Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okie, so I was at a consumer event Sunday afternoon, just days after flashing the firmware update minutes after it was released,...

The local Pentax rep let me try out the 'kit' 40mm, which I ran on AF, with face detection.
Frankly, anyone who complains that the K-01 AF is slow, is thoroughly deceiving themselves.
It was nearly Instant AF IMHO.

Yes, I was a touch stunned.

I think some of the Rep's were surprised to meet a 'proud K-01 owner', or that I was miffed at having to wait till November for the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 to hit the shelves in local stores.

09-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Frankly, anyone who complains that the K-01 AF is slow, is thoroughly deceiving themselves.
It was nearly Instant AF IMHO.
I love my K-01. But it's very slow compared to my NEX-5R. AF is slower even with the 40mm XS, shutter lag is worse, writing time to memory card is much worse. And I'm not talking about PDAF on the NEX - I'm using Sigma 30mm which only does CDAF.
Besides the awesome look and feel (gosh I still love holding that chunky thing, much better feel than the seemingly flimsy NEX), the K-01 doesn't have a lot going for it. I didn't perceive any change with latest firmware either, but I don't own any limited.
09-17-2013, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
It’s either a placebo effect or the focusing on the K-01 has improved quite significantly with the latest firmware. I haven’t done any extensive testing – yet, but at least with the DA 35mm f2.4 indoor, in difficult lighting situation the camera seem to focus quicker, less hunting and improved accuracy.
Same effect with DA40XS, compared on two bodies.
Definitely no placebo.
09-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #19

After the update my K01 works with my EM140 DG Sigma Ring-flash (what it didn`t before)

Klaus-takes-Pictures - The Blog: #Pentax #K01 #Firmware update solves #Sigma #Ring-flash issue

09-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did the update and did some shooting, but didn't pay any attention to differences. It still makes great images as before.
09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
HTR

Photos: Albums
Is the shot to shot wait time still as before?
09-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It still makes great images as before.
I'd count that as user's fault I don't see any change in AF speed at low light. I'll have to test it daytime tomorrow to see if there's any improvement.
10-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Something I noticed today, after reviewing some footage shot in Melbourne at around 10pm, with cars going past from the sides of the frame, as the lens was pointed up towards oncoming traffic,.. Was that I didn't see any of the Macro Blocking I used to get for fast motion.
I'll test further, but I'm hoping there's been more tweaks to the CoDec processing, and that the write speed of the SD controller has been improved.

It was suggested to me by the local importers rep,. to use UHS-1 cards instead of Class 10 only, as the UHS-1 SD cards have a higher Sustained data through-put.

10-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter

The hardware would have to support UHS-1, which is not the case AFAIK (tried to locate the info but couldn't).
10-07-2013, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That would be to work as UHS-1 modes, but UHS compliant cards are backwards compatible with older SD/SDXC controllers (part of the formats standard).

The data rate that the card can sustain is a function of the quality and technology of the chips inside, not just the controller type.
I'd go so far as to say the difference in controller type is more influential on the Peak data rate, or the Burst Rate.

The difference between Burst (or Peak) Data Rate and Sustained Data Rate, is one of those dirty little secrets of technology.
IDE UDMA drives used to peak at 133Mbytes per second, but Sustain about 30 to 40 MBytes per second.
SATA 1.0 drives were quoted as 1500Mbytes/sec, but still only Sustained a slightly higher data rate then the IDE drives they were replacing.
Even now, SSD's running on SATA 3.0 have a Peak Data Rate quoted at 6Gbytes per second, but they don't Sustain a data rate anywhere near that high.
10-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another wrinkle maybe,.. Anyone tried the HDMI output since the firmware update?

I tried it first day, and no change -> Switched to playback only.
Thought I'd review some footage tonight, direct from camera to monitor, and nothing.
Monitor looses the standard blue background for black, but camera does not switch to playback, Camera does not send anything to the Monitor.

Possible fault?
Leaving the battery out for an hour before retry, after having tried plugging/unplugging, off and on.

EDIT: Okie, my bad, seems the K-01 didn't like something about the connection to the monitor, and works as advertised when the same cable is connected to an extender and a regular sized plug cable goes to the monitor. Go Figure.

Have also noted, the sensor noise in video seems a lot nicer in dark scenes when played back from SD on PC, more like Film then before..

EDIT: Comparing v1.03 footage to v1.04 footage, in low light, the soft vision in the Bokeh areas definitely looks better - it looks to my like a Random Number Generator is being used to dither the incoming vision in out-of-focus areas. I had noticed very small banding errors before, they're gone, and I haven't seen any fast motion Macro Blocking like I use to.

