Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Will the VF-3 View Finder work on the K-01?

Has anyone used the Carry Speed VF-3 viewfinder on their K-01? This Florida sun makes it tough to use my K-01 in the day.

07-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've seen many people using something similar.
07-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

I have a VF-2 which fits very well on my Yellow brick. Whatever you use it should have a 3-2 aspect ratio to fit the LCD viewfinder. No diopter was not a problem for me, I can use it with or without glasses and it is great for manual focusing with either manual or auto lenses.
07-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I used a VF-3 on a K-01. It's a good match, you can see the entire screen. The buttons on the right side of the VF are a bit cramped, but all are operable.

07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dan - do you find that with the VF-3 that the camera seems large now or are you comfortable still shooting with it. I definitely miss the viewfinder with the K-01 in the sun but other times it seems okay.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I used a VF-3 on a K-01. It's a good match, you can see the entire screen. The buttons on the right side of the VF are a bit cramped, but all are operable.
07-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Dan. I'm going to get the VF-3 then. The K-01 is my first Pentax and it won't be my last. When the K5II successor arrives, that will be my next camera.
07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Dan - do you find that with the VF-3 that the camera seems large now or are you comfortable still shooting with it. I definitely miss the viewfinder with the K-01 in the sun but other times it seems okay.
I found the VF3 quite uncomfortable, not so much due to size, but because the K-01 has no grip. You may want to investigate other styles of loupe or shade as well. I can't advise you though, I don't know anything about them.

07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Dan for the information. Do you still use the VF3 for only in the sun then?

Cheers

I found the VF3 quite uncomfortable, not so much due to size, but because the K-01 has no grip. You may want to investigate other styles of loupe or shade as well. I can't advise you though, I don't know anything about them.
07-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Dan for the information. Do you still use the VF3 for only in the sun then?

Cheers
I sold the K-01 last week. I'm using the VF-3 with a Q. It's tricky but doable.
07-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have another friend who now has the Q and he really likes it, so let us know how the VF3 works with your Q in the end

I sold the K-01 last week. I'm using the VF-3 with a Q. It's tricky but doable.
07-24-2013, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I have another friend who now has the Q and he really likes it, so let us know how the VF3 works with your Q in the end
Carry Speed doesn't recommend it, because the Q is too shallow. You can make it work with a camera plate between the Q and the VF3 (the plate needs a tripod screw and a threaded hole). I bought an Arca Swiss plate that someone recommended, but even then I had to cut away a portion so it would fit the Pentax K to Q adapter. With a third party adapter I bought, I ended up sawing off the tripod mount, because it was hitting the VF3. Mine works on the Q now, but I cannot recommend a VF3 for the Q. I'm sure there are other LCD magnifiers available that fit without having to carve up your gear.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-25-2013 at 06:40 AM.
07-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I've been using the generic Chinese versions V5 and V2 I believe .. they were like $12 delivered. Most of the difference seems to be in the way they attach. I like the wire frame/magnetic method myself. Trick is nobody makes a custom one for either the K-01 nor Q (as of two months ago).

So I got two - one for a V1 that I redrilled the tripod hole for the Q. The other was for a Rebel and I inverted that one to slide into the K-01 hotshoe instead, with some epoxy magic .. this way I get to keep my tripod mount!

Now the fit is perfect, all buttons are accessible. I only use these with tele lenses for focusing, it works good enough!

Of course, they only magnify the screen, but does help a lot.

Here you can see a generic "LCD-V5" on the Q .. the hood loupes are in fact identical and interchangeable despite different numbers on them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/226748-evf-finder-k-01-soluti...ml#post2406166

07-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ok thanks for the photo, that's what I was wondering what the camera would look like with a loupe like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
I've been using the generic Chinese versions V5 and V2 I believe .. they were like $12 delivered. Most of the difference seems to be in the way they attach. I like the wire frame/magnetic method myself. Trick is nobody makes a custom one for either the K-01 nor Q (as of two months ago).

So I got two - one for a V1 that I redrilled the tripod hole for the Q. The other was for a Rebel and I inverted that one to slide into the K-01 hotshoe instead, with some epoxy magic .. this way I get to keep my tripod mount!

Now the fit is perfect, all buttons are accessible. I only use these with tele lenses for focusing, it works good enough!

Of course, they only magnify the screen, but does help a lot.

Here you can see a generic "LCD-V5" on the Q .. the hood loupes are in fact identical and interchangeable despite different numbers on them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/226748-evf-finder-k-01-soluti...ml#post2406166
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a solution I've used for months now with no problems. Get a Hoodman 3" loupe, and use gaffer tape to attach it to your K-01. At first, I had rubber bands on it as well... but after a week one broke, and then I realized the gaffer tape was holding perfectly, didn't need any help, doesn't come off when the camera is bumped around. Hollywood magic! Unlike duct tape, it doesn't leave a sticky mess when you take it off. See ProTapes Pro Gaffer Natural Rubber Premium Matte Camouflage Adhesive Tape, 11 mils Thick, 55 yds Length, 2" Width, Black (Pack of 1): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific and also Amazon.com: Hoodman H-LPP3 HoodLoupe 3.0 Professional 3-Inch Screen Loupe: Camera & Photo ... also, on the end of the loupe, you can turn the diopter ring to adjust it to your eyesight so you never have to take off your glasses (I'm nearsighted).

It has made my K-01 a delight to use. Outdoors in bright sunlight, taking pictures of airplanes against a bright sky, you name it. You see the whole screen with all the information, like the histogram, clear as a bell! As for making the K-01 too large ... well ... once past my RX100 shirt-pocket camera, everything else can be whatever size or weight -- you have to carry it or wear it, so who cares how heavy or large it is.

Using a loupe is much better than struggling to compose with a small DSLR eye-level viewfinder ... no guessing here, you can see clearly what the picture is and you never miss a picture. Fantastic!

Hope this helps -- here's a picture...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100  Photo 

Last edited by jon404; 07-25-2013 at 12:22 PM.
07-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What will not work, unfortunately is an external monitor for still shots. The camera automatically goes into play mode when HDMI is connected. Bummer. I'd hoped the Lilliput would work on the K01 as well as the K5.