Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pics of K-01 with D-FA 100mm or Tamron 90mm F/2.8?

Hi all,

So I've begun shopping for a macro lens in the 90-105mm range, and started reading the many threads comparing the strengths and weaknesses (but mostly strengths) of the D-FA 100mm (non-WR), the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 and the Tamron 90mm F/2.8. All these lenses are highly regarded, and I'm sure that any of them would make a fine addition to my lens line-up.

However, what I don't know is: which one looks the best on the K-01?

I've already seen the Sigma 105mm - for example on this page:

Or in the "Let's see your new K-01" thread, the lobster/scorpion combo:

But what does the K-01 look like with the Pentax or Tamron lenses? I've been able to find pics taken with those lenses, but not pics of those lenses on the K-01. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

ps: Yeah, I'm sure the D-FA 100mm WR looks even more kickass on the K-01 than any of these, but I don't need WR and it's much more expensive...

08-12-2013, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I've got the Tammy 90 f/2.8, will grab some shots of it + K-01 in a few minutes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79318130@N06/sets/72157635051349162/

Last edited by Julie; 08-12-2013 at 08:17 PM.
08-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Julie. Looks quite good!

08-13-2013, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is what a Pentax 100MM Macro WR look like on a black/silver K-01

08-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my Pentax DFA 100mm Macro WR. Did a lot of research before biting the bullet and the few people I had the privilege of conversing with who were heavy into macro photography all said that both the Tamron 90 and the Pentax DFA 100mm Macro WR were the top lenses and noticeably better than the Sigma offerings. Of the people who owned both the Tammy and the Penty-Wenty the majority seemed to slightly prefer the Pentax. In my estimation though it's hard to go wrong either way.
08-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. So no one has a K-01 with the non-WR D-FA 100mm?

The choice is pretty hard, and it's a lot of money (for me). All three lenses have their die-hards. Tests I've seen actually seem to favor the Sigma, with the Tamron super sharp but somewhat vulnerable to CA, the Pentax not as sharp wide-open, and the sigma testing just generally fantastic. But we're splitting hairs and all three lenses are excellent, according to just about any and everybody. The Pentax is super light, which is a big plus, but difficult to find (and the WR version is too expensive). The extra 15mm of the Sigma over the Tamron seem significant. But the Tamron is the least expensive. I'd buy a MF macro, but they seem to be just as much (or more!) money these days, so what's the point?

BTW, am I right in thinking that the hood on the Pentax goes onto the lens body, and not on the part that extends when you focus? Meaning that as you focus closer and closer, and the lens extends itself, the hood itself doesn't move forward, right?
08-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Thanks all. So no one has a K-01 with the non-WR D-FA 100mm?

The choice is pretty hard, and it's a lot of money (for me). All three lenses have their die-hards. Tests I've seen actually seem to favor the Sigma, with the Tamron super sharp but somewhat vulnerable to CA, the Pentax not as sharp wide-open, and the sigma testing just generally fantastic. But we're splitting hairs and all three lenses are excellent, according to just about any and everybody. The Pentax is super light, which is a big plus, but difficult to find (and the WR version is too expensive). The extra 15mm of the Sigma over the Tamron seem significant. But the Tamron is the least expensive. I'd buy a MF macro, but they seem to be just as much (or more!) money these days, so what's the point?

BTW, am I right in thinking that the hood on the Pentax goes onto the lens body, and not on the part that extends when you focus? Meaning that as you focus closer and closer, and the lens extends itself, the hood itself doesn't move forward, right?
If you had the funds, the 100 macro WR is awfully nice, but I would go with the Tamron otherwise. It is plenty sharp and will be as nice as the non sealed 100 macro from Pentax (non sealed).

Benefits of the 100 macro WR are its build, small size, quick shift and weather sealing, but since that is out of the question, I'd go with the Tamron.
08-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're considering Pentax, I'd look at the FA version, not the DFA one. The FA has a metal build (not plastic), and it has a focus limiter, which really helps autofocus speed. Neither the D-FA nor the D-FA-WR have a limiter. All three versions are optically identical. KEH has three of them now for less then $400:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Autofocus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-AP06999034344K?r=FE

The front element on the Pentax is recessed far into the body. The whole front assembly of the lens moves forward when focusing, so the front element stays the same distance away from the front of the lens.

I can take a picture of it on a K-01 for you this afternoon.

08-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here ya go. Considering the autofocus speed on the K-01, the focus limiter really comes in handy on this lens. I'll let you judge the aesthetics for yourself.

08-14-2013, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, this is correct about the hood. On the D FA WR version, it does attach to the lens body and stays fixed as the optical elements of the lens move in and out to focus inside the hood, which remains fixed to the body.

Last edited by fotogaffer; 08-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
08-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Here ya go. [...]
Thanks for the pic scratchpaddy, but that lens weighs in at 600g! I think 450g is about the top of what is reasonable to hang in front of a K-01, personally. And I expect to mostly shoot MF anyway.

So no pics of the D-FA (non-WR) with the K-01... Bummer. I was all set to rectify that, but an unexpected good deal popped up that I just couldn't resist. Pictures next week, hopefully...
08-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pic scratchpaddy, but that lens weighs in at 600g! I think 450g is about the top of what is reasonable to hang in front of a K-01, personally. And I expect to mostly shoot MF anyway.

So no pics of the D-FA (non-WR) with the K-01... Bummer. I was all set to rectify that, but an unexpected good deal popped up that I just couldn't resist. Pictures next week, hopefully...
Congrats on the purchase, then! Yes, the FA is quite heavy. I've heard it compared to a can of soup. The autofocus comes in handy when using it as a portrait lens (and it's very good at this), but, as you said, isn't that useful for macro. I'm sure you'll love the D-FA.
08-15-2013, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, it's not the D-FA. Alright, I'll sell the punch... Adorama had a used Tamron SP Di 90mm F/2.8 listed at $299 for the last week (at least). Today I hit the page to see if it had sold. Not only had it not, but it was now listed at $259! I jumped on it as fast as I could. It's described as "E" or excellent shape. I hope that's accurate and that it's a good copy. Pics next week, I hope!

And, I just discovered that the optics on the cheap Makinon "No.1" 2x teleconverter (that I got for next to nothing on Ebay) can be unscrewed! Ah, the small pleasures of life. This teleconverter wasn't giving me good results, but by using it as just an extension tube, I'll be able to break 1:1 using my 50mm F/4 macro! In fact, I just tested and I get a 16mm wide image on the sensor, or 1.48:1. Yeah!

08-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice price for that Tamron! I paid 500 for my Pentax DFA.
08-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank LeRolls! Yeah, $500 was about the cheapest that I saw the D-FA WR, even used. Maybe $480... I've seen the D-FA non-WR for low 300s, though, and that was mighty tempting. And I need an aperture ring! The Sigma also seems to be findable in the low 300s. There's something a little intimidating about ordering a lens direct from Japan or Korea though, even from a seller with a good reputation... BTW, there's a Canada-based eBay retailer that sells the Tamron, brand new, for $US388. That's also pretty good deal, and Tamron in Canada offers a 6-year warranty, I think. But at under $300 total in my hand from Adorama, provided it's a good one, I'll be very happy with my used copy.