Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No more K-01 on Ricoh/Pentax website?

Went to something called the Pentax Webstore a few minutes ago. Which is actually a Ricoh website. Oops, no K-01. Even worse, no sky-blue K-01. Then, looked for a GR, which is in stock. But no product details, like the battery name, if I wanted to get a spare.

Looks like another triumph of Japanese marketing. No wonder they're in the tank, economically. Makes you feel so confident as a buyer, like buying a car made in Swaziland!

09-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Went to something called the Pentax Webstore a few minutes ago. Which is actually a Ricoh website. Oops, no K-01. Even worse, no sky-blue K-01. Then, looked for a GR, which is in stock. But no product details, like the battery name, if I wanted to get a spare.

Looks like another triumph of Japanese marketing. No wonder they're in the tank, economically. Makes you feel so confident as a buyer, like buying a car made in Swaziland!
The K-01 has been discontinued for a while. The blue one is probably all sold out by now, and they probably didn't make very many of them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Looks like another triumph of American marketing. No wonder they're in the tank, economically. Makes you feel so confident as a buyer, like buying a car made in America!

FYI, we can read this in "other" countries, we too have the internet...
09-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@calsan -- but Cal, can you find a store over there that has a Ricoh GR to look at? I'm in southern California, and there are none to be found. They should never announce a product if it's not available at the point-of-sale.

Sorry if my post sounded nationalistic. I'm not anti-Japanese ... they love baseball, and made some good cars a few years ago. And they came up with two great companies, Pentax and Honda, that I deeply respect.

Am sad the K-01 is discontinued. There's something unique and special about it (besides Marc Newsom's signature on the bottom). I like mine. Bought it at a good price, used it for some basic architectural photography with PocketWizard Plus flash triggers, and a Hoodman loupe gaffer-taped on the back. Great camera on a tripod, when you have time to compose the shot.

09-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In Australia, we're pretty hard done by as far as selection goes.
In Japan, there are multi storey camera shops like BIC camera and Yodobashi. They're great. A man could lose his marriage there.
09-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@calsan -- hang onto that wallet! Over here, it's electric car madness ... more and more Tesla S sedans zipping around. The next ones ... Model X ... will have slide-in, slide out batteries. Tesla is building their own recharging stations... rolling the dice, like Rockefeller did in 1920 with his gas station chain. Not waiting for the government.

As for photography, the 20-somethings are all into smartphones. If you talk to one of them when you are carrying a DSLR, they just look at you curiously. They know what it is, but something like my K-30 has as much relevance to them as a Model T car did to me at that age. Changes!

But I'll bet if we re-sold K-01s to the younger people, claiming psychic photography powers, it would work. At least here in California. 'Photograph the future... see when you'll get a job!' kind of thing...
09-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
In Japan, there are multi storey camera shops like BIC camera and Yodobashi. They're great. A man could lose his marriage there.
There are? Hmm, my wife was thinking of us taking a holiday in Japan.........

09-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Bic Camera Yokohama West Branch / Computer Store Yokohama Station branch - Yokohama Visitors' Guide
Yodobashi Camera Multi Media Yokohama - Yokohama Visitors' Guide

That's just two that I went to in Yokohama. You will need to pick up at least 3 or 4 lenses to be properly prepared for cherry blossom season.
09-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The smurf abides

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Even worse, no sky-blue K-01.
It's still out there:

K-01 White×Blue | RICOH IMAGING
09-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Still showing on Canada's page, which means nothing...lol

Ricoh Imaging Canada | K-01.
09-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Bic Camera Yokohama West Branch / Computer Store Yokohama Station branch - Yokohama Visitors' Guide
Yodobashi Camera Multi Media Yokohama - Yokohama Visitors' Guide

That's just two that I went to in Yokohama. You will need to pick up at least 3 or 4 lenses to be properly prepared for cherry blossom season.
Head to Shinjuku, for many and big camera stores. The Yokohama branches of Bic and Yodobashi are tiny and quaint in comparison to the branches there.....
09-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

In Japan, Ricoh and Pentax's presences are in the camera stores everywhere they sell cameras; not hiding in the corner either. I have no problem finding and trying the new and old models.