Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FW 1.04 and longer AF lenses: any improvement?

Hi all,

In the new firmware thread, some people were claiming faster AF with lenses like the DA 40XS. Has anyone tested with longer (slower) lenses like DA(-L) 55-300? Any improvement? Just wondering...

--
Doundounba

09-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The AF focus throw seems shorter on my 80-320mm. Less hunting, no more going the wrong way to the end of the lens travel then back.

09-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Hi all,

In the new firmware thread, some people were claiming faster AF with lenses like the DA 40XS. Has anyone tested with longer (slower) lenses like DA(-L) 55-300? Any improvement? Just wondering...

--
Doundounba
Sounds like the placebo effect to me. Whenever Pentax has made improvements, they're always been documented.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Placebo, the 55-300 hunts as much as before.

09-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I did a quick test with the kit 18-55 in low light - as the original FW improvements were most evident on the slower lenses. It is possible, based on my quick before and after tests, that the change in FW might allow focusing further down the EV scale - perhaps by a third of a stop. At the same time, I noticed that in the close-call situations the lens seemed to be hunting a bit more. So, it is possible that the new FW can AF in slightly lower light, but it will hunt more to achieve AF.

I tested only out of curiosity. Personally, I tend to rely on MF and fast lenses in low light situations - so it wasn't an issue where I felt the need for further improvements. In fact, I'd rather have the outcome cut-and-dried rather than dealing with the focus hunting problem in marginal light. Again, not a drastic change; only a change in that very narrow EV area between adequate light and too dim. The slow aperture hunting problem was much more drastic in the earliest firmware versions.