Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does K-01 have lens focus correction

Does the K-01 have the micro focus correction for AF lenses that the Dslr,s have?

07-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLRs have AF adjustment for their Phase-detect AF (PD AF). In live view, they have Contrast-detect AF (CD AF). These two types of AF function very differently. PD AF is fast, but there is some tolerance, which is why it needs adjustment sometimes. CD AF never needs adjustment, because it simply uses algorithms to maximize contrast in a given area. It is never "wrong" (though, it may still focus on some object that you don't want).
So K-01, because it is always in live view, does not need AF adjustment and it does not have AF micro adjust. It only has CD AF, no PD AF. No CD AF camera has micro adjustment for AF. Its AF was a little slow, but reliable. With firmware updates, the speed was improved greatly. Only problem with K-01 AF is for moving subjects, like a dog running toward you, or with lenses that have an odd DoF (lenses with a high minimum f-number, slow lenses). It works like a charm with fast primes, like the DA 40mm XS, DA 35mm f2.4, etc.

Feel free to search the forums for some more topics on K-01 AF abilities, and a list of lenses with poor AF performance on the K-01.
07-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 A16P zoom,
a lens that commonly has front- or back-focus issues with PDAF.
On a K-x camera, which doesn't have any formal adjustment,
I have always had to use live view for critical focusing (e.g. at f/2.8).
The lens focuses perfectly on the K-01.
07-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

lytrytyr, you might want to take a look at -- RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment -- for hacking the K-x debug menu. It allows for making some adjustment to front or back focus.

But, do proceed at your own risk and read the warnings at the end of the web page regarding which firmware the hack works with etc.

07-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
hacking the K-x debug menu. It allows for making some adjustment to front or back focus.

Right, I'm aware of that option, so I wrote that the K-x
"doesn't have any formal adjustment".

However, the hack only makes a single global adjustment, as far as I can tell,
so it doesn't help if you want to switch lenses quickly,
or even if the zoom needs different corrections at different focal lengths.

This is why the K-01,
with relatively fast CDAF under the new firmware,
is such a useful tool.
07-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks...
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
CD AF never needs adjustment, because it simply uses algorithms to maximize contrast in a given area. It is never "wrong" (though, it may still focus on some object that you don't want).
Not so sure I'm convinced. Not saying you're wrong in theory, but in practice I can't confirm it.
I have an 18-55mm Pentax lens which back focuses badly. In the K-7 I can correct this using the AF adjustment.
But I can't use this lens on the K-01, AF is out. Even MF with or without FP, it simply produces the typical blurred results of a back focussing lens.
07-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Even MF with or without FP, it simply produces the typical blurred results of a back focussing lens.
Wait, backfocusing with MF? Doesnt this mean the lens is the problem, that it maybe changes focus as it stops down or has decentered elements?

07-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just noticed while manual focusing my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 on my K-5 IIs yesterday that the lens focuses past infinity. Different problem, I know. Just thought I'd share.