Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

K-01 Shutter Curtain Always Open

Dunno if it's the right place to post it, if wrong please move it elsewhere

This morning I took some photos using the k-01
I get some of my photos over exposure, whereas shuuter speed around 320.
after I turned the sensor curtain would not close even in shutdown state. when taking pictures curtain can still go down.
before I took some video with Pentax smc 55mm f2 lens

would anyone encountered a problem like this before, I ask for help.
thank you

sorry for my english

07-25-2013, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you know it is always open?
Try the following: Remove battery, fill it up, leave it outside the camera for a couple hours, put it back in.
In the menu, go to sensor cleaning and it should "open" and when you turn it off, it should "close."
Keep in mind, the K-01 has no mirror.
07-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
k-01 does not have a mirror, but it has a curtain. previously, the curtains are always closed and protect the sensor when the camera is turned off. I can see it when the lens is removed
I've done as you say but the problem remains the same.
maybe it should be brought to the service center
thank you very much for the advice
07-26-2013, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

sounds like it might be stuck open, also just might be a setting keeping it open, but I think you can only keep it open to clean the sensor with the "clean sensor" option in the menu. so I'm guessing yours is stuck open, but if it's stuck open wouldnt it be causing problems with setting shutter speeds also?

07-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
sounds like it might be stuck open, also just might be a setting keeping it open, but I think you can only keep it open to clean the sensor with the "clean sensor" option in the menu. so I'm guessing yours is stuck open, but if it's stuck open wouldnt it be causing problems with setting shutter speeds also?
maybe you are right,
I actually do not mind if it's always open.
if no effect on shutter speed

I've repeated several times, if the shutter speed required in example 1/300, I set in 1/1000 was also the result will be over exposure and shutter sound heard no faster than 1/100.
07-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hm. Let me see if I get this straight:
You have the camera turned off. You remove the lens and you can see the shiny sensor, instead of the plastic shutter made of 3 parts.
And when you turn the camera "on" (no lens on it), nothing changes inside. And if you take a photo, the shutter does something, but not quite right? Can you try Tv mode with different shutter speeds and you look at the shutter to see what it does when you take photos?
And when you turn it off again, it stays open?

Sometimes batteries can cause mirror malfunctions in DSLRs, but Ive never read about the K-01 having problems with the shutter. Maybe if you could try another battery? But you might have to send it in for service.
07-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Keep in mind, when the camera is on, the shutter must be open for there to be an image on the screen so the shutter is actually open most of the time during operation. Not sure about when the camera is off.

07-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm. Let me see if I get this straight:
You have the camera turned off. You remove the lens and you can see the shiny sensor, instead of the plastic shutter made of 3 parts.
And when you turn the camera "on" (no lens on it), nothing changes inside. And if you take a photo, the shutter does something, but not quite right? Can you try Tv mode with different shutter speeds and you look at the shutter to see what it does when you take photos?
And when you turn it off again, it stays open?

Sometimes batteries can cause mirror malfunctions in DSLRs, but Ive never read about the K-01 having problems with the shutter. Maybe if you could try another battery? But you might have to send it in for service.
I've tried it, and it seems there is also a problem with the dial button.
When I moved to the Tv, P, as well as Auto, the LCD is still read as Av.
I've turned it over and over again, but I just get a mode M, Av, and Bulb.

Last edited by dewaruchi; 07-27-2013 at 02:15 AM.
07-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by dewaruchi Quote
I've tried it, and it seems there is also a problem with the dial button.
When I moved to the Tv, P, as well as Auto, the LCD is still read as Av.
I've turned it over and over again, but I just get a mode M, Av, and Bulb.
Using an A, F, or FA lens? Set the aperture ring to A. Then you'll be able to dial Tv, Av, P, Auto, and M (or TAv if ISO is set on Auto). Doesn't have anything to do with your shutter staying open.

More detailed variations are listed in the article K-01, Manual-Focus Lenses, and the Green Button.
07-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
Using an A, F, or FA lens? Set the aperture ring to A. Then you'll be able to dial Tv, Av, P, Auto, and M (or TAv if ISO is set on Auto). Doesn't have anything to do with your shutter staying open.

