Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Still Green Button is an unnecessary extra step here. With removed coupling lenses are working quite naturally in Aperture Priority.
As a bonus they always showing correct DOF preview on K-01 screen, since aperture values are real, and not the max aperture in case of lens with coupling.
I kinda like it.
The way I look at it,
use the green button for DoF preview,
and the Av button to set the shutter speed.

It's quick and convenient,
no surgery necessary.

A stopped-down lens can be hard to focus.

07-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Rather than remove the coupling, won't you get the same results if you just put a bit of tape on the lens mount so that the body thinks the lens is an M42?
I never heard of this tape trick, coupling is mechanical, it is the lever on lens mount.
07-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never heard of this tape trick, coupling is mechanical, it is the lever on lens mount.
If you use aluminum tape over the contacts, they will not be shorted by the lens mount and you can use the lens like an M42. I never got around to it, and it is an extra step. I just bought a Sony NEX for my manual glass, but that's certainly a more expensive route.
07-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not aluminum tape (which is conductive), just a bit of celophane tape on the lens mount. This insulates the contact on the body that detects a K- or M- lens, so it treats it like an M42 and doesn't hold the aperture wide open. Takes about a minute to apply, completely reversible. (Apologies for going off-topic and to everyone who's seen this before - I first posted it last October, and about half-dozen time since.)

Last edited by THoog; 07-15-2013 at 09:44 PM.
07-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Not aluminum tape (which is conductive), just a bit of celophane tape on the lens mount. This insulates the contact on the body that detects a K- or M- lens, so it treats it like an M42 and doesn't hold the aperture wide open. Takes about a minute to apply, completely reversible. (Apologies for going off-topic and to everyone who's seen this before - I first posted it last October, and about half-dozen time since.)

Damn, it worked. Thanks a bunch. I've been shooting digital Pentax since 2003 and I have never heard about this trick.

Are they all insane in Pentax? If this coupling is controlled by electrical contacts there should be a menu item disabling coupling for M lenses on K-01 instead of (or in addition) to this idiotic green button.
Just like a menu allowing use of aperture ring.
Use of green button make sense on DSLR to save brightness of VF, but on our mutant camera it is absolutely unnecessary since it controls brightness of LCD automatically.
07-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn, it worked. Thanks a bunch. I've been shooting digital Pentax since 2003 and I have never heard about this trick.

Are they all insane in Pentax? If this coupling is controlled by electrical contacts there should be a menu item disabling coupling for M lenses on K-01 instead of (or in addition) to this idiotic green button.
Just like a menu allowing use of aperture ring.
Use of green button make sense on DSLR to save brightness of VF, but on our mutant camera it is absolutely unnecessary since it controls brightness of LCD automatically.
Well, the K-01 is basically just a Pentax DSLR stuck in LiveView, so they left it like all its siblings. A 'disable' setting would be nice, but as others have pointed out, the vast majority of shooters are using modern AF lenses, or even just the kit lens. I suspect Pentaxians are more likely to shoot old glass, but Pentax' expectation seems to be that they will be more advanced users who are more willing to deal with stop-down metering or coming up with workarounds.
07-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Are they all insane in Pentax?
They probably think its insane to lose customers to lenses they sold 30 years ago. They want you to buy their current, convenient lineup. So they didn't devote any resources to old lenses and only gave limited support.
Which is too bad for us, but some other brands are even worse in this regard. And we are clever and come up with workarounds. Or resilient and deal with it.

07-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, the K-01 is basically just a Pentax DSLR stuck in LiveView, so they left it like all its siblings. A 'disable' setting would be nice, but as others have pointed out, the vast majority of shooters are using modern AF lenses, or even just the kit lens. I suspect Pentaxians are more likely to shoot old glass, but Pentax' expectation seems to be that they will be more advanced users who are more willing to deal with stop-down metering or coming up with workarounds.
Funny, I bought K-01 pretty much to have an inexpensive "smaller" carry around camera to use with older MF primes, years after I switched my main setup to FF Cannon.
And I think K01 serves this strange role rather well, with some workarounds.
07-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Agree with Na Horuk and Mike Bokeh. Burn not your house to get rid of the mouse.
I like that, Kobayashi.

Do you mind if I use it?

Mike
07-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonV Quote
What would you suggest getting to complement the k-01? I'm looking to start off with one limited lens first and pick up something else later on down the road.

The 15 if you want to take the time to learn to use it. From your post I would think the 21 would be a better choice. It is my most used lens. There just isn't all that much difference between 3.2 and 2.4.