Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two bodies bags?

Hi all,

I was recently able to aquire a (used, black) second K-01 body (with a DA 35mm F/2.4) to go along with my pandatrooper. I'm very happy with this purchase, and it has led to a rethinking of my lens needs & shooting strategies. But also, it has me thinking about bags, which is what I'd like to ask the group about. I'd like to try out both a "two-bodies & two-zooms" walkaround kit (Sigma 10-20 and 17-70) as well as a "two bodies and three primes" walkaround kit (and here I wish I had the DA 15, but since I don't, it would probably be some combination of 24/35/50 & 90mm). And I'd like to have quick and easy access to both bodies. Because the K-01 is much less tall than something like a K-5, I think some bags should allow me to "stack" both bodies, but in my current bag (Caselogic DCB-308), that just works out very awkwardly (I think because the insert assumes much larger bodies and longer lenses)...

So, for those of you that carry around a dual K-01 kit, which bags do you use? What do you carry in them and how well do they work?

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-15-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: fix
10-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The bag I use for my Pentax kit is the now officially discontinued Tenba Black Label Large shoulder bag:

Amazon.com: Tenba Black Label 638-445 Large Shoulder Bag (Black): Camera & Photo

I can either fit my two K-01 bodies in the "lens" pouches (with either the 40mm pancake or body cap on each camera body) or I can attach a larger prime lens to each camera and put them sideways in the two camera spots.

Now that I'm also shooting with the K-5 IIs I usually have that camera in one of the main camera spots with a 55mm or 77mm lens, one K-01 with 40mm in a lens spot, and the other K-01 with a Sigma 14mm f2.8 in the other camera spot. the rest of the interior lens pockets have other primes and I have flashes and flash diffusers in the exterior pockets.
10-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
So, for those of you that carry around a dual K-01 kit, which bags do you use? What do you carry in them and how well do they work?
This is definately on the minimalist side of things and since we all know you can get a big backpack and cram a bunch of stuff in it this is more of a simple day of shooting bag. I really like mine and I'm excited to see that they have updated it. Check the mountainsmith website for that. I can put my DSLR + lens on one side and my K-01 + lens on another and still have room under the grip portion of the camera for another lens or a small flash w/out tilt. A nice shoulder strap but I like the lumbar pack style carry the most. Built by a reputable outdoor product manufacturer it is well made for sure.

Mountainsmith Tour FX
10-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
This is definately on the minimalist side of things and since we all know you can get a big backpack and cram a bunch of stuff in it [...]
Exactly! We all know you can get a huge bag and fit a ton of stuff in it. What I'm looking for is a small bag, not designed for a lot of stuff, but that would (perhaps unexpectedly) fit two K-01 with primes and a spare lens - something like, say, 15-35-70, or (more likely for me) 24-50-90, though the 90s are starting to be large I guess. I hadn't thought of a fanny pack, but it might be a good idea...

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-17-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typos
10-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The one I suggested will work for sure. I like to use the shoulder strap in a cross body style and the hip strap on and the bag against my bag. Then, when I need to change a lens or camera I can unclip the hip belt and swing the bag around the front. You should have no problem fitting 2 cameras w/ lenses and you should also be able to fit at least 2 additional lenses, possibly 3 in the bag I suggested.
10-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hey Pascal, in case your still checking bags out you might want to consider the Thinktank Retrospective 5. I have been using this bag for about 4 months or so and I love it. It doesn't scream "camera bag" when out and about so its fairly inconspicuous. It looks like a nice messenger bag and this size is perfect for my K01 kit ( only 10" x 8.5" x 6" external dimension ), in fact I do use it sometimes with two bodies with lenses attached and I still have another internal section to fit a variety of stuff such as a larger lens or a couple of stacked limited lenses and/or various other gear. I have used it in urban environments as well as on the trail with equal comfort; I just sling it across my chest and have it rest around my lower back which keeps it out of the way.

It truly is nice and compact...one of the benefits of having a K01 kit is the ability to travel lighter and smaller and for me this extends to the gear bag as well. Its durable ( will probably outlast my gear ), is well padded, looks great, is comfortable, customizable ( comes with several dividers, I still have 3 xtra not in use ) and is treated with a water repellent ( but also comes with a rain cover ). They offer the bag in 3 colors ( I got "pinestone" ) and there are other sizes in the Retrospective line but I find the 5 is the most portable while still allowing me to pack in a good amount of gear.

Here are a couple of photos I took ( some with gear ) to give you an idea...

Here is a link to the product page
10-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That thinktank bag is nice, but not $200 nice.

You'd do just as well, and be almost as inconspicuous, with a Tamrac Rally 5. And at less than half the cost.

Charles.
10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

+1 for the tamrac rally series. I use a rally 6 for just a bit more room for 2 k5 with lenses and a flash.
Amazon.com: Tamrac 3446 Rally 6 Camera Bag (Black): Electronics

10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
That thinktank bag is nice, but not $200 nice.

