Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jim: Still Optimized,... maybe, it does do rather well don't it.

MDP: I was thinking of re-naming the 1.04 thread to 1.04 AND 1.05.

I just love that we can do this, and send feedback through the local distributors, and then have the Engineers that designed and built that camera do the 'user requested hacks', rather then having what the Canon fanboys have to do, which is get Magic Lantern to hack the camera because Canon doesn't listen to their customers.

Well Done Pentax-Ricoh!!

10-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #32

I'd rather have the Magic Lantern and hack it myself. Don't understand why these damn buttons cannot be fully customizable.
10-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Magic Lantern?
Shut up and take my money!
10-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
First up, the biggy. YES!!! The ISO no longer changes when a K-M lens or a K-A lens in Manual Iris positions is used
ok, you noticed as well. i only noticed just now... should read more posts... But this is great. it makes my collection of M lenses going from rarely used to "will use them all the time now"
can't express how important this is for someone into video!
My fear was that the K3 may have the similar issue. now we know it won't..

11-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Video examples from PiDiscus Rex?

To PiDicus Rex - I have been following your threads/replies.

Do you have any video examples that you shot with the K-01 posted anywhere?

Thanks
Tom
11-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll be posting up two short films shot on my K-01 that I've been DoP for, once they have completed post production, one was done with firmware 1.03, the most recent ( That we have one more nights filming to complete ) has been done with v1.04.

Till then, here's two samples, first, a quick muck-about one afternoon while waiting for it to get dark for another film, shot and edited in less then an hour.
https://vimeo.com/71766355

And then, an afternoons shoot for a friend of a friend for a local council submission, done about 2 weeks after I bought my K-01, and the payment for which bought my first AF lens, which is pretty much only pulled out for sports or TV shoots.

If you search facebook for my user name here, you might be able to look up some of my photo's for the Indie SciFi Feature "Red, White, & Bluey."
11-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't edit or colour correct this one, and it's mixed between my K-01 and a Canon 550D.
The editor complained the K-01 footage was 'too bright',... he's too used to the Canon footage and I need to teach him how to read waveform displays.

Mandy got her 'dream job' as cabaret singer on a cruise ship with that video.

11-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks PiDicus Rex

I will look for your films.

By the way - here is a link to my son's K-01 project we did last spring. I was his "production assistant" on it. Accidently left the shake reduction on for a few shots. Live and learn.

tom
11-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll check it out.

There's a Vimeo group dedicated to the K-01 as well.
11-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom: Nice, I enjoyed that.
Love some of the angles, dolly work is nice and smooth, spotted the reflections in the windows, of what looks to be the work-lights bounced off the roof in the kitchen.

Notice how the world outside the windows looks very blue compared to in doors? That's the white balance difference between indoor lights and sunlight - Check out the Lee 'Production' Gels kit, you can use what's called 'CTB' to make an incandescent light have the output of day light for scenes like that. The Lee kit is pretty cheap too, and comes with diffusers and coloured gels.

I think it's edited a bit long - try watching with the sound off, and see how you 'feel' the pacing, whether there's enough going on to keep the viewers attention.

You got two things in there that go down well here,... at K-01 and a Jeep - My brother works for the Australian arm of Chrysler-Fiat.

That last slow dolly back from the house is a thing of beauty.
Check out the dolly in, in the second scene of this one, which I did for tropfest a while back, with a Panasonic HPX-502.

11-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks PiDicus Rex

Thanks for the critique. I will pass a link to your post to my son. It was his total idea. I just helped as his assistant (his younger brother was the actor). My son did a quick story board a few days before we headed out to the cabin. Carted our home-made gear and this was a one day shoot at the cabin. Those last indoor scenes were late in the day. Noted on the color balance gels for the outside. There is also a way to fix that color cast in Final Cut Pro X (my editor) but as indicated, my son used his Windows PC and Vegas Studio to edit. I have since puchased daylight balanced studio lights too.

This was my son's first video with a K-01. He has since improved and has a better understanding of its operation (i.e turn off shake reduction and turn down contrast/color). Looking foward to firmware 1.04 update.

The dolly was a home-made device using a Manfroto tripod mounted on pvc pipes and roller-blade wheels rolling on 2-inch pvc pipes as a track. I think that last shot of the cabin was not on a dolly, but my son used a Pentax A 70-210 4.0 lens and pull zoomed it. That was a nice zoom in your 2nd scene.

We left a pvc pipe on the kitchen island and did not have time to re-shoot that shot.

It was a fun day project with my 2 sons.

I will take a closer look at your video when i get a moment.
Best regards, tom
11-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 1.04 firmware is definitely worth installing.

I know of quite a few Dolly's built like that - damn cheap and damn smooth.

If you've got daylight globes, they will be getting a heap of use
I'm happy with a set of Redheads, and with worklight floods fitted with 3200K globes to match the Redheads.

There's no Zoom in the second scene of mine - Camera on the end of a Jib arm on a Tripod, with the Tripod mounted to the Dolly, so I could dolly in, over the top of the furniture, with a mate keeping the jib steady and me racking focus the whole way.