Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
What will not work, unfortunately is an external monitor for still shots. The camera automatically goes into play mode when HDMI is connected. Bummer. I'd hoped the Lilliput would work on the K01 as well as the K5.
The composite output works for this.

07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@GeneV -- That IS a shame. Otherwise, the K-01 would make a great inexpensive studio camera... works perfectly with PocketWizards, and it's got great image quality.

Anybody know a workaround that would let us hook up a monitor?
07-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
@GeneV -- That IS a shame. Otherwise, the K-01 would make a great inexpensive studio camera... works perfectly with PocketWizards, and it's got great image quality.

Anybody know a workaround that would let us hook up a monitor?
Yes, use the composite output. The lower resolution works well enough on small screens.
07-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #19

What's a VF-3 viewfinder?

Not the Panasonic VF-3, right?

07-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

@rob22315 -- Thanks Rob! Any recommendation for the kind of connecting cable you'd need?

@chiane -- No -- they are talking about a Carry Speed loupe VF-3 viewer ... see VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

For a simpler solution, you could get an old Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder... keep it in your pocket, and put it in the hotshoe when you need it. It is set for a 28mm (equiv) field of view; will become increasingly inaccurate as your lens gets longer (more telephoto). See Amazon.com: Olympus VF-1 Optical Viewfinder for use with Olympus PEN and OM-D Micro Four Thirds Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo
07-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes, it will work nicely

I forgot on how many threads I've posted these images... and people still complain of the missing EVFs
07-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
Inactive Account

@rob22315 -- Thanks Rob! Any recommendation for the kind of connecting cable you'd need?

@chiane -- No -- they are talking about a Carry Speed loupe VF-3 viewer ... see VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

For a simpler solution, you could get an old Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder... keep it in your pocket, and put it in the hotshoe when you need it. It is set for a 28mm (equiv) field of view; will become increasingly inaccurate as your lens gets longer (more telephoto). See Amazon.com: Olympus VF-1 Optical Viewfinder for use with Olympus PEN and OM-D Micro Four Thirds Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo
If you just want video, get I-VC28. If you want video and sound, get I-AVC7. See pg 178 of the manual for more.

07-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@chiane -- No -- they are talking about a Carry Speed loupe VF-3 viewer
BTW, Carry Speed imports these to the USA, but is not the manufacturer. The VF-3 is made by Swivi and may be available directly from them for less than CS. It's worth looking into for anyone who's interested:
Amazon.com: VF-3 Swivi Universal LCD View Finder for DSLR: Camera & Photo

For a simpler solution, you could get an old Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder... keep it in your pocket, and put it in the hotshoe when you need it. It is set for a 28mm (equiv) field of view; will become increasingly inaccurate as your lens gets longer (more telephoto).
They seem to be advertising the Olympus VF-1 to go with the 17mm prime, which would make it a 34mm FOV (more likely 35mm). That would match about 23mm on Pentax. I bought a Petri Tele-Wide finder for about $25 that has a 45mm FOV. It works well with the 28mm, would be even better with the 30mm f1.4 that Pentax promised and never delivered.
07-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
BTW, Carry Speed imports these to the USA, but is not the manufacturer. The VF-3 is made by Swivi and may be available directly from them for less than CS. It's worth looking into for anyone who's interested:
Amazon.com: VF-3 Swivi Universal LCD View Finder for DSLR: Camera & Photo

They seem to be advertising the Olympus VF-1 to go with the 17mm prime, which would make it a 34mm FOV (more likely 35mm). That would match about 23mm on Pentax. I bought a Petri Tele-Wide finder for about $25 that has a 45mm FOV. It works well with the 28mm, would be even better with the 30mm f1.4 that Pentax promised and never delivered.
Interesting, their are such a limited number of viewfinders in the world and two of them have the same name. Creative.
07-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Interesting, their are such a limited number of viewfinders in the world and two of them have the same name. Creative.
The Swivi and Carry Speed VF-3 not only have the same model name, they are the same product. Swivi is the VF-3 manufacturer, Carry Speed imports and sells them in North America..
07-31-2013, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yes, it will work nicely

I forgot on how many threads I've posted these images... and people still complain of the missing EVFs
The CarrySpeed/Swivi is a superb hood/loup for the K-01. It makes the K-01 large and bulky. I find it ideal on a tripod outdoors.

I found the ClearViewer to be a much more compact alternative. I have the tripod socket version and it really tranforms the K-01. It is a solution for hand holding the K-01 an allows an eye level view. Very important with my over 40 vision.

Clearviewer tripod mount

None of these solutions would be needed if Pentax/Ricoh would release a K mount camera with an eyelevel EVF.
08-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Swivi and Carry Speed VF-3 not only have the same model name, they are the same product. Swivi is the VF-3 manufacturer, Carry Speed imports and sells them in North America..
I was saying the Panasonic and the Carry Speed.
08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
I was saying the Panasonic and the Carry Speed.
Think that's bad? There are four teams in the Canadian Football League (CFL). Two of them are named the Roughriders.
08-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

@Rob22315 -- thanks for the cable tips. Appreciated.

@audiobomber -- Only four? Lived in Toronto in the '70s... just checked on Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League ... looks like there are more than four, but only one Roughriders this time around, they changed the name of the Ottawa RRs. Also, looks like they expanded into the States for a while, which I totally didn't notice. But -- and this will warm your heart, if you're still up in Sudbury -- the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are alive and well!

Agree on the Pentax 30mm f/1.4 lens. Wouldn't that be nice... some time back, I read that Pentax thinks our normal field-of-view equates to 43mm full-frame. And I'd agree with that... it 'feels right'. What's so hard about making a 'normal' FOV lens for APS-C? Didn't Sigma make one of these a while ago?
08-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

a 100 dollar plastic box for a ~200 dollar camera? that doesn't sounds like a logical solution.

I'm gonna go ahead and get a small hood for it, and patch it up with paper to make a square box to look through. seriously 100 dollar for a plastic box is going a little too far.