Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can K-01 Be Used As Flash Controller?

Well, got my K-01 in today and it's a great little camera that does almost everything I want. *Almost* because Pentax decided to be stupid and not allow it to be a flash controller. What the heck? Every other Pentax digital can do this but the K-01 cant. Anyhow, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent *cheap* wireless controller?

07-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, well, the new title is definitely better than the one I had, but it's a little weird that it just changed itself like that

Sorry about the rant, it just seems to be a purely marketing decision, not something that's in any way a technical limitation of the camera, and it annoyed me.

Last edited by nixcamic; 07-23-2013 at 10:28 PM.
07-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um, what exactly are you talking about? Can you be more specific in what you want to achieve and what you are doing?
If you are asking about wireless flash triggers, there are a few threads on them. You can use Cowboy Studio or Yongnuo, or the no-name Chinese generics from online stores. Those are really cheap.
07-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Um, what exactly are you talking about?
Like the OP wrote:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax decided to be stupid and not allow it to be a flash controller. What the heck? Every other Pentax digital can do this but the K-01 cant.

Overview of the wireless system here: Wireless - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

QuoteQuote:
The built-in flash on every K-series Pentax dSLR (except the older K100D) can act as a master/control flash even on the low-end K-r/K-x. (Unfortunately, it appears that the K-01 mirrorless camera isn't included.) This means that when I say in this section that a flash can be used as a wireless P-TTL slave, it means you only need that plus your built-in flash else to get this incredibly useful functionality. This is an amazing feature unique to Pentax at the low end. Nikon's i-TTL wireless system is more advanced, but is not available on their low-end cameras or their low-end flashes.
Most recent Pentax digital bodies' built-in flash can act as a flash controller for Pentax's own flashes' wireless protocol (and compatible flashes, such as Metz, etc.). No need for external triggers. If you have a number of Pentax wireless-compatible flashes it's a major annoyances of the K-01 that they left out this feature.

The 3rd party triggers are not that expensive, and necessary of you are firing a bunch of cheap manual non-wireless flashes, but if you've already invested cash into the more expensive recent wireless flashes, then it's annoying to have spend more on triggers and carry around more bits and pieces.

It's especially annoying because the K-01 is such an awesome camera for studio or set-up shooting with its excellent real-time live-view.

What I ended up doing was buying another AF 360 FGZ flash to use as a wireless controller, a bit expensive solution but I don't mind having another flash head to position.

However, if you just want to travel with one flash (or want to use all your flashes off-camera) then looks like the 3rd party triggers are the way to go.

If you don't need P-TTL, only Manual flash, then a number of off-camera flashes will act as dumb slaves and trigger simply from an other flash's flash. Should work with the K-01's built-in flash.

07-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use triggers from Hong Kong for that.