You'd do just as well, and be almost as inconspicuous, with a Tamrac Rally 5. And at less than half the cost.

Charles.
"To each his own" I say and its actually $145 not $200. The lifetime warranty, the quality and feel of the materials, the aesthetics, and its level of customization are worth it in my opinion, at least for me, especially considering the cost of the gear that's being carried inside the bag. I had a Timbuk 2 snoop XS that was similar in size and form to the Rally 5 but the Retrospective 5 is noticeably smaller and yet it still fits 2 K01s comfortably with room to spare. Being that one of the draws for me to move toward a smaller K01 kit was that it is smaller, I wanted as small of a gear bag that I could get away with that still provides me plenty of options.

Now considering the OP's statement ...
What I'm looking for is a small bag, not designed for a lot of stuff, but that would (perhaps unexpectedly) fit two K-01 with primes and a spare lens
...even the Retrospective 5 might be slightly overkill. That being said I do like that Mountain Smith Tour FX bag and although it is on the larger side I might consider its little brother the Swift FX for a secure single body kit gear bag for an over seas trip next year...I'm thinking I can wear the pouch toward the front for more security. There are tons of bags out there and I've had my share, but for what I am working with these days I am happy with what this gear bag offers for me. Anyways I'm just throwing it out there and I thought I would show and describe how it does function for me with a two K01 kit.

Good luck to the OP and I'm sure you'll end up with whatever works best for you and let us know because everyone's needs are a little different and its nice to see what options are out there.
10-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's a bag. I will never spend $145 for a bag. Sorry, that's ridiculous. I've paid less for cameras and lenses (AF lenses at that). A $50 will do the job just as well.

Charles.
10-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's a bag. I will never spend $145 for a bag. Sorry, that's ridiculous. I've paid less for cameras and lenses (AF lenses at that). A $50 will do the job just as well.

Charles.
In that case, you won't find much better value than the Amazon 'Basics' line of bags if you're looking for an inexpensive bag:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag (Orange interior): Camera & Photo
10-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Charles.
More power to ya brother and nothing to be " sorry " about, we are all free to make whatever consumer choices we want for ourselves...but by your definition then a large percentage of these threads here on PF are full of " ridiculous " spending as it seems many here want gear and accessories that go beyond the ability to only " do the job just as well " Now, if you think the cost for thinktank bags is excessive look at what some people will pay for these ...no way in hell I'm going anywhere near some of those prices! Besides those definitely don't suit my style.
10-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all. Thanks for all the advice. I've been mulling my options, but no clear winner has emerged. The Tamrac Rally line looks like the most appealing possibility, but it seems to me people are going with very large bags. I already have the Tamrac Rally 2, the smallest of the range, and it can *almost* already do what I asked for. In fact, I can pack a two K-01s & 3 primes combo into it, as long as one of the primes is the DA 40SX (and it's always on one of the bodies). So, if I had a 15 and a 70, I could (almost certainly) do 15/40XS/70 with this very bag. But given my lenses what I'd like is 24/35/50, and that doesn't work. I can do 24/40/50 but that doesn't seem quite as useful as a combo. So I'm thinking about the Rally 4, and I think that bag might also work for a two bodies and two zooms (10-20 & 17-70) combo but I haven't been able to find one locally to make sure...
10-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

the Rally 5 is nice because it will fit a 7" tablet in the back easily. My nook tablet fits, as does the smaller ipad. Rally 7 will fit the larger ipad and some smaller laptops.

Charles.
10-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Hi all. Thanks for all the advice. I've been mulling my options, but no clear winner has emerged. The Tamrac Rally line looks like the most appealing possibility, but it seems to me people are going with very large bags. I already have the Tamrac Rally 2, the smallest of the range, and it can *almost* already do what I asked for. In fact, I can pack a two K-01s & 3 primes combo into it, as long as one of the primes is the DA 40SX (and it's always on one of the bodies). So, if I had a 15 and a 70, I could (almost certainly) do 15/40XS/70 with this very bag. But given my lenses what I'd like is 24/35/50, and that doesn't work. I can do 24/40/50 but that doesn't seem quite as useful as a combo. So I'm thinking about the Rally 4, and I think that bag might also work for a two bodies and two zooms (10-20 & 17-70) combo but I haven't been able to find one locally to make sure...
Externally the Rally 2 is a bit smaller than what I'm using but I guess the internal size is where its too tight. There's plenty of room in the Retrospective 5...in fact a bit more than I need most times ( I don't use two bodies very often however that may change once I convert one to IR), but I've actually been greatly considering the Rally Micro for a one body gear bag with perhaps a couple of limiteds. Its super compact but there really aren't any places locally with anything in stock other than lowpro . Just curious, since you have one, do you think the Rally 2 is too large for a one body system with a couple of limiteds? Well whenever you get your ideal solution keep us updated and post a quick pic on how it functions for you if you can.