Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Broken flash on K-01

Hi everyone - I'm an avid reader of the forums, but now a first time poster, as I have a problem I'm seeking advice on.

My K-01 has developed a problem with the internal flash. I was using the flash intentionally for some photos in low light, having popped it up manually. I pushed it back down, but somehow the camera thinks the flash is still up. The manual flash pop-up button now doesn't work for releasing the flash, but I can pop it up by forcing a thin object in the crack and forcing it up gently. If I release the shutter with the flash in its down position, the flash discharges into the camera (probably not good).

So, I cannot really use the camera except in flash-off mode, but that severly restricts manual operations. Alternately I can use the camera with the flash up, but I don't really like the idea of having all my photos with a flash going off, even at -2EV.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Any ideas on solving it myself? Alternately, any recommendations or warnings for getting it repaired by Pentax or otherwise?

07-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it is still under warranty send it in. Sounds like somethign worked loose or broke and it would need taken apart to fix it.
07-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm don't have that problem myself. Maybe there you can see a contact or a switch that needs to be moved a little?
But I dont see how having the onboard flash turned off limits you?
07-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
I will be returning this for service under warranty.

The limitation of shooting in flash-off mode is that I have no manual control over aperture, at least with the kit 40mm XS lens which does not have a manual aperture ring.