Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

DOF preview

Hi ,
prices for a new k-01 have dropped further , 279 euro for the body , 299 with kitlens.
Though i could buy a mint body for 200Euros .
So i am gone bite now.
But my question ; on the lcd screen , can i see the actual DOF as it will be on the picture ?

07-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, if you assign to 'Preview' to the red or green buttons, or if you are using an M42 lens. Otherwise, the K-01 usually holds the lens wide open, unless it gets too bright, in which case it stops down ("squints") to protect the sensor (at least, we think that's why it does it).
07-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

So, yes, you can see the DoF, even with focus peaking, but its still a small screen so its not perfect. You can do DoF preview (where lens gets stopped down to selected aperture), and you can set up the "digital zoom" (where the camera zooms in to one part of the screen for easier focusing, and when it does this, it opens lens to wide open).

But in regular mode, you don't necessarily see the same DoF as you get in the final photo, since, as mentioned, the camera sometimes keeps the aperture wider or narrower than the selection. Why does it do that? I'm sure it has its own reasons. Right now we think its to protect the sensor from bright light and to aid in composition, because its hard to frame a shot if your DoF is razor thin, so it stops down and you can see the whole frame and make sense of things. Of course, in low light, it keeps the lens wide open. None of this is really a problem if you are aware of it.
07-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
re

i would only use K-mount lenses
i don't want to buy m42 adapter
K-01 with 50mm f 1.7 seems like a cool combo
but there seem to be 50mm A and F lenses , what is the difference?

07-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

A was the third manual-focus series of lenses (after "K" and "M"). A-series lenses were the first to have contacts on the mount that allow the camera to set the aperture in 'P' or 'Av' modes.

F is the first auto-focus series.
07-04-2013, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kurt1968 Quote
but there seem to be 50mm A and F lenses , what is the difference?
There are many different Pentax 50mm lenses. Here is a quick breakdown:
K series, M series: These were among the first 50mm K mount lenses. They are valued for their high IQ and have a cult status in the Pentaxian community. They have old lens coatings (old variant of SMC), so they need a lens hood for best performance. They don't have any digital contacts, because they are so old. There is no AF, you have to focus manually, and you have to input the focal length in to the camera manually if you want to use SR. You need to enable aperture ring in the camera menu to use them, and then you set the aperture on the lens itself. You can only use them in M (manual) mode and Av (but in Av they stay wide open, so its not that useful). These lenses have all metal build and they last for centuries.
A series: These have an aperture contact and the camera can control the aperture. That means they have a lot more automation. Still no AF. But long focus throw for manual focusing, and high quality output. They also have distance scales and aperture ring.
F and FA series: These have autofocus and all the automation of A series. These can basically be used exactly like modern lenses. The lens is no longer all metal.
DA: This is the latest incarnation, brand new. Not very good at MF (short focus throw, no distance scale on focus ring), but have fast AF. No aperture ring (so you can't use it on some old film bodies or on macro bellows), but full automation on digital cameras. Newest lens coatings, good against flare, made for digital sensors (less ghosting, great flare resistance). Lens has very little metal, so its very light and resistant to shock, but its also not as resistant to crushing and probably won't last 100 years like the older versions do.

50mm lenses come in different f-stops, which generally correspond to quality.
f2.0 are cheapest, decent, but not amazing. Cheap, often get it for free when buying old film camera.
f1.4 are very bright, allow very thin DoF, great quality. Relatively expensive, but still fairly priced.
f1.7 probably best quality, but not as bright as f1.4. Not very expensive. Very popular, kind of the "sweet spot." The DA version is f1.8 instead of f1.7.
f1.2 (not to be confused with f1:2, which is actually f2.0, be careful on ebays) - legendary lens, pretty expensive, rare, very bright, artistic output, but still high IQ.
07-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
re

thx guys , now i know what to look for on the 2nd hand sites
07-05-2013, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

thx guys , now i know what to look for on the 2nd hand sites
Can I just say Kurt, the 25 bucks I spent on that original pentax m42 adapter was the best 25 bucks I ever spent on a camera accessory. The fun and enjoyment I have got from finding amazing old m42 Russian, German and Japanese lenses for cheap prices has made the pentax system worth it for me. You are ruling out a lot of great glass by not trying the screwmounts.

Those lenses ride on my camera way more often than my Pentax kmount M - A, DA, and Fa lenses. The Helios 44, -- Tair 135 2.8 - Jupiter 9 85mm = a Sears 50 1.4 that I will put up against the FA anyday. And many of the Taks and SMC Taks

07-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
re

25 $ is a good price for an adapter.
But the thing is , i don't buy on e*bay , i can't pay via paypal , you see.
But if i find a cheap one on the local 2nd hand site here in Belgium , i'll sure buy one for that price,
It is a shame that certain adapter cost 150$ and more.
So , please sum up some great m42 lenses , i will add them to my watchlist.
07-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
found one , but is it a good one ?
Inpandige M42 - PK Pentax adapter - Fotografie | Lenzen en Objectieven - Marktplaats.nl
07-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It might be. It looks like it is a flanged adapter (that little lip at the front). This can mean that some lenses don't focus to infinity on it. On the other hand, some lenses with narrow base (Helios 44-2, Industar 50-2, some Takumars) will allow CiF, because the adapter will cover the contacts. Flange also means there is a smaller chance of light leaks (holes) around the lens mount.
For 12 E it might be worth a try, but feel free to read up on some adapter threads on these forums. There were quite a few.
07-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
found 2 others ,Kipon and Capa , new

Kipon Lens Mount Adapter (M42 naar Pentax K)

Capa Adapter M42 to Pentax PK
07-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Those seem more similar to the official Pentax adapter, but at that price you might as well get a used Pentax adapter, at least the official one has been proven to work
07-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The Kipon has an inner flange to hold in the auto-aperture button, which is useful if you have M42 lenses without an auto/manual switch, like Carl Zeiss Jena "zebras", and IIRC some Yashicas.
07-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
re

ok thx guys