If only they'd turn on HDMI cleanfeed out during recording, and up the data-rate in the video files, this camera would go from suprising CanNikon users, to making them regret the $$$ they spend on 5D's and L-Series glass.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 10-07-2013 at 09:59 PM.
10-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Another wrinkle maybe,.. Anyone tried the HDMI output since the firmware update?

I tried it first day, and no change -> Switched to playback only.
Thought I'd review some footage tonight, direct from camera to monitor, and nothing.
Monitor looses the standard blue background for black, but camera does not switch to playback, Camera does not send anything to the Monitor.

Possible fault?
Leaving the battery out for an hour before retry, after having tried plugging/unplugging, off and on.

EDIT: Okie, my bad, seems the K-01 didn't like something about the connection to the monitor, and works as advertised when the same cable is connected to an extender and a regular sized plug cable goes to the monitor. Go Figure.

Have also noted, the sensor noise in video seems a lot nicer in dark scenes when played back from SD on PC, more like Film then before..

EDIT: Comparing v1.03 footage to v1.04 footage, in low light, the soft vision in the Bokeh areas definitely looks better - it looks to my like a Random Number Generator is being used to dither the incoming vision in out-of-focus areas. I had noticed very small banding errors before, they're gone, and I haven't seen any fast motion Macro Blocking like I use to.

If only they'd turn on HDMI cleanfeed out during recording, and up the data-rate in the video files, this camera would go from suprising CanNikon users, to making them regret the $$$ they spend on 5D's and L-Series glass.
Interesting find, and a bit surprising. Do you sense the variable bit rate has been slightly increased? I had assumed that most of the issues remaining (after turning off the poor video IS implementation) was mostly a matter of not pushing through enough data. I also assumed that there was concern regarding the buffer handling a higher bit rate. If they played with the video, you also wonder if they might have addressed the very annoying AGC boost in noise floor among the other audio concerns.
10-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm seeing the exact same data-rate as before when I load the .mov's in to Quicktime Player and pull up the Movie Inspector.
This is what lead me to think that there's something else being done in the way of dithering.
I'd still like to see the Data Rate pumped up a lot higher, as the resulting lower compression would improve fine details in peoples faces sharper, without the edge distortion that turning up the Sharpness control does.

The buffer is 128MBytes, the current data rate is 20Mbits, so the buffer is 50 times the size of the amount of data used per second - effectively, the buffer could hold just under a minutes video data before having to write to the card using the current CoDec.
Admittedly, a portion of the buffer will be reserved to hold data while waiting for the card to accept it, but Class 10 means minimum 10MBytes/sec, which is 80Mbits/sec. So any genuine Class10 card should be able to sustain 40 or 50 Mbit/s without any issues, and the Sandisk/Sony/etc cards that claim 30MBytes/sec have a massive amount of data through-put head room, let alone those that claim 60MBytes/sec or more.
I'd be happy to be told that I have to use 'premium' quality SD Cards if it meant I could have a much higher data rate.

Yes, the AGC in the Audio is a pain.
When we have set manual audio input levels, AGC should be set OFF.
I haven't recorded in a loud environment since updating the firmware, so I don't know if the AGC has been sorted yet or not.
The Noise floor is hard to judge while the audio is limited to 32kHz sample rate. Like the video side, the audio needs to be lifted, minimum 44.1kHz, preferably 48kHz sample rate.

I don't think the IS is necessarily 'Poor'. It's done following a technique that has been used very successfully in video camera's for about a decade, BUT,.. Those video camera's were always CCD based devices with Global Shutters.
The Jello Look being introduced is a direct result of using the same technique on a camera with a Rolling Shutter.
For me that's not a big issue, I shoot most of my video on a Tripod, or using a camera rig that keeps things smooth.

If people need to shoot hand-held, remember to tuck the elbows in to the side of the chest, and pan from the hips.
10-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Very good clarifications to the issues I had raised. Good to know that the buffer can handle it - hadn't gone through the calculations. Perhaps the issue is the sensor design itself which clearly is optimised for the stills side of it.

In any event, the low bit rate surely is a big part of the video problem. The video is adequate if you aren't dealing with a lot of action in the frame (no matter how steady the camera itself is held). Good, faster lenses seem to make a big difference. You wouldn't think that given that we are dealing with only 2k frames, but it does make a big difference.

The audio just doesn't make sense to me - how hard would it be to get to CD quality with a firmware change? As it stands now, you have roll off starting at well under 10k. And, really, it would be great to be able to turn off AGC. In most ways, I think the audio deficiencies are more glaring than the video.
10-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #30
mbp

Photos: Albums
Hey, PiDicus Rex. Is there any chance Pentax will release another firmware update if we make a "V1.05 wishlist" thread?
:-)