Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #31

Original Poster
Here's a few pix from my K-01 that I've decided to sell, and one of the beast itself...

11-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey DonovanDwyer, I really like that shot of the big airplane. the first one with the vehicle would be on my list but for the distracting background like the trailor. I need to try some neat subjects like that and stop shooting only bushes and trees .

BTW for those who wonder if 720mm is the best conversion to go with, I believe it is because you can buy a set of higher filters for however much or little you want to spend. I got a 750mm, 850mm, 950mm pack and thus have the option of shooting 720 for more false color or up to 950 for Ansel Adams style monochrome.
11-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Hey DonovanDwyer, I really like that shot of the big airplane. the first one with the vehicle would be on my list but for the distracting background like the trailor. I need to try some neat subjects like that and stop shooting only bushes and trees .

BTW for those who wonder if 720mm is the best conversion to go with, I believe it is because you can buy a set of higher filters for however much or little you want to spend. I got a 750mm, 850mm, 950mm pack and thus have the option of shooting 720 for more false color or up to 950 for Ansel Adams style monochrome.
Thanks Guy! The first photo is using the Lensbaby 2.0, makes most backgrounds look like that

Another way to go is have it converted to full-spectrum and always use a filter to control the wavelength cutoff, even make it a visible light camera again. I almost went that route...
11-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanDwyer Quote

Another way to go is have it converted to full-spectrum and always use a filter to control the wavelength cutoff, even make it a visible light camera again. I almost went that route...

I was not smart enough to think of that and Szabo did not mention it in all of our emails. But I would have gone for it if I had known and if it gives the same results. Think I will ask him about that option....

11-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanDwyer Quote
Thanks Guy!

Love these shots guys. Maks me want to try a modified camera.

A full spectrum would be nice, but having to use filters kills it for me. That means no DA10-17 or Sigma 8-16.

imtheguy,suprised you use the 16-45 the most. Mine has a big hotspot when used on non modified cam with IR filter. The 18-55 kills it. This is why I want a modded body. Access to wider lenses.
thanks
barondla

Love the Q idea. Actually have 590, 720, 870 filters for the 01. No really wide option, except the new zoom lens they just announced. Q would be so much easier to carry in big bag for the few times it is needed.
11-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

imtheguy,suprised you use the 16-45 the most. Mine has a big hotspot when used on non modified cam with IR filter. The 18-55 kills it. This is why I want a modded body. Access to wider lenses.
thanks
barondla

Yes, I have the hot spot issue too and was hoping I could learn how to compose so that it does not show. Otherwise its back to the da21mm.
11-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the hot spot. In medium format photography they have special filters that are dark in the center and lighter at the edges to give even illumination across the frame. I am no guru at post processing, but would it not be possible to make a similar layer mask and have the hot spot removed? The 18-55 has no hotspot.
thanks
barondla

11-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
About the hot spot. In medium format photography they have special filters that are dark in the center and lighter at the edges to give even illumination across the frame. I am no guru at post processing, but would it not be possible to make a similar layer mask and have the hot spot removed? The 18-55 has no hotspot.
thanks
barondla

I have been unable to repair any obvious hot spots in CS6 but am far from a "shop" guru. I have tried a half-dozen lenses and guess its time to determine which ones ever produce the hot spot and if it is only one out of 6, the problem gets solved easily.
11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 18-55 is one of the best IR lenses. I have been told the 10-17 has very little to no hotspot, and the 12-24 a small amount (less than the 16-45). I don't have IR filters to fit these lenses. So no testing. The 15 Ltd is supposed to be sweet with IR.
thanks
barondla