think we will see another K-01

A new mount means you need new lenses.
Pentax already has 3 lens lines you know...
06-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

First of all, like Jatrax said, a K-02 would be a K-mount camera. This is one of the basic conflicts in viewpoint about the K-01. If you see it as a mirrorless camera that just happens to have a K-mount, then it's unnecessarily large. If you see it as a member of the K-mount family that happens to be mirrorless, then it's smaller than its digital siblings (but funny looking. And with slower focus.) If you throw out the mount, then you might as well call it a Q-02.

The NEX and NX always come up in the list of wants for a smaller mirrorless, with support for K-mount lenses a lower priority than body size. So why not get an NEX or an NX? Pentax isn't going to be able to beat Sony or Samsung on price, and both have a huge headstarts in terms of lens lineups and consumer-friendly features like touch screens or wireless support. This would be a job for Kiwi, or Kipon, or even Fotodiox - to make a powered adapter that supports K autofocus lenses on other mounts (and they would have done it by now, if there was any demand).

Last edited by THoog; 06-22-2013 at 10:36 AM.
06-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There have been quite a few K-02 wishlist threads around and a lot of us would like to see something. There were also some great ideas, I doubt Pentax would manage to implement them all.
I like the idea of a built-in "speed booster" doubling as "register distance shortener" but it seems like fantasy. But I think that there is room on the market for a K-mount mirrorless, even if its only slightly more compact than the DSLRs.
06-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by marcelezaaa Quote
- Size of a sony Nex or a bit bigger for a better grip
- APS-C Sensor
- Focal register (Flange focal distance) of around 20mm so that you can put "any" lens on it, sold with a clever adapter for K-mount (autofocus, metering, etc)
- good amount of hard buttons for most used functions. And 2 analogical dials.
- Eletronic View Finder on the left side, like the nex6, (it is perfect to shoot with the both eyes open)
- Menu layout like we are used to and all the Pentax Goodies, like Focus Peaking, etc.
*(or a NEX-6 with Pentax approach to controls and menu... )

I personally think that Pentax is missing out on the Mirrorless Market, because the K01 was not much attractive to most people for its size and design (I actually liked the atempt, but dont find confortable to use). The Q is also great for its size and functionality, but still I think Pentax should have a camera to compete against Sony Nex, Samsung NX, Fuji X, Canon EOSM, and the micro-four-thirds.
I would also be very happy with such a camera because of the new metabones speedbooster adapter, that allows you to adapt a Full Frame lens on a mirrorless camera "increasing the maximum aperture by 1 stop" and you get almoust the same FOV of the a Fullframe lens on a full frame body | Speed Booster |

What do you think?
If more people like the idea, maybe would convince someone at Pentax to have a look at it.
The Pentax K-01 was the first mirrorless on the market to be about just as big as a DSLR. Though I'd say that its controversial design probably skewed its overall appeal, I'd say that the market has shown us that for a mirrorless camera to be successful, it needs to be significantly smaller than a DSLR, yet still fast. The K-01 satisfied neither of these two criteria, so I think for now, only DSLRs will be made with the K-mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry, but now that we have a restyled K30 in a new wrapper (K50/K500), the days of Pentax taking chances are over. I'm glad too, because maybe now Pentax can get serious with cameras/lenses and stop playing "What if we made a camera like this...or that?"

I am hoping that the "toy" era of Pentax is over.
06-22-2013, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

If you want to use Pentax K mount lenses then you have to have a lens mount to sensor distance of 45.46mm, that's the baseline all other measurements are worked around, that's why the K-01 is the size it is, we could have had something better than 'the brick', something I can grip better, but to be fair to Pentax at least they filled that empty space with a battery that lasts all day and then some. I can see how the design evolved.

All the other cameras referred to have much shorter lens mount to sensor distances which means they can be smaller. If Pentax they had gone this route they would either have to design a whole new range of lenses as Nikon did, or use, probably, the Micro four thirds mount. That would mean taking on all the other manufacturers, who have had several years head start. Any other systems are doomed to be 'orphan' systems in the future, e.g. the Nikon mount. Personally I would like to see a Pentax Micro four thirds mount camera and any m4/3 lenses they made would certainly give the other manufacturers a good run for their money.

Edit;- The K-01 is far from being a 'toy' camera, it's a mirrorless, which is different, but mirrorless has some real advantages over optical viewfinders in certain situations.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 06-22-2013 at 05:44 PM.
06-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Forum Member

I think the K-01 was not positioned right when launching. The price was of course too high against no viewfinder, slow AF, uncomfortable grip ..
I bought it with DA40XS at $480 three weeks ago. I used it as 1)a stand-by camera of my K5; 2)daily companion for street shooting; 3)macro shooting, especially MF, for its function of focus peaking; 4)probing some good old prime k-mount lens.
The last two have brought me much fun!

If K-02 can strengthen certain functions and can be priced right, I think a fruitful niche market is still there.
06-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well if there is going to be a new mirrorless it probably will have K-mount. A new mount is a bit past the timeslot to be succesfull (look at Canon M). A new mount is not to be expected (doesn't work for Nikon/Canon) since people don't use in general these adapters, but if there will be a new mount it would be a M-mount with adapter. Joining the micro 4/3 is still an option, aldo I don't think it will ever happen since there is no money to earn.

I would like a K-02 K-mount and to be succesfull it could have a few things to make it unique:
- Full Frame sensor
- The only uncrippled K-mount (that will teach the old school boys)
- All those lovely colors at a good starting price

One off those three can be good enough.
06-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcelezaaa Quote
.. Blah blah Nex something Nex
What do you think?
Hmm. Not for me thanks. I much prefer my K-01
And for you? Can I recommend a Sony Nex.. Seems like you'd like one.
06-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax K-01 was the first mirrorless on the market to be about just as big as a DSLR. Though I'd say that its controversial design probably skewed its overall appeal, I'd say that the market has shown us that for a mirrorless camera to be successful, it needs to be significantly smaller than a DSLR, yet still fast. The K-01 satisfied neither of these two criteria, so I think for now, only DSLRs will be made with the K-mount.
The problem Pentax had with K-01 was that it really did not work well to make a mirrorless camera by just removing mirror and OVF from a DSLR and use higher price than comparable specified DSLR. They tried to mask this by using a "hot" design. But the design they choose probably did not help much.

Pentax solution lacked most of the features other mirrorless systems have, features that many user will want. (Silent and fast focusing lenses, great movie mode, articulating screen, EVF option, wi-fi, gps, touch screen...) K-01 might have been accepted on the market if it had been released 3 years earlier.

I have no doubt that a DSLR sized MILC like Panasonic GH3 is doing better that K-01 did (until fire sale price). Even though the price on GH3 is twice the (original) price on K-01.