Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Showing a Multi-media design student my K-01

I was talking to a guy who has just started a multimedia design course here in Wellington and we were talking cameras and how it will be a while before he could afford 2k for a Nikon d7000 with lens. I looked at him and said you don't have to pay that!
I took out my K01.."its got pretty much the same sensor as the d7000 and it cost me $300 kit lens included, it does great video aswell, but be quick as they are selling out now.
His jaw hit the ground and he loved the ergonomics and build, he wasn't fussed on the AF as he would be MF anyway and using the LCD (he comes from a point and shoot and video camera background).
Maybe Pentax should bring out a model for this market sector? (I know its already been heavily discussed)
Maybe re-release it for around the $500 mark with a few tweaks such as liveview out on the HDMI and in video focus peaking aswell as proper audio monitoring. K-01ii and of course - All Black with maybe a 17-70 lens bundled at a cheaper price. Any other key video/multi-media features it needs without a heavy re-working of the design to keep it affordable?
Its amazing how little people know Pentax is even an option out there.

Last edited by Tonto; 07-25-2013 at 03:42 AM.
07-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Its amazing how little people know Pentax is even an option out there.
not with the tragic sales effort we have suffered from for years down here...

Hope you talked him into one, it's a capable camera
Pete
07-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
not with the tragic sales effort we have suffered from for years down here...

Hope you talked him into one, it's a capable camera
Pete
Yeah I couldn't recommend him getting it from any stores here- I think he missed the boat slightly but the K5 and K30s can still be had at awesome prices- like me he was pretty much sold by the feel of it- something Pentax can only achieve if sales consultants/ Brick & Mortor stores are actively behind the brand.
07-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had my K7 on me aswell, I've got ALL my camera gear in one dense Lowepro AW100 sling bag at the moment

07-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well a K-02 with 24 megapixel aps-c sensor would also make a great new camera.
07-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

When (and I say when because I know someone there reads this) they build the k-02 I hope that its everything the k01 was but better. Make it a serious video contender. Run some commercials on youtube and vimeo etc. For S and Gigs make an underwater housing for it like a go-pro. Let the new growing generation of video junkies get their proper fix at the right price and watch pentax make a come back!
07-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To be honest on the video front I think they missed the boat on that one, especially as a few cameras coming out with 4k shooting and ultra high frame rate.
Had the K01 been 'right on' with its video spec it would have made a ripple in the video market and eyes would be on the update, too hard to play catchup and not something Ricoh/Pentax traditionally have done. A quality sub $500 camera that shoots to a high standard in video and stills and made of quality stuff and IS NOT RETRO LOOKING would be a winner.
So stick with the K01 body shape (maybe move the green button ), fix the flap although it doesn't bug me, 24mp sensor, HDMI liveview out, a tilt LCD ala the MX1 and bobs your uncle.
Maybe as a point of difference have it all black, all silver, or all white to make it visually more sophisticated and differentiate it from the previous model. Perhaps bring out a custom color/pattern rubber service for K0x owners!
07-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love a tilt screen and better video. Focus peaking during video would be awesome! Addressing the floppy SD door would be nice as well. I have a feeling that much like the Q, later iterations of the K-01 line will have noticeably lower build quality in order to cut costs which is unfortunate since that is something that I have grown to appreciate on both my K-01 and original Q. All the Canons and Nikons in the same price range feel like toys in comparison.

07-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love a killer K-mount 4K RAW video monster, but I doubt Pentax or Ricoh has that kind of experience in their engineering team. Ricoh needs to buy JVC or other brand with video experience.
08-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian