Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please help with this quick K-01 test!

I need your help. Want to use a TV-type infrared remote control instead of my less-powerful tiny Pentax F IR control. Have heard that a Sony remote might work... but have no idea.

If you have a minute, could you try whatever IR remote controls you use around your house on your K-01? Just change the drive mode from Single to Remote first, The little red light on the front will start flashing, and -- if you've got the 'right' remote -- it will take a picture when you push a button (what button?) on the remote.

Fun! Please help -- this could be a really useful international K-01 experiment!

Thanks in advance, Jon Donahue in San Diego

07-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm. . . Just tried most of the buttons on my Sony remote, and no luck. . . . And then the camera battery gave out. I may try again in the morning, but for now, good night.
07-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't think any TV remote will work, what do work are the cheap universal ones, just get them to do a code scan and usually the power button works for tripping all Pentax cameras that have an IR sensor.

As you can buy one of the small, cheap IR triggers off eBay for around £3, cheaper than the universal ones, it's not worth the hassle, the universal ones don't have any more range.

Edit: It seems that the Toshiba family of codes work for Pentax, interestingly the same setting on the universal remote also works on my Panasonic cameras, with these the channel up button takes a picture and the channel down button gives me shutter half press (auto focus), something that Pentax cameras don't have, though you can set auto focus before shutter release when using IR in the Menu.

Some cameras with WiFi can be totally remote controlled from an iPad or similar with the relevant app installed, including seeing what the camera is seeing from it's remote location and all the controls including altering settings in the menu, all of these cameras that can do this are mirrorless. Leaves Pentax a little behind the game I think.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 07-19-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: addition
07-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This might help... Quote: "Sony TV PIP "Swap" button will work to trigger the shutter. This works on both my Sony TV remote, and my One For All universal remote."

07-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@Doundounba -- thanks! That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping this thread would turn up.

Now, BIG NEWS --
It gives me great pleasure to report that the 'TV-B-Gone' device triggers the K-01 shutter from way across a room... just like a regular TV remote. Remembered this morning that I had one, from before retirement, when I wanted to turn off the noisy TVs in the company cafeteria. And it works perfectly... you push the button... and the K-01 takes the picture! Since it is IR, line-of-sight to that front-of-camera-sensor still applies... but you can be off at quite an angle and it still works. US $19.95. Recommended!

Amazon.com : TV-B-Gone Universal TV Power Remote Control Keychain : Electronics
Attached Images