Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #1

JPEG or RAW

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and new to Pentax K-01. I bought it 2 weeks ago mainly for macro shot and product photography (focus peaking is so great!) As for thread title, which of this file type do you usually use when using K-01? Anyone with experience shooting K-01 for product photography?

I plan to use JPEG and later focus stacking, but would like to know what i'm missing if not shot RAW.

Thanks for sharing

07-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #2

Try to read this
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/171037-pentax-k100ds-raw-jpeg.html
07-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by on9ye Quote
Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and new to Pentax K-01. I bought it 2 weeks ago mainly for macro shot and product photography (focus peaking is so great!) As for thread title, which of this file type do you usually use when using K-01? Anyone with experience shooting K-01 for product photography?

I plan to use JPEG and later focus stacking, but would like to know what i'm missing if not shot RAW.

Thanks for sharing
With the K-01 shooting jpegs is probably the way to go in general, since shooting RAW slows the camera to 1 fps. However, if you want to use the full dynamic range of an image, your best chance is to shoot RAW and do post processing. There is just less leeway for editing jpegs.
07-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shoot raw you save more data than you do in jpeg. And you can edit raw files without lowering quality (every time you edit and save the jpeg, you lose some quality, you get more artefacts and fewer colours or bigger file size)
Raw files however have to be interpreted by a raw editor software, like Lightroom, FastStone, Silkypix, Aperture, AfterShot Pro, etc. This software allows you to easily change things like sharpness, contrast, exposure value, white balance, colour calibration, saturation and so on, all the while allowing you to "reset" the image back to original.
Keep in mind that the jpeg is interpreted by the camera itself, too. Thats why jpegs look better than unedited raw files. But you get more control over the raw file, so you can edit it to look better than the jpeg.
Um, for product photography there are some threads here, I think there is a great one on jewellery photography. For that kind of photography you probably want to use raw files and edit the heck out of them.

but if you like how the jpegs look, there is no shame in shooting jpeg. You can also choose jpeg to save space, save time developing the photos, to use burst mode HI,.. there are quite a few pros and cons of raw vs. jpeg threads out there, feel free to read them a little

07-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

In addition to what Na Horuk said JPEG only has a range of 256 tonal values (8bit) where as a 12 bit RAW has a tonal range of 4096 values, 16,384 tones (14bit) and 65,536 (16bit). This means a greater dynamic range in RAW files which will help in post processing images with a lot of contrast or detail in the highlights or shadows.

See also
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/211014-reasons-...lity-jpeg.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/2172...ifference.html
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to only shoot RAW as I really enjoy editing my photos to get the most out of them. I like using Lightroom 4 and the Nik plug-ins.
07-29-2013, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I shoot RAW and don't worry about the reduced FPS because the K-01 is not a fast action/sports/wildlife/active kids camera imho. More of a portrait/landscape/still life camera where you consider your shot in advance of pressing the shutter release.
RAW is always best.
08-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

JPEG, it's faster and the engine on the k-01 is pretty good. you can edit your photos even if it's jpeg.

08-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You state you intend to do focus stacking at some point. Same as with all techniques that involve combining several images into one target image, IMHO the preferred format must be RAW.

Why? Because you want all images in a series to be made with the exact same settings except for focus point. That way they'll combine best.

Prior to submitting the images to the stacking software you can do some post processing, which IMO must limited to two things at most: synchronizing white balance across the shots and if required applying lens corrections:
  • Synchronizing white balance is very difficult on JPEGs. You could of course use a fixed white balance in-camera, but it's very hard to judge the result accurately on the camera's LCD. I always use AutoWB to let the camera give me a first idea from which to start in post-processing. In Lightroom I fine tune the WB on the most representative image in a series en synch that setting across the entire series.
  • If I'm combining images that were shot hand held or stitching together images, I will also apply lens correction on all images (esp to remove aberrations and vignetting, not so much distortion).

Besides, all processing (in-camera and post-) done prior to the combining may introduce slight variations from one image to the next, which may result in less than optimal transitions in the combined image. Best use RAW and minimize the risk by not having any processing (except the two above points) prior to combining the shots. Any post-processing can be done on the combined result.

My two cents worth...

hth, Wim
08-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Shooting RAW gives you more freedom to adjust exposure and white balance during post processing, without introducing artifacts or distortion. I personally don't have the patience for a lot of post processing anymore, and the minor adjustments that I make usually work just fine on a JPEG image. As a result, I rarely shoot RAW. However, everyone's needs are different. I'm glad we have the option.