Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K01 vs GR

Is there anyone that has both cameras that can comment on how they handle. I find that while the K01 has great IQ, the handling is not ideal for me. The shutter lag and small buffer limit its appeal such that I hardly use it. The GR looks appealing as a street camera but seems hard to get in Canada.

Dale

07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Is there anyone that has both cameras that can comment on how they handle. I find that while the K01 has great IQ, the handling is not ideal for me. The shutter lag and small buffer limit its appeal such that I hardly use it. The GR looks appealing as a street camera but seems hard to get in Canada.

Dale
The GR is hard to get anywhere at this point, for some reason. They must not be making enough of them...

Anyway, the GR is about 1/3 the size of the K-01, and for that reason it's easier to hold & carry around. It also has a speedier processor. On the other hand, its 18mm lens, while very sharp and all, can be seen as a limiting factor. The K-01 can be used with thousands of K-mount lenses, giving you the flexibility to use whatever focal length you need. The GR, on the other hand, is a bit wide for some applications.

Don't miss our GR review:
Ricoh GR vs. Nikon Coolpix A Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #3

hello. so I have both k01 and new gr. I also have had film gr1s and gr2. the handling and customizing functions on the gr are the best there is in any camera I have used.it does fit in the front of my jeans pocket. i have used it at a concert by setting focus to 5 meters and going to the front of the stage. it was so dark that I had to use iso 6400 and the pictures came out good.i have many others cameras including Olympus epl5, Panasonic g5 , sony nex 5 , canon sl1 and a Nikon d3. so all these cameras produce very good image quality. any camera in the past 2 years has very little difference in image quality. ok back to handling is where each camera is different. the k01 has the same or better image quality than the gr .I find like the k01 with 15mm lens better.the only difference is the ability to change lenses with the k01 and the pocketability of the gr. the gr is easy to pre-order and wait or I have seen a couple of used ones on craigslist. I hope this help out
07-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks Tommy for the information.

Dale

07-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

hello. so what I forgot to mention is the 28mm lens. if you can live with it always at 28mm it is great. it is a very good camera to take with when you do not want to lug around a bigger camera. but the real question would be is it worth $800 . if you only took one camera on a trip what would it be? we have to many options these days that are very good. if you get a chance to handle the gr you will own it .