Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

AE-L locking during filming?

Saw a video on AE-L locking during filming for the k7. Can you do this with the k-01 so the video stops adjusting like in this video? If so, enlighten me on how to do so because I cannot figure it out.

07-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 has manual exposure control in video filming. If your lens has automatic aperture control (A, FA, DA, DFA) then you can go into the "Movie" menu and select "Exposure Setting" to Manual. Then set the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to what you want (usually in M mode) and switch to Movie mode. It should retain those settings and give you what you want.

FYI: you cannot select the aperture (in camera) for really old, or adapted, lenses and therefore the Manual video exposure option is not available, it's always Auto, which adjusts the "gain" (ISO) as you move from different exposure environments.
07-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was playing around with the camera and found that all I needed to do was hold down the AF/AE-L button for a few seconds for it to set itself. Then a star appears on the screen in the bottom left and it seems to lock it into place. I am so happy that I learned how to do this!!! now my videos will get substantially better.

Here is a link to the fist video i've ever made. First time using final cut pro as well. In some parts you can see the video adjusts the iso in parts. Some of the video was taken by my gf as well.
07-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Those are my feet in the clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering, but didn't find it in the K01 yet.

07-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
yea I went through your videos and that video really made me think. On the k-01 I found how the feature works but it is a bit odd. I found that you need to first start recording, once it is recording then you must hold the af/ae-l button for aprox 3 seconds. You will notice the camera refocuses (if you have an AF lens at least) and then a star will appear at the bottom left hand side of the screen. Once that star appears the camera will save that setting and no longer adjust for exposure or iso and you will maintain the setting from that point on or until you hold the button down again.

Only downside is that you cannot set it before you record, you must start recording and then set it but hey it works and although it may take a few seconds it really helps for making great videos.
07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
now if only I can figure out how to make it so that button just sets the ae-l and does not try to refocus...
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
This feature did not work with my manual focus rokinon lens... damn!

07-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Banned

Not working overhere!
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
It must have to do with this setting. I changed a few to find out how to toggle it. Here you go

07-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by glealisla Quote
It must have to do with this setting. I changed a few to find out how to toggle it. Here you go

Pentax k-01 video exposure lock ae-l - YouTube
And I thought that I knew all settings!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for a wise lesson, that would have helped in a few times.

One extra tip, when you do this before starting the recording, hold the button until the star is there and press the startbutton you will start with the locked light settings and they are firm. Also adjusting the EV compensation doesn't work.

In that way you can also use it for other settings and stills.

Thank you!
07-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
It seems that this ONLY works with auto focus lenses and when you have your video settings placed on M. I cannot duplicate with my rokinon manual focus lens or dont know how.
07-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I figured it out, and now I can use my manual lenses without the worry of the exposure changing during video (Necessary if you want to make good videos which is why I bought the k-01) I am going to make a video of the process and post it here shortly.
07-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
There are different ways to take video on the k-01 one with the dial on movie mode, and the other by choosing the red button to toggle video. I had read in previous video threads here to select my iso, aperture, and shutter speed in M and record from that which is what I have been doing since by simply hitting the red button. The problem with filming in manual is that it continues to adjust the exposure.

All that you need to do is set your dial to movie. Once set you can select your 3 peramiters and boom they are set and wont adjust regardless of auto focus or manual focus!
I am so glad that I payed with this today since I bought the samyang 16mm 2.0 for video and now I can use it properly.

Here is a video of the 2 different methods to video with your k-01 first the wrong way as I have been doing for months, and second the correct way.

08-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
mbp

Photos: Albums
Thank you, glealisla for your awesome contribution. However, I'll throw my two cents into the mix:
-Seeing from your k01 screen from the above video, I will presume that you are using the Samyang 16mm PK mount, since the camera gives you an option to change the lens aperture (in camera) by using the dial.
The problem arises when one tries the old M42 lenses with PK adapters, the k01 just does not read the lens aperture and therefore the camera continuously auto adjusts the exposure.
One can overcome this by locking the exposure (AE-L) the way you showed in your previous video; this can soon be a hassle, specially when filming under difficult/dynamic lighting conditions.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think there is a full "manual" option for using M42 lenses...
08-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
With manual focus lenses,

set the dial to video mode
Now manually input all the variables

Select a shutter speed for the video double that of the frame rate that you choose in the video section of the menu display. If you chose 30fps then 1/60 for shutter speed.
Set your desired aperture
Set your iso to a fixed iso and do not leave it on auto
Also set the white balance and do not leave it on auto

Once you've input these options the exposure will stay set to what you have chosen