Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the AF two step ?

When achieving focus using AF is there any way to avoid the big refocus it does after actual lock ?

I release the half press then on attempting to make the xposure,
the blessed af seems to have forgotten it already has focus
and does the big two step jiggle to get it again.
Is that it ? Have latest firmware

I like MF but the magnify view button being the OK button is a bugger. If only they could put it on half press...
That would be great....would that be just a firmware change ?...not that there will be any of those

06-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think with contrast detect, there is no choice. It must run through the range to make sure it is seeing the highest contrast. This is different to phase detect AF where it just checks the split beams landing on the AF sensor.
06-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
When achieving focus using AF is there any way to avoid the big refocus it does after actual lock ?

I release the half press then on attempting to make the xposure,
the blessed af seems to have forgotten it already has focus
and does the big two step jiggle to get it again.
Is that it ? Have latest firmware

I like MF but the magnify view button being the OK button is a bugger. If only they could put it on half press...
That would be great....would that be just a firmware change ?...not that there will be any of those
Pentax cameras will always refocus. Ricohs sometimes don't, so hopefully some day Pentax cameras will get the updated algorithms

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I release the half press then on attempting to make the xposure, the blessed af seems to have forgotten it already has focus
Just to make sure I understand: you are half pressing to achieve focus then releasing the half press and then pressing the shutter release again to take an exposure?

If so, then this is as designed, you have to maintain the 'half press' or else the camera starts all over again.

However, there is a possible solution. You can use the AF/AE-L button on the back to generate a focus lock instead of the 'half press' of the shutter button. To do this you will need to change a menu setting: Menu>Camera>3>Button customization>AF/AE-L>Enable AF2 This disables focusing with the shutter button and enables it only with the AF/AE-L button.

Hope this helps and if I misunderstood, sorry for confusing things.

06-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think with contrast detect, there is no choice. It must run through the range to make sure it is seeing the highest contrast. This is different to phase detect AF where it just checks the split beams landing on the AF sensor.
That make sense thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax cameras will always refocus. Ricohs sometimes don't, so hopefully some day Pentax cameras will get the updated algorithms
God willing...
06-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your helpful reply !
I do normally use the AF button on the back and it is the best way past the second af movement.
I was just trying with the shutter button but struck the refocus.
cheers
Pete

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just to make sure I understand: you are half pressing to achieve focus then releasing the half press and then pressing the shutter release again to take an exposure?

If so, then this is as designed, you have to maintain the 'half press' or else the camera starts all over again.

However, there is a possible solution. You can use the AF/AE-L button on the back to generate a focus lock instead of the 'half press' of the shutter button. To do this you will need to change a menu setting: Menu>Camera>3>Button customization>AF/AE-L>Enable AF2 This disables focusing with the shutter button and enables it only with the AF/AE-L button.

Hope this helps and if I misunderstood, sorry for confusing things.
06-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I like MF but the magnify view button being the OK button is a bugger.
+1

I'd like to be able to assign it to the red button. Simple firmware change! Just from that I would get twice the joy when using MF glass...

06-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I tried several configurations and have settled on AF with half shutter press and AF cancel on the AF/AEL button as mentioned above. It seems to be a good compromise between achieving focus quickly the first time and then preventing attempts to refocus if I decide to take more photos of the same subject.

I would also like to be able to assign more custom functions to the red and green buttons, but I wouldn't bet on receiving another major firmware update at this point.
07-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
+1

I'd like to be able to assign it to the red button. Simple firmware change! Just from that I would get twice the joy when using MF glass...
Is there a difference between the red button and the OK other than which finger you use?
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
Is there a difference between the red button and the OK other than which finger you use?
Yes, the red button is right near the shutter button, while the OK is all the way at the back-bottom of the camera. Hitting the red button (with either thumb or index, depending on how you hold the camera) would be much more natural, intuitive and quick than finding the OK button, which requires quite a bit of thumb movement and makes one's grip on the camera much less secure. On the whole this - IMHO - makes the whole MF experience flow much less naturally than it could...
07-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There's an easy way to lock the focus.
Use AF to focus the subject, then flick the switch to MF.
Works a treat and easy to toggle with the left thumb as my hand is already in position cupping the K-01.
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
There's an easy way to lock the focus.
Use AF to focus the subject, then flick the switch to MF.
Works a treat and easy to toggle with the left thumb as my hand is already in position cupping the K-01.
My left thumb is nowhere near the AF/MF switch sadly.
I find switching to AF is easy as my index finger is an inch north.
But going back to MF, the switch is less useful with the finger.
07-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
silly question
do we lose the AE lock function completely when the button is given to AF etc ?
07-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
+1

that certainly would be better.
Ideally they could have it on a further rotate on the on/off switch. Even less searching for buttons
07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My left thumb is nowhere near the AF/MF switch sadly.
I find switching to AF is easy as my index finger is an inch north.
But going back to MF, the switch is less useful with the finger.
That's too bad.. Works well for me though