Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Tom -- good point about the tripod. That's where the K-01 shines... particularly with the Hoodman loupe gaffer-taped on... you can really take your time and preview the picture.

08-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
......the INSTANT ability to shoot video, is also a wonderful feature.
It would be wonderful if the video it produced was just as wonderful...but it just ain't - (the Q produces better video).

QuoteQuote:
What feature does it have -- relative to the DSLRs -- that I would miss if I sell it?
IMHO, none.

The K-01 to me is a good at being an APS-C 'snapshot' camera that can use K-mount lenses.
It's also good for *tripod work indoors, for macros/reverse lens work on a tripod and can produce nicer colours than my K-7.
But, it's crap out in bright sun without a loupe, it's crap with long lenses and AF is rubbish compared to a dSLR.
It should have had a flip-up screen like the MX-1 (at least)
It's noisy, the shutter 'chop' sound it horrid to my ear and it's AE hunting while I'm holding the camera annoys the heck out of me so I have to make sure to remember to keep AE locked until I'm ready to meter a shot. *Oh and the lack of a cable release port is plain stupid.
Like most people, I bought one because the price dropped to something affordable to justify my curiosity and well, it's a PENTAX (sort of).

Would I sell mine? If the opportunity arose, yes probably. If the K-30 dropped to below AUD$400 I'd seriously consider making the change.
Though I'm really waiting to see if a (Ricoh) K-3 appears. Then I'd probably think about selling the K-7 and the K-01, just keep the K-3 and the Q.

QuoteQuote:
what were its unique selling points when it first was introduced?
A designer designed brickcam aimed at hipstographers that would sell more PENTAX K-mount lenses.
08-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what don't you like about it?

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
It would be wonderful if the video it produced was just as wonderful...but it just ain't - (the Q produces better video).

IMHO, none.

The K-01 to me is a good at being an APS-C 'snapshot' camera that can use K-mount lenses.
It's also good for *tripod work indoors, for macros/reverse lens work on a tripod and can produce nicer colours than my K-7.
But, it's crap out in bright sun without a loupe, it's crap with long lenses and AF is rubbish compared to a dSLR.
It should have had a flip-up screen like the MX-1 (at least)
It's noisy, the shutter 'chop' sound it horrid to my ear and it's AE hunting while I'm holding the camera annoys the heck out of me so I have to make sure to remember to keep AE locked until I'm ready to meter a shot. *Oh and the lack of a cable release port is plain stupid.
Like most people, I bought one because the price dropped to something affordable to justify my curiosity and well, it's a PENTAX (sort of).

Would I sell mine? If the opportunity arose, yes probably. If the K-30 dropped to below AUD$400 I'd seriously consider making the change.
Though I'm really waiting to see if a (Ricoh) K-3 appears. Then I'd probably think about selling the K-7 and the K-01, just keep the K-3 and the Q.

A designer designed brickcam aimed at hipstographers that would sell more PENTAX K-mount lenses.
08-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #19

I too bought my K01 because of the price and like Lauren use it as a second camera. Personally I would never use my 55-300 on it, long lenses need a proper viewfinder. I use the K01 with my Limiteds and the 21 most of the time. It is less obtrusive and has great IQ. I use it a lot more than I thought and frankly would not sell it.

08-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I glad I'm wrote "think."
I could be wrong! Honestly! I'm not 100% either.
08-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Simple answer to the OP's question,..

Because if you're already asking that question, then your gut is telling you you'll regret selling it.
08-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What differentiates it from DSLRs:
a) looks - the Newson design
b) small, compact, but still solid build. And sensor that rivals the K-30, K-5, nikon D7000,... (well, its basically the same sensor, with some tweaks, if I remember right)
c) mirrorless - Pentax originally planned on making many XS lenses, and some would actually protrude into the camera body. DSLRs wouldnt allow that, but mirrorless could, But right now, I dont think Pentax has any plans on making more XS lenses, so this is a moot point.
d) experiment with video features (video processor engine), focus peaking, weak AA filter (some tests show the K-01 produces sharper photos than the original K-5), liveview-only, CD AF (the firmware update improves this a lot)

I think this camera was mostly an experiment (point d) to test many new features, that would later make it into other cameras (K-30, K-5IIs). I understand that a K-01 might seem redundant if you have the newer K-30, because the K-30 basically has everything the K-01 does, except for its size/appearance. But Im sure someone will be happy to buy the K-01 from you

And a point about AF: true, the K-01's CD AF cannot rival PD AF, especially with slower lenses. But you can use MF and other techniques to compensate.

Edit: Reason why I got a K-01 was because it was on a great sale, and it compliments my K-r very well. It is lighter to carry and produces better IQ than the K-r, but I still use the K-r when I absolutely need OVF or PD AF.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-14-2013 at 09:21 AM.
08-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #23
Forum Member

I'm not in love with my K-01 but there are some aspects I really like about it. One good reason to keep it is that it makes a very good M42 camera.
Removing the M42 adapter from the K mount is a fiddly process involving either a special tool or broken fingernails and I'd rather just leave it in.
As everyone knows, there are some great prime lenses with superb bokeh available in the M42 mount that cost like a couple of dinners at McDonalds.

08-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
what were its unique selling points when it first was introduced? Not counting the Marc Newson styling, which I like, but isn't really a reason to buy a camera.
Wow that was one key future

I think all other technics are in K-30/K-50.