More detailed variations are listed in the article K-01, Manual-Focus Lenses, and the Green Button.
enable or disable the aperture ring has no effect, maybe software fail
I will send my k-01 to the service center next month
08-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Forum Member

I had the exact same problem. I shoot manual with manual lenses. Set shutter to ISO 100 f/16 1/1000th of a second...still overexposed with motionblur on overcast day. Should've had a black frame. Quite the opposite. I am not sure what the issue was. I sent it to Arizona for service about a week and a half ago. Luckily, I have a backup k-o1.
08-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Forum Member

actually, I should elaborate a little. I shoot street photos everyday. The K-o1 that had the issue was purchased new on Amazon in April and was under the 1 year warranty when it malfunctioned. I was out on 7.24.13 (had the camera just about exactly 3 months, shooting with it daily, on average 1000 photos a week, so shutter should have about 12k shots, which, according to another post, is actually about 48k shutter actuations (close, open, close, open due to the live view only)).

I am using a Pentax "k" 30mm f/2.8 lens. Stopped down to about f/8, f/11 I was shooting between 1/320 and 1/500th of a second with manual adjustments to ISO to compensate over/underexposure. I was noticing overexposure in areas where I was metering under by at least 1 EV and, more concerning to me, motion blur visible in the 3" display at shutter speeds of 1/400th of a second. I couldnt figure it out, so I stopped down and shortened my exposure time to 1/640, 1/800 and finally 1/1000th of a second with no qualitative difference in the exposure or degree of motion blur. On my list of suspected issues were

a) the SR was malfunctioning
b) the lens (unlikely) was not stopping down -- wouldnt cause the motion blur
c) the sensor or ISO setting was fritzing out...also unlikely as the sensor's sensitivity likewise wouldnt cause the motion blur.
or
d) the shutter was hitting a maximum exposure of, best I could tell, somewhere below 1/250th of a second. The exposures looked more like 1/100th or 1/80th....in that range.

The following morning I took some more test shots and sure enough decided that it hadnt fixed itself overnight. I switched the camera off, and went to switch out the lens onto my other K-o1. That is when I noticed the shutter was wide open. I contacted Pentax USA and was instructed to send the camera in for Warranty service to CRIS camera in Chandler, AZ. I called them and they advised that the camera was under warranty and still considered a serviceable model.

Two things to note: a). I noticed with this particular K-o1, that there were (brass?) hinges on one side of each "leaf" of the 3-leaf shutter which were visible when the shutter was closed. I cannot see these on my other K-o1. Leads me to believe that possibly the shutter on that camera may have been installed backwards? b). In regard to the battery thing...I did have one battery fry out on me (was the Pentax brand D-LI90 included with the camera) just prior to this happening.

In terms of shutter life, I am not sure my experience can be considered representative of the expected life of the shutter. I would be interested to hear if anyone has a shutter life higher than 12k photos and if they have encountered any issues of this sort.

I was going to wait until I got the camera back from CRIS camera to post a full report on the issue, but seeing that someone else had the same issue, I thought I would chime in and verify that this is not an entirely isolated case.
09-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #13

I've experienced these frightening bugs as others did. I've sent the K-01 to service on Aug. 28th and i'll report noteworthy things in the future.
I wonder how widespread this defect is.

- Shutter curtain always open
- White blur on images when shot in burst mode
- Shuts down when trying to take a shot, won't turn on until i place the battery on charger for at least a moment.
- Rarely, LCD turned black with white stripes just for a moment. Did it about 3 times during his 2 month duty.

(Very satisfied with the K10D i got loan)
11-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #14

Still waiting for warranty service, i'm not sure Pentax was a good choice.
11-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is the first time I have heard of a K-01 having this problem, and I don't think Pentax mirrorless cameras have any more problems than other brand mirrorless cameras. But I understand your frustration. Feel free to look into other brands. Though, I'm sure if you google you can see what great photos and videos the K-01 can produce. Maybe you can call up your warranty repair store, ask them what is taking so long