Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My vote is radiation or just general vibration damaging the electronics.. If its back to normal now that its landed, its probably not the electronics. Did you have SR turned on or off? Im wondering if the pressure could affect operation

09-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #17

Original Poster
There seems like a lot of different opinions. Since the camera seems fine now, I wonder if the combination of temperature and condensation inside the camera body on the sensor accounts for it. This was the first time I've tried a MILC. There is a lot of big empty space inside, unlike the compact cameras I've been using, which perhaps are better sealed? It's actually warmer at 100k feet than lower down, but still freezing. Perhaps I will try putting the camera in the freezer with a flashlight pointed at it to see what happens.
09-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Once you get the kinks worked out of this, you will have the most amazing photos!! You need to Have a thread just for them!!
09-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Once you get the kinks worked out of this, you will have the most amazing photos!! You need to Have a thread just for them!!
Yeah, it just costs $1000 every time I do this! I'll be sure to post a link here to my website when I've got the photos from this expedition sorted out.

09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pressure, condensation or radiation seems to be the top guesses. Maybe contact Pentax and see if they know anything?
09-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joflaig Quote
Yeah, it just costs $1000 every time I do this! I'll be sure to post a link here to my website when I've got the photos from this expedition sorted out.
WOW! more money than I have!! Serious thought, maybe you can get some sponsorship, photo sites or even Pentax! Think of the ad spin on this for them!
09-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Maybe a lens filter?
I am really interested to see some shots.
Last time I was (only a little bit) involved with this was in 1972 in Australia where the balloons were launched with a tiny vacuum tube telemetry transmitter and target, close to a height finding radar. Such radars were not so common in Australia in those days.

09-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

These images show the sensor was giving wrong readings (clipping data on some color channels), what I would expect if the sensor gets either too cold or too hot.
09-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #24
Banned

Wow looks very weard. No idea on that, but my best guess would be to use the seald K-5 with DA*lens combo. No idea if this would work on that altitude. I think you will risk the same problem by repeting this test with K-01. On the other hand, maybe it doesn't, since it workt for a good time, but didn't get back to normal functioning when up in the air after the fault started. So maybe that is just a risk to take and maybe it only accurrs next time much later or not.
09-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Wow looks very weard. No idea on that, but my best guess would be to use the seald K-5 with DA*lens combo. No idea if this would work on that altitude. I think you will risk the same problem by repeting this test with K-01. On the other hand, maybe it doesn't, since it workt for a good time, but didn't get back to normal functioning when up in the air after the fault started. So maybe that is just a risk to take and maybe it only accurrs next time much later or not.
The K-5 would be a fair alternative. It's hard to say if the extra sealing would help. If there was condensation inside on the sensor then perhaps. If it was due to cold, then likely not. The k-01 is lighter and has a built in intervalometer. I'll see what happens when testing the k-01 in the freezer and if the problem occurs then I'll have to come up with some way to heat the camera.
09-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
Banned

Did the camera turn off everytime or did it stay on and thus creating heat to keep the camera warm (but burning the battery)?.
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, maybe it would actually be a good idea to contact Pentax. A local branch or the headquarters (it would probably be best to email as many as possible, so you at least get some response)
I seem to remember seeing, some time ago, a DA 35mm f2.4 lens modified for an expedition to one of the poles (north or south, not sure). Not sure if it was official, but Pentax is used for such extreme things.
09-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #28

Original Poster
Here's a link to the trip highlights, and here is a link to the k-01 pics. You'll probably notice the lens flare in some of them. I didn't use a hood, but I wonder under the circumstances if that would have mattered.
09-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Looking at the (great!) pics makes me wonder if the sun may have overheated the sensor?
09-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It aint just the magenta... what are all the vertical lines?