Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #16

Did you get the power cord for the charger?

09-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #17

I received the ordered battery from Amazon today. Its not the original one. After charging(about 2 hours) I could start the initial settings process.
First I had to choose the language. I was surprised that I could only chosse between Japanese and English.
I thought that I perhaps could select German in the menue later. But still only two languages. No real problem.

@rmalbers Yes I got a powercord but its a japanese version. No problem I use the powercord of my Q.

@ mamethot The firmare is 1.0. I'll install the newest firmware tomorrow. And I will pobably check the manufacture date tomorrow as Doundounba described.

@Mr dodgy I finally got an answer from the shop today. The japanese customs opened the package and removed the battery because it is not allowed to
send Lithium Ionen batteries via airplane to the destination country(Germany) as they explained.
The battery has been sent back to the store and they will rebate 55 Euros, exactly what I have to pay at Amazon.de.

So at last everything is fine and I'm happy that I ordered the smurf in Japan.
09-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The deal is pretty fair, IMHO!

I was curious to know the firmware as it could give indication on build date.

Thanks for the infos! Enjoy your smurf

QuoteOriginally posted by Kepler Quote
The battery has been sent back to the store and they will rebate 55 Euros, exactly what I have to pay at Amazon.de.
09-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few months back, someone had an Asian-market K-01 that only had English, Japanese, Chinese and Korean, but needed Italian. I think they contacted the local Pentax service center to get it loaded with the European firmware (sub-firmware? BIOS? Whatever you would call it.)

I'd heard somewhere that it was difficult getting cameras with Li-Ion batteries via air-mail from Japan. I thought that might be what happened to yours. I did read the rules changed in 2013 to allow Li-Ion batteries if they are installed in the device. Perhaps that only means small devices like phones.

Enjoy your Smurf!

09-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #20

Thank you mamethot.

One thing I forgot to mention, as expected the manual is a japanese one. Not really helpful. I will download the english one.
Besides this I contacted Pentax Germany and asked if they can send me a german or english version.
09-05-2013, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #21

The manufacture date: 2013:06:20
Shutter count: 2

It was my second Photo taken, so shutter count and date are correct.
09-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kepler Quote
The manufacture date: 2013:06:20
Shutter count: 2

It was my second Photo taken, so shutter count and date are correct.
Great, so they run a new batch off K-01 from the productionline.

09-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for posting, Kepler! I must say I'm surprised that they produced a new batch. This lends credence to the reports that the camera was actually a (moderate) success for Pentax, err, Ricoh.
09-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #24

They probably had enough parts on hand to run some more thru assembly.
09-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear Pentax ran another batch of K-01. Gives hope there could be more some day. Good job Pentax.

Strange that the Japanese cams only have a few languages. My USA model has many more choices. Since they had to do all the extra work for US models, wonder why they do the home model differently? Can't see how it would save them any time or money.
thanks
barondla
09-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I must say I'm surprised that they produced a new batch.
I'm surprised too. The official price of the blue camera+40XS is 49,800 yen, discounted to 44,800 at most places. That is what the other models sold for towards the end of their availability. So, if they were prepared to make a new batch to sell at that price, it implies to me that they were making an acceptable profit on it, evem at the 'fire sale' price.
09-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #27

Why wouldn't they just use up all the parts they have warehoused, they have nothing to lose, if they can get rid of all the parts inventory it's a no brainer. It's really pretty smart of them, unique/fashionable camera in a market that buys that type of thing, Japan. I wouldn't bet on any 'profit' but it's better than throwing/recycling unused parts.