Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

2 Questions: LiveView and D-lighting

So I'm new to mirrorless cameras, and new to Pentax =] I'm happy to say that I'm in love with this camera, and that I'm eager to get a Q7, and a K-5 IIs or a K-3 when it comes, and I CAN'T WAIT for a FF haha.. but oh well, for now, my K-01 is making me shoot with sheer joy.

Coming from Canon, there was this option where you could have LiveView display an always-correct exposure regardless of your camera settings, or a simulated view to see if it was under or overexposed. Is it possible with the K-01? Because it's VERY annoying for me that it's constantly changing aperture to have an always-visible image on screen.

And my other question.. D-lighting. If it's set to off, do I still have the same dynamic range? I mean, in RAW. How I understand it, to correct highlights it sets ISO to 200 to overexpose, then manually underexpose it and we still get those highlights. But wouldn't the same be true if I just overexpose a tad and then underexpose in Lightroom? I always shoot in RAW anyway so it's the same for me. And how does it do the trick for shadows?

06-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
So I'm new to mirrorless cameras, and new to Pentax =] I'm happy to say that I'm in love with this camera, and that I'm eager to get a Q7, and a K-5 IIs or a K-3 when it comes, and I CAN'T WAIT for a FF haha.. but oh well, for now, my K-01 is making me shoot with sheer joy.

Coming from Canon, there was this option where you could have LiveView display an always-correct exposure regardless of your camera settings, or a simulated view to see if it was under or overexposed. Is it possible with the K-01? Because it's VERY annoying for me that it's constantly changing aperture to have an always-visible image on screen.

And my other question.. D-lighting. If it's set to off, do I still have the same dynamic range? I mean, in RAW. How I understand it, to correct highlights it sets ISO to 200 to overexpose, then manually underexpose it and we still get those highlights. But wouldn't the same be true if I just overexpose a tad and then underexpose in Lightroom? I always shoot in RAW anyway so it's the same for me. And how does it do the trick for shadows?
D-lighting is mostly for jpeg, so if you shoot in raw, you should be able to recover the highlights regardless of that setting.

As for the live view display, you can't change it, but I do believe there is an option to highlight over/underexposed areas. DSLRs have that option, and I'm pretty sure the K-01 does too. Go to the live view options menu and see if it's there

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
D-lighting is mostly for jpeg, so if you shoot in raw, you should be able to recover the highlights regardless of that setting.

As for the live view display, you can't change it, but I do believe there is an option to highlight over/underexposed areas. DSLRs have that option, and I'm pretty sure the K-01 does too. Go to the live view options menu and see if it's there
I see, so if it's only for jpegs I'm good with those settings off =]

And yes, there is such option in there, I don't particularly like it because it seems distracting but I'll play around with it. It interferes with focus peaking's white outlines.