Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Holycow, that looks otherworldly.

10-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Holycow, that looks otherworldly.
Things started looking more interesting after an hour. Same willow from other side of pond. Green leaves go white, green water goes black. Interesting stuff. Maybe this one gives a better idea of how the 720um IR treats the world (after a red-blue channel swap for the sky).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
10-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Awesome, looks like it was worth it, right? Looks like a world made of ice and porcelain
10-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Things started looking more interesting after an hour. Same willow from other side of pond. Green leaves go white, green water goes black. Interesting stuff. Maybe this one gives a better idea of how the 720um IR treats the world (after a red-blue channel swap for the sky).
Could we see a jpg that is straight from the camera how that looks?

Can you do such things also in lightroom or is cs5 needed?

Looks great.

10-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Looks great.

Sure, original and copy with red-blue channels swapped shown below.

Could I do the same in software?? Not a chance but you might. So much of the effect depends on having white balance set manually one time and the angle to the sun since the sky can come out black or muddy brown. By adding higher value screw on filters (850um, 950um) you can decrease more of the red component and have very high contrast monochrome. I am making shots I find interesting that I can not do in my CS6...for lack of ability mostly. Using the K-01 for this instead of the k-20D means the live view gives me ability to just shoot like normal. So far, this is a real hoot!

Last comment, I have seen shots where the visible light shows mostly haze but the IR cuts right through and shows the objects clearly that were invisible in the haze.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
10-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Looks great.
Coincidently my new converted IR body is the yellow K-01 as shown in RONHENDRICKS signature.
10-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

can you do this to a k10d?
10-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
can you do this to a k10d?

I am sure it can be done but you need to check with the sites that do it for confirmation of price and the good, bad and ugly of using the K10d.

10-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

cool thank you I will do some digging on it see what I can find I'm sure you can do it.
11-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #25

Original Poster
I think that I'm selling my 720-modded K-01 now, it's amazing but not using it as much as I would like.
11-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This... tempting...
11-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanDwyer Quote
I think that I'm selling my 720-modded K-01 now, it's amazing but not using it as much as I would like.

That's too bad, you ought to reconsider...yes IR only cameras are very specialized and consequently won't get used as much. I just discovered this thread and coincidentally had discussed with Isaac a couple of months ago after seeing his store front on ebay about converting one of my K01s. I've just been waiting for a little xtra cash and should be getting this done in a about a month or so. However I am glad to see that the results turned out so well. I have been wanting to experiment with an IR camera for several years and I think the timing is now right since the K01 seems to be well suited for this type of conversion.
11-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
That's too bad, you ought to reconsider...yes IR only cameras are very specialized and consequently won't get used as much. I just discovered this thread and coincidentally had discussed with Isaac a couple of months ago after seeing his store front on ebay about converting one of my K01s. I've just been waiting for a little xtra cash and should be getting this done in a about a month or so. However I am glad to see that the results turned out so well. I have been wanting to experiment with an IR camera for several years and I think the timing is now right since the K01 seems to be well suited for this type of conversion.
Still mulling it over... might just sell the GR and K-30 and get the K-5IIs, plus have the K-01 around for those sunny IR days
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote

IMO, not only is the K-01 better suited for IR conversion than any other Pentax body but I one-upped it by using a Hoodman loupe to make viewing the lcd really pleasant. I originally had the loupe for some video trials but after the IR conversion its married to the K-01 now. Recommended if you hate using lcd in the Sun.

Lens - after trying the da21, da15, fa35, Sigma 24/1.8 in a short time I discovered the venerable da16-45/4 is my favorite. Its size gives you something to hang on to besides the obvious advantages of a zoom.

I wondered about using the aging Q for conversion just for the portability of having it in the field all the time. But I have no need for two. Anyway, good luck and enjoy!
11-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanDwyer Quote
Still mulling it over... might just sell the GR and K-30 and get the K-5IIs, plus have the K-01 around for those sunny IR days

Sounds like a decent plan but whatever you decide...best of luck to you, btw that 5IIs without the AA filter is a sweet one for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
IMO, not only is the K-01 better suited for IR conversion than any other Pentax body but I one-upped it by using a Hoodman loupe to make viewing the lcd really pleasant. I originally had the loupe for some video trials but after the IR conversion its married to the K-01 now. Recommended if you hate using lcd in the Sun.

Lens - after trying the da21, da15, fa35, Sigma 24/1.8 in a short time I discovered the venerable da16-45/4 is my favorite. Its size gives you something to hang on to besides the obvious advantages of a zoom.

I wondered about using the aging Q for conversion just for the portability of having it in the field all the time. But I have no need for two. Anyway, good luck and enjoy!

Great tip regarding the loupe...I will definitely weigh this option and I think you made the right choice between the Q and the K, so many interesting lens possibilities with a K mount IR.