Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joflaig Quote
Here's a link to the trip highlights, and here is a link to the k-01 pics. You'll probably notice the lens flare in some of them. I didn't use a hood, but I wonder under the circumstances if that would have mattered.
Some great shots there!
Are you thinking of adding a strong UV filter and adding a tight lens hood? Im thinking that the UV light up there might not be "recorded" by the sensor, it might still affect it in some way

09-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #32

I suspect it is because of the CMOS sensor in K-01. From your link, your previous attempt did't encounter this problem because that canon compact use CCD sensor. From my experience, using 2 Fujifilm compact with different sensor, sunset/sunrise image is better in CCD camera. If anyone have both K10/K200 and another CMOS body from Pentax, maybe they can reconfirm this by shooting sunset (in JPEG, see the color variation)

My opinion: CMOS sensor is more prone to interference from direct sunlight

Thanks
09-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #33
Site Supporter

I experienced this with my own K-01 once. Fortunately it was only a single frame. It looked a lot like your shots - some kind of digital corruption with weird colors.

I have taken a few thousand shots since then and it has not recurred. Strange.

In my case it occurred at approximately, um, 2 m above sea level at a temperature of around 20 C. Very challenging conditions!
10-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Yay, I wondered if the vertical lines was just me,...

I'd say the cold caused them, possibly shrinking a connector away from the sensor - the sort that are just a press on fit - and going by the repeating pattern to those lines, it could be something that supplies or reads in a repeated pattern, such as not getting a proper clock cycle.

The purple would definitely be the extra UV bouncing around in the lens - the camera working perfectly on the ground after this should indicate there's no damage to it.

As for the Temp sensor,... does it read data below 14 degrees, or just stop there,...?

I'd see about wrapping the camera to keep it warmer under those conditions, and wrapping the lens barrel too.

10-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow... that is intreaguing indeed. Did you use a UV Filter ? The amount of UV Light at this altitude must be phenomenal, no doubt that a top quality UV Filter is a must I would think. This won't solve the vertical banding, maybe not even the apparent UV overload. The banding could be caused by just about anything extreme such as electronic interferances (it's a pretty regular and repetitive pattern, which points to a man made electronic source) to the effect of cold temperature on circuitry (easy to replicate the low temperature one) and/or low air pressure or combination of all of the above could. The SD Card may be the culprit too, who knows. Just pure speculation on my part. Pentax engineers may be interested in your observations, if only out of curiosity. It wouldn't be too difficult to replicate the conditions in a Lab at your local University, they may have fun doing such as a project ! If I were you, at $1K a pop, I'd be doing some equipment endurance testing on the ground for sure.
10-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by joflaig Quote
Here's a link to the trip highlights, and here is a link to the k-01 pics. You'll probably notice the lens flare in some of them. I didn't use a hood, but I wonder under the circumstances if that would have mattered.
Those are some absolutely spectacular shots. WOW!