Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,880
the AF two step ?

When achieving focus using AF is there any way to avoid the big refocus it does after actual lock ?

I release the half press then on attempting to make the xposure,
the blessed af seems to have forgotten it already has focus
and does the big two step jiggle to get it again.
Is that it ? Have latest firmware

I like MF but the magnify view button being the OK button is a bugger. If only they could put it on half press...
That would be great....would that be just a firmware change ?...not that there will be any of those

06-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
I think with contrast detect, there is no choice. It must run through the range to make sure it is seeing the highest contrast. This is different to phase detect AF where it just checks the split beams landing on the AF sensor.
06-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,982
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
When achieving focus using AF is there any way to avoid the big refocus it does after actual lock ?

I release the half press then on attempting to make the xposure,
the blessed af seems to have forgotten it already has focus
and does the big two step jiggle to get it again.
Is that it ? Have latest firmware

I like MF but the magnify view button being the OK button is a bugger. If only they could put it on half press...
That would be great....would that be just a firmware change ?...not that there will be any of those
Pentax cameras will always refocus. Ricohs sometimes don't, so hopefully some day Pentax cameras will get the updated algorithms

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,289
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I release the half press then on attempting to make the xposure, the blessed af seems to have forgotten it already has focus
Just to make sure I understand: you are half pressing to achieve focus then releasing the half press and then pressing the shutter release again to take an exposure?

If so, then this is as designed, you have to maintain the 'half press' or else the camera starts all over again.

However, there is a possible solution. You can use the AF/AE-L button on the back to generate a focus lock instead of the 'half press' of the shutter button. To do this you will need to change a menu setting: Menu>Camera>3>Button customization>AF/AE-L>Enable AF2 This disables focusing with the shutter button and enables it only with the AF/AE-L button.

Hope this helps and if I misunderstood, sorry for confusing things.

06-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,880
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think with contrast detect, there is no choice. It must run through the range to make sure it is seeing the highest contrast. This is different to phase detect AF where it just checks the split beams landing on the AF sensor.
That make sense thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax cameras will always refocus. Ricohs sometimes don't, so hopefully some day Pentax cameras will get the updated algorithms
God willing...
06-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,880
Original Poster
Thanks for your helpful reply !
I do normally use the AF button on the back and it is the best way past the second af movement.
I was just trying with the shutter button but struck the refocus.
cheers
Pete

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just to make sure I understand: you are half pressing to achieve focus then releasing the half press and then pressing the shutter release again to take an exposure?

If so, then this is as designed, you have to maintain the 'half press' or else the camera starts all over again.

However, there is a possible solution. You can use the AF/AE-L button on the back to generate a focus lock instead of the 'half press' of the shutter button. To do this you will need to change a menu setting: Menu>Camera>3>Button customization>AF/AE-L>Enable AF2 This disables focusing with the shutter button and enables it only with the AF/AE-L button.

Hope this helps and if I misunderstood, sorry for confusing things.
06-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,707
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I like MF but the magnify view button being the OK button is a bugger.
+1

I'd like to be able to assign it to the red button. Simple firmware change! Just from that I would get twice the joy when using MF glass...
06-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Steinback's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,672
I tried several configurations and have settled on AF with half shutter press and AF cancel on the AF/AEL button as mentioned above. It seems to be a good compromise between achieving focus quickly the first time and then preventing attempts to refocus if I decide to take more photos of the same subject.

I would also like to be able to assign more custom functions to the red and green buttons, but I wouldn't bet on receiving another major firmware update at this point.

07-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alexandria VA USA
Posts: 315
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
+1

I'd like to be able to assign it to the red button. Simple firmware change! Just from that I would get twice the joy when using MF glass...
Is there a difference between the red button and the OK other than which finger you use?
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,707
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
Is there a difference between the red button and the OK other than which finger you use?
Yes, the red button is right near the shutter button, while the OK is all the way at the back-bottom of the camera. Hitting the red button (with either thumb or index, depending on how you hold the camera) would be much more natural, intuitive and quick than finding the OK button, which requires quite a bit of thumb movement and makes one's grip on the camera much less secure. On the whole this - IMHO - makes the whole MF experience flow much less naturally than it could...
07-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
There's an easy way to lock the focus.
Use AF to focus the subject, then flick the switch to MF.
Works a treat and easy to toggle with the left thumb as my hand is already in position cupping the K-01.
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,880
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
There's an easy way to lock the focus.
Use AF to focus the subject, then flick the switch to MF.
Works a treat and easy to toggle with the left thumb as my hand is already in position cupping the K-01.
My left thumb is nowhere near the AF/MF switch sadly.
I find switching to AF is easy as my index finger is an inch north.
But going back to MF, the switch is less useful with the finger.
07-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,880
Original Poster
silly question
do we lose the AE lock function completely when the button is given to AF etc ?
07-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,880
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
+1

I'd like to be able to assign it to the red button. Simple firmware change! Just from that I would get twice the joy when using MF glass...
that certainly would be better.
Ideally they could have it on a further rotate on the on/off switch. Even less searching for buttons
07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
My left thumb is nowhere near the AF/MF switch sadly.
I find switching to AF is easy as my index finger is an inch north.
But going back to MF, the switch is less useful with the finger.
That's too bad.. Works well for me though
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, button, firmware, focus, half, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, step
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q vs Q10 - one step sideways and one step backwards? Unsinkable II Pentax Q 25 09-29-2012 11:02 PM
Step Up or Step Down Adapter Big T Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 09-09-2012 07:48 AM
Easy step-by-step test for front/back focusing? Javaslinger Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 01-11-2011 12:51 PM
General rule for step-up step-down rings? uchinakuri Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-18-2010 09:54 PM
One step back to take two steps forward? johnmflores Photographic Technique 7 08-18-2009 07